cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY-T7065D DIMM#3 slot causing flipped bit memory error

ludesign_bg
Level 7
Hi all,

Yesterday I decided to buy this model, when I went home I started installing windows 8.1 and right after the installation I got BSOD with "memory management" error. Installed some games and benchmarks. Few of them finished with no issues at all. Then I tried Dota 2 and got the game crashing few times with "access violation", didn't even bother to look at the dumped core. Tried windows memory diagnostics and hardware failure was detected. So I plugged in my linux mint usb drive and ran memtest86+, I got a lot of errors in tests #4, #6 and #7 all of them with bit flipping with mask 40000000. Left the test to run for 12 hours and got 178 errors (all the same). I am running with 4x8GB sticks (3 crucial and one hyundai electronics). Because the laptop is under warranty I didn't want to mess with slots #1 and #2 so I decided to try removing memory modules from slot #3 and #4.

Tests with configuration:
- slot #1, #2, #3, #4 = bit flipping errors reported by memtest86+; Running the test without any memory module swapping done by me
- slot #1, #2, #4 = no errors reported by memtest86+; So I just removed the memory module from slot #3
- slot #1, #2, #3 = same errors reported by memtest86+; So I just removed the memory module from slot #4
- slot #1, #2, #4 = no errors reported by memtest86+; This time I took the memory module from slot #3 and put it in slot #4
- slot #1, #2, #3 = same errors reported by memtest86+; This time I took the memory module from slot #4 and put it in slot #3
- slot #1, #2 = no errors reported by memtest86+; So I have removed both memory modules from slot #3 and slot #4

So my conclusion is that slot #3 is defect. I am not able to see visible damage on the slot #3, could be anything but if I don't put a memory module into slot #3, I am getting no errors from memtest86+ and everything is working fine. No matter which memory module I put into slot #3, I start getting bit flipping errors when I run memtest86+.

Is there a way I can find more information regarding the state of slot #3 and why it is failing or should I return it to the dealer for replacement?

Thank you for your time and help.
10 REPLIES 10

Edweird
Level 10
I guess it might be something related to mixing the Crucial and Hynix modules? Rarely happens but who knows.
I have that exact same model and have seen no issues so far in regards to memory. I even did a memtest with a pair of 1.5v Kingston HyperX 4gb modules in slots 3 and 4 and that had no trouble running at all, mixed with the Hyundai/Hynix that was in slot 1.

I am going to assume you are from Bulgaria ( zdrasti :] ) in which case if you're from Varna contact Fly System or if you're around Sofia contact MOST Computers, you'll probably get some advice from them. (MOST does warranty service for BG for ASUS stuff.) Their phone is 0700 14 411.

Good luck! If they have to service it at all (I had this happen to me recently), it only took 1 day to hand it to them, 1 day for them to change the motherboard out (which is what they will do for you) and it was home on the next.

ludesign_bg
Level 7
Zdrasti 🙂 Edweird,

I am not sure which module comes originally with the laptop but I ordered additional 24GB of ram. All I know is that if I put a memory module in slot #3 - I start getting a lot of bit flipping errors and the machine becomes unstable (damn pointers :D), if I remove the module from slot #3 - everything is running smoothly and memset detects no errors at all.

I'm from Sofia and used to buy a lot of stuffs from MOST so I am familiar with their service 😛 - didn't know they service ASUS too. There is this promotion (https://asuspromotions.com/uk/en/reliability - in english and https://asuspromotions.com/bg/bg/pages/promotion in bulgarian) and I am thinking about trying my luck there. Sick of buying expensive toys and having problems with them from day one.

Thanks! I have the chance to return this one and get another laptop or get my money back in next 12 days or opt-in for this promotion and get the laptop serviced and probably my money back. I would love to go the easy way of return the laptop and get my money back but at the same time as I am sick of false advertisement I want to "punish" them for all my troubles with their expensive toys. 🙂

Edweird
Level 10
Well that's lame, I got my G751JY back in December...should have waited, I guess.
The ones you got added were the Crucial modules. The ones that come with these laptops by default are Hyundai/Hynix, specifically:
HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB

Good luck, I would just get another one of these. Yours is the first case I've heard of a faulty memory slot. I don't think you get to have it serviced AND get the money back, it costs like...what? 2900BGN?

ludesign_bg
Level 7
Yes, HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB is the Hyundai one. I got 3 Crucial modules added indeed, two from same series in 2015 and one from 54th week of 2014.

Thank you. At first I was sure a memory module was failing but after I played a bit with modules at slot #3 and #4 - I found the faulty slot (well at least the faulty component is connected some how with memory slot #3 - could not be the slot itself).

I am still not sure what to do. Regarding this promotion, they state "the problem should have appeared between day 8 and 15" - according to the promotion if my application is approved I will get the money back in 30 days. The process is "call them to arrange the servicing, take all the papers, sent papers to the approval board, wait for approval or reject", to much hassle for my taste. So I was thinking of talking with the dealer first and then decide.

Yep, I researched for similar issues and found none related to faulty memory slots or related components. At some moment I was thinking of faulty memory controller (i7 uses integrated one) but faulty memory slot sounds more realistic to me.

Actually I paid 3648BGN for it 🙂

Thank you very much and I will share the outcome of this issue soon!

ludesign_bg
Level 7
Hi Edweird,

This promotion is a complete bull****. They have a requirement for the product to fail between the 8th and 365th day of the purchase. So they rejected my claim because mine failed on day one (said so).

However, I contacted the reseller and I am going to return the laptop and get another one or my money back. I will opt for the first option and from now on I will avoid ASUS products at all costs.

Basically they turned me from a person who will prefer ASUS products to a person who is avoiding ASUS products. 😐

Thank you for all your help, I hope everything will be alright with your G751 🙂

Edweird
Level 10
The customer service is ... less than perfect. Anyone can tell you that. Hoewever, the product is worth the price by itself. So don't be so quick to judge. 🙂 There's tons of good/bad third parties between the user and ASUS so it's not always ASUS's fault. But you know how it is with promotions here.
I hope you get a working G751 this time around.

ludesign_bg
Level 7
I am not implying the product is bad, actually it is quite good and I like it, of course I wish few things were better (to start with the audio, as I am a Toshiba user by the way and their products have amazing speakers) but being disappointed by their service and support.

I got the laptop checked and ASUS told them to move the factory memory module into slot #3 and no memtest errors for 12 hours. I am going to pick it up now and make my own tests, if I am not happy I still can return this one and get a new one. However, I will think twice before purchasing ASUS product again.

As a technical person it is really strange for me to be told "yeah just move this module to this slot and problem is solved, as suggested by asus" and then when I ask for a technical explanation/reasoning they reply "well we are not able to provide you with such information, it just works"...

🙂 Will run tests tonight and see what and how. Thanks!

Edweird
Level 10
As funny as it may sound, I'm thinking other companies will probably respond the same way.
Again, the support is less than excellent.

About the speakers - I actually think they're some of the best I've heard on a laptop.
A lot of us pushed for a fix and we eventually got it. just make sure you have the latest audio driver from the ASUS support site for the G751JY and you should have an internal subwoofer volume slider in the playback devices options. Set that to 50%-75% and then use MaxxAudio to tune it to your liking. It helps to have loudness equalization set on from the Realtek Audio settings.

ludesign_bg
Level 7
I am far from implying only ASUS are behaving this way and it is not funny what you are saying, however each of us is speaking based on his past/current experience with ASUS support.

Thank you regarding the sound issues, I will try this as soon as I have some free time. I want to run memory tests again and verify the issue is gone if slot #3 is filled with Hyundai module.

Edit: If you plan on installing 32GB on your G751JY let me know the results. Thanks.