cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G750JZ] Strange brightness problem

FrancisDeckhaun
Level 7
Hi all,
I've just bought an Asus ROG G750JZ laptop for video-editing work (and gaming, of course!). It all seems to be fine, but I am experiencing some problems with screen brightness. I've done all the proper settings to optimize the performance, such as disabling adaptive screen brightness, choosing "High performance" in the power saving panel, updating all the drivers, uninstalling power4gear and ASUS splendid, but everytime I open a video application (Premiere PRO, VLC media player, any game or even the NVIDIA control panel) the brightess boosts up to the maximum, returning back to my settings when I close it. The strange thing is that this error occurs only when the laptop is connected with the AC power charger. If I use it on battery it all works fine. What can I do to solve this strange problem? In this state I can't calibrate my monitor and, however, is very annoying… Thanks for any help!
5 REPLIES 5

Maxter
Level 9
interesting... my JW is all the way around. On AC I'm good and on battery I get that same issue. I heard somewhere the GPU drivers are the culprit. I'm on an older version that hasn't given me problems (335.23) what about you?

Jlieu
Level 7
That might be adaptive brightness feature based on the background color?

GottiBoi55
Level 10
FrancisDeckhaunt wrote:
Hi all,
I've just bought an Asus ROG G750JZ laptop for video-editing work (and gaming, of course!). It all seems to be fine, but I am experiencing some problems with screen brightness. I've done all the proper settings to optimize the performance, such as disabling adaptive screen brightness, choosing "High performance" in the power saving panel, updating all the drivers, uninstalling power4gear and ASUS splendid, but everytime I open a video application (Premiere PRO, VLC media player, any game or even the NVIDIA control panel) the brightess boosts up to the maximum, returning back to my settings when I close it. The strange thing is that this error occurs only when the laptop is connected with the AC power charger. If I use it on battery it all works fine. What can I do to solve this strange problem? In this state I can't calibrate my monitor and, however, is very annoying… Thanks for any help!

Now that's strange, my JZ doesn't have this issue.
Try setting the "Intel DPST" (Intel Display Power Saving Technology) to off in advanced power options.
Check out this link below about the Intel DPST, this may be what's causing your brightness issues

Intel Display Power Saving Technology
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Jlieu
Level 7
Correct! That is adaptive display brightness feature.
That should solve your problem.

Maxter wrote:
interesting... my JW is all the way around. On AC I'm good and on battery I get that same issue. I heard somewhere the GPU drivers are the culprit. I'm on an older version that hasn't given me problems (335.23) what about you?

My Geforce driver is the newest (9.18.13.4411). I'll try to install an older version, thanks!

GottiBoi55 wrote:

Now that's strange, my JZ doesn't have this issue.
Try setting the "Intel DPST" (Intel Display Power Saving Technology) to off in advanced power options.
Check out this link below about the Intel DPST, this may be what's causing your brightness issues

Intel Display Power Saving Technology

I've just checked, but the Intel DPST is already turned to off. Anything else I can do?