cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Asus Rog G771JW optical drive face plate (bezel) - solved

CrazyLonG
Level 7
Hi!

A year or so ago I bought an Asus Rog G771JW and recently the face plate of the optical drive went loose because one of its pins broke (i really have no clue how it happened).

I tried using some glue, but it broke again. So i really have no idea how to repair it, I guess it should be replaced (unless you guys have some ideas).

I was thinking of replacing the optical drive with a ssh caddy, that way i gain some extra storage space while still using the same face plate. But still,
the same face plate would be used (because optical drives don't get shipped with the face plate). Would it be held in place by the same 'mechanism'
(i.e. the pin that broke)? Because in that case the current face plate is useless. The face plate is not standard, it's specially made for this model (it has
a rounded shape and it's a bit wider than other face plates, so maybe buying one from another similar model could work).

Do you guys have any idea where I could buy one? Or if this thing is even possible?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
Probably eBay you might find one. I think there all different for different models I doubt that one from a G752 would be the same for a G771. Perhaps you attempted to use the wrong type of glue? I'm thinking the Gel versions of superglue would work. You should pull the Optical driver out of the unit and the try the glue once in the proper alignment leave it sit for 24 hours. The Caddy's to convert to hard drive are found on eBay. That is a good Idea, if your like me you don't really need a Optical drive any longer and once installed the hard drive wouldn't be removed so your cover will have a better chance of staying put
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Probably eBay you might find one. I think there all different for different models I doubt that one from a G752 would be the same for a G771. Perhaps you attempted to use the wrong type of glue? I'm thinking the Gel versions of superglue would work. You should pull the Optical driver out of the unit and the try the glue once in the proper alignment leave it sit for 24 hours. The Caddy's to convert to hard drive are found on eBay. That is a good Idea, if your like me you don't really need a Optical drive any longer and once installed the hard drive wouldn't be removed so your cover will have a better chance of staying put

You are right, I don't really need that optical drive and I would replace without thinking twice. The problem is that there is no reliable way of
making that bezel stay in its place (not with that pin broken). The superglue didn't work, and i doubt that any other glue will, because of the
tiny contact surface that it has.

I have attached a picure of it below:

Perhaps with the Hard drive caddy installed you will have a better surface to work with or room to put a small screw in to help the glue work. Most likely this plastic is PVC of some type so maybe PVC Multi purpose glue would work. I think you'll have a better surface to work with on a hard drive caddy. You usually have to fabricate some sort of adapter to get your face plate to line up with the edge of your notebook anyway
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hi, here in Germany you can buy that bezel for the ODD for about € 19.- . Shipping will be € 6,50 to the USA.
In dollar it is ~ 27.-

If you're interested I will send you the address of the homepage.

Best regards
Reddeer2000

CLK208MB230K wrote:
Hi, here in Germany you can buy that bezel for the ODD for about € 19.- . Shipping will be € 6,50 to the USA.
In dollar it is ~ 27.-

If you're interested I will send you the address of the homepage.

Best regards
Reddeer2000

Could you please provide a link? Thanks!

Clintlgm wrote:
Perhaps with the Hard drive caddy installed you will have a better surface to work with or room to put a small screw in to help the glue work. Most likely this plastic is PVC of some type so maybe PVC Multi purpose glue would work. I think you'll have a better surface to work with on a hard drive caddy. You usually have to fabricate some sort of adapter to get your face plate to line up with the edge of your notebook anyway

I thought that the bezel would fit right on, I didn't know that you actually have to do anything more than that.

CLK208MB230K wrote:
https://www.ipc-computer.de/notebook-ersatzteile/asus/notebook-g-serie/g771jw-serie/gehause

Thanks! Are they shipping all across europe?

Julskey
Level 10
Try silicone sealant along the edge to fix it in place. Leave untouched for 24 hours. Once dry, it should be strong enough.