cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT CPU temp reaches 100 degrees celsius while playing Crysis3

ukiyapaul
Level 7
Hi, I just tried to play crysis 3 again with my Asus G752VT and while playing I noticed the average temp is around 90 degrees celsius and on some scenes it goes up 100 degrees.
I dont think this is normal, playing left4dead2 is around 70+ degrees and AVA around 75-85.

Is this normal? GPU went up to 74 degrees while the CPU was at 100.
25 REPLIES 25

Clintlgm
Level 14
You need to do some serious testing, what happens when you run Furmark, What happens when you run something like Test in using 100% of your CPU. these are the kinds of test that will tell you if you have a problem. If your CPU is getting to 100C your probably Throttling also. You can try to clean out your fan and heat sink make sure your dust free tunnel has the plug removed.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
You need to do some serious testing, what happens when you run Furmark, What happens when you run something like Test in using 100% of your CPU. these are the kinds of test that will tell you if you have a problem. If your CPU is getting to 100C your probably Throttling also. You can try to clean out your fan and heat sink make sure your dust free tunnel has the plug removed.

I dont have Furmark and so far I only notice it going to 100% on Crysis 3. I did just test a x265 encoding which took nearly 1hr to finish a 9min 1080p video and CPU temps went up and down 85-98 degrees Celsius but mostly 90+.

miguel_pereira
Level 7
Asus use way too much voltage on the cpu.
Just use throttlestop or XTU to do some undervolting and it'll be fine.

I've dropped from 97°C+ to 80-85°C on the cpu after 3h of witcher 3 on ultra with the undervolting.

I've got a g752vs, but it should be the same.

miguel pereira wrote:
Asus use way too much voltage on the cpu.
Just use throttlestop or XTU to do some undervolting and it'll be fine.

I've dropped from 97°C+ to 80-85°C on the cpu after 3h of witcher 3 on ultra with the undervolting.

I've got a g752vs, but it should be the same.

Will try XTU, not yet sure how to use it but I just downloaded it.

I just noticed that when not doing the stress test the Processor Cache Frequency goes up to 3.49GHz and Max Core Frequency goes up to 3.36Ghz but during stress test its 3.09GHz for Cache and 3.10GHz for core. Is that normal? I thought the max clock speed was supposed to be 3.5GHz.

That means your CPU is throttling. How much undervolting did you try in XTU?

If you want uninstall XTU and try ThrottleStop instead. I use it and once configured is great.
What is your CPU? I'll guide you thru the settings.

ukiyapaul
Level 7
I just did 10min stress test with XTU and temps went up and down the highest temp that I saw was 91 degrees celsius. I get warning message when I try other settings and dont really know how to set them up or if it needs to be altered at all. I read before that Its best if CPU temp does not go over 85 degrees celsius so I try to do that without performance hit.

Ancients
Level 10
This should work for a quick fix for your high temperatures.

Go to your control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > processor power management

From here set your maximum processor state to 99% instead of 100%, and make sure your minimum processor state isn't set to 100%.

This will disable Intel Turbo Boost, limiting your processor to just below the 2.6GHz base clock speed instead of the turbo boost clock speed of up to 3.5GHz. What you're trading away in the boosted performance should be much more manageable temperatures. As an extreme example, before changing these settings my G752VT used to hit 91C playing Overwatch of all things. With the same settings in the game, but with my processor limited to 99% I haven't seen it rise past the mid 60s. I didn't see a drop in performance either. Since you mentioned rendering video, you may see an increase in rendering times, though I would be interested to know how much of an increase.

@Ancients

So you buy these high-performance laptop and then castrate its ability to use the power? Why spend so much in such a laptop then?
Obviously if you stop the turbo option it'll have ok temperatures, but a 2.6Ghz CPU is "slow", especially in rendering and high-fps gaming. Why do that?

Undervolting is a better option, since it keeps all the performance and produces less heat. I'm with my i7-6820HK @3.8ghz and my temperatures dont go above 85ºC. If I dont Oc and keep it @3.6 the temps dont even go above 80ºC.
Asus uses absurd Overvolting in these laptops, and I don't really know why. But its easy to correct.