cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone + Drivers = No microphone? (G750JZ)

dne0gen
Level 7
I have the ROG G750 JZ.
When I install the audio drivers for my laptop my Razer Kraken Pro mic doesn't work. But when I use a cheap HP headset it works.
If I scream really loudly you can barely hear some sort of robotic sound.
When I uninstall my audio drivers the razer mic works, but as you would expect having no drivers leads to other issues.
The only difference between the two headsets is that the HP mic jack has 1 ring, and the Razer mic has 2.
The headset has been tested and works on other laptops flawlessly but doesn't work on mine. It works only when I uninstall the drivers.
What could be the reason?

I have tried boosting the mic, I have done everything that could be done software side(or so I think).
18 REPLIES 18

hmscott
Level 12
dne0gen wrote:
I have the ROG G750 JZ.
When I install the audio drivers for my laptop my Razer Kraken Pro mic doesn't work. But when I use a cheap HP headset it works.
If I scream really loudly you can barely hear some sort of robotic sound.
When I uninstall my audio drivers the razer mic works, but as you would expect having no drivers leads to other issues.
The only difference between the two headsets is that the HP mic jack has 1 ring, and the Razer mic has 2.
The headset has been tested and works on other laptops flawlessly but doesn't work on mine. It works only when I uninstall the drivers.
What could be the reason?
I have tried boosting the mic, I have done everything that could be done software side(or so I think).

dne0gen, if you search through the forums you will find noone has made the Kraken work with Windows 8.1 - it is the Intel USB drivers, which after Windows 7 Intel doesn't release - and the Microsoft ones don't work right.

Users that have downgraded to Windows 7 report the Kraken works, here is a post:

What headphones do you use with your g750?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35545-What-headphones-do-you-use-with-your-g750&p=372920&v...

I have found a procedure to install the Windows 7 USB drivers onto Windows 8/8.1, and I tried it on my G750JH, and it works.

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec!&p=464477&viewfull...

I don't know if that is enough to get the Kraken to work on Windows 8.1, but it might be worth a try.

dne0gen
Level 7
When you tell me to install Windows 7 USB drivers you are keeping in mind that the Kraken Pro is not a USB headset, right?

dne0gen wrote:
When you tell me to install Windows 7 USB drivers you are keeping in mind that the Kraken Pro is not a USB headset, right?

dne0gen, the complaint I recalled, that the USB 3.0 wasn't working with the Kraken USB headphones... if your's aren't USB, then that isn't it.

Razer Kraken USB - Essential Surround Sound Gaming Headset
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken-usb

Then find a splitter/adapter:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-accessories/audio-mic-splitter-adapter-for-the-razer-electra <== some say this one works, some say it doesn't

"I had the same problem initially, and I even have the same motherboard as you. It turns out that none of that mattered. My problem was that the audio cord from the headphone wasn't plugged completely into the splitter. It takes a little bit more force to plug it in than you'd expect, and if it is halfway plugged in, it will still play audio through the headphones. Hope this helps. "
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2010177/razer-kraken-pro-built-mic-working-picked.html

I recall this getting worked out... let me look around...

dne0gen
Level 7
As far as I can tell that person had an issue with his audio jack itself, while mine is working perfectly but stops working after I install my audio drivers.

dne0gen wrote:
As far as I can tell that person had an issue with his audio jack itself, while mine is working perfectly but stops working after I install my audio drivers.

dne0gen, that's what they all complain about, the drivers, once uninstalled it works for them, but not for you, right?

You still get nothing out of the microphone when plugged in to the G750JZ, and you noticed your multi-ring plug is different than the single ring plug that does work.

That is why I am trying to track down the splitter that worked with the Kraken plug and allowed a splitter to interface and work with the G750.

But, I haven't found it yet.

Are you using the Razor splitter, or plugging directly in, or?

Which Realtek driver are you using, 7335 is the newest that seems to work otherwise.

And I am not using any software since these headphones do not require third party applications to work correctly. They are as simple as a normal $10 headset is, except they are better quality.

dne0gen wrote:
And I am not using any software since these headphones do not require third party applications to work correctly. They are as simple as a normal $10 headset is, except they are better quality.

dne0gen, it looks like you have been looking for a solution for a long time:

G750 JZ is crazy
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48726-G750-JZ-is-crazy

There are lots of complaints from lots of people that this doesn't work out of the box, maybe give up on these headphones, sell them on craigslist/??? and move on to something that works?

If it works in another socket / PC/Mac but doesn't work in the G750JZ, then the connector/wiring isn't correct and you need to fix that before it will work. Pushing in the cable so it fits correctly, rewiring the adapter, are all potential solutions.

The Realtek software maps the signals from the ports, just like on a desktop PC audio, so when removing that software you start to hear a signal, but it is un-amplified.

The Realtek software/plug wiring aren't compatible with the one from Razer for the Kraken, what did Razer say?

There are lots of other headsets, regular and USB that work fine with the G750 series, after all this time maybe it is time to give up and let it go?

hmscott
Level 12
dne0gen, sorry, not finding it, everything I am finding are splitters for other Razer headphones, the one I found before mentioned the Razer Kraken and worked. The post is in here somewhere as well.

I assume you are using the Razer Synapse software to manage the headphones, and I don't have it installed so I can't check, but is there anything to manage the microphone?

http://www.razerzone.com/synapse/

It is likely going to be something to adapt the connector to the one on the G750JZ. It should work with the 7335 driver, and the Synapse software.

If I run across it I will post again, but for now, I am coming up short on the link. 🙂

dne0gen
Level 7
Correct.
I didn't quite understand what you are trying to track down but as long as it is a try for help I am thankful.
I am using the razer splitter, since without it I can only use the audio jack slot.
Realtek drivers are 6.0.1.7304