cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Graphics Driver from Windows Update (Crash, Windows 10)

connexion2000
Level 7
Hi,
several days ago I cleanly installed Windows 10. As you may have noticed Windows 10 installs drivers automatically. It has installed Intel Graphics Driver, same version as on Asus Support site: V10.18.15.4256.
Unfortunatelly this driver is buggy and from time to time it crashes showing error that: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". New version of drivers from Intel fixes this bug, this version is: 15.40.14.64.4352, from 22 Dec.
My question is: Does Windows Update install drivers directly from Intel or from Asus support site? When new driver comes out on Intel webiste, will it appear on Windows Update and update my computer or do I have to do it manually?
4 REPLIES 4

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hello there new ROG citizen,
The ROG population is known to be non-telepathic in their current life time.
It is highly advisable to tell other your ROG laptop model or any other tech details so they will have a slight chance to help other, based on that info.

As always, feel free to visit us at the ROG central forum for any future question.

signing out,
VaultTec,
ASUS department,
ROG unit.

aham...( bombs dropped... 250 years passed in cryo-atomic-bomb-shelter, when waking up... )

Asus barely updates it own drivers... so don't think there for sec that you'll push anything through MS windows updates.
Windows update drivers from thier own servers - you can check it manually through Microsoft®Update Catalog ( note that it works only on IE )
nontheless, it is NOT MS who develops part of these drivers, but them might put changes in them.
Also, many MS provided drivers come WITHOUT the driver's config apps - thus it might be good idea to get the full package from the OEM manufacturer.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Hey,
thanks for help. I own G551JW.

So to sum up:

• Microsoft provides drivers for laptop on Windows Update independent of Asus
  • It is accident that Nvidia and Intel drivers installed through Windows Update match version on Asus support site
  • We may expect that Microsoft will roll update through Windows Update for Intel Graphics drivers

Am I right with above statements?

Edit: Also, it is worth noticing, that we may disable installing drivers according to this manual: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10 . However this will block installing drivers like: NVidia, Intel HD Graphics, Realtek Audio, but will not block drivers like: Intel Chipset, Management Engine, Intel Wifi, Realtek Ethernet, Realtek Card Reader. Its complete nonsense to me.

connexion2000 wrote:
Hey,
thanks for help. I own G551JW.

So to sum up:

• Microsoft provides drivers for laptop on Windows Update independent of Asus
  • It is accident that Nvidia and Intel drivers installed through Windows Update match version on Asus support site
  • We may expect that Microsoft will roll update through Windows Update for Intel Graphics drivers

Am I right with above statements?

Edit: Also, it is worth noticing, that we may disable installing drivers according to this manual: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10 . However this will block installing drivers like: NVidia, Intel HD Graphics, Realtek Audio, but will not block drivers like: Intel Chipset, Management Engine, Intel Wifi, Realtek Ethernet, Realtek Card Reader. Its complete nonsense to me.

The summery sounds about right...

Windows 10 "concept" was built with the idea that users don't need to know any technical details in computers whatsoever.
this is of course bad news.... cuz we want super tweaked laptop - inorder to get the best performance, the stable as it can be.
My advise - disable that fraking auto-update... and control you own drivers manually.
If you need some Plug&Play - switch it back on - then off after you've finished getting your drivers.

that hole auto-update procedure on win10 is just crap in my opinion and many others.
Through the "windows update" you also getting drivers updates....
this is a long talk and explanation....
Best you read about more in http://forums.mydigitallife.info/.
some solutions exist for controlling the windows updates & driver updates
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Thanks for explanation.
Happy New Year.