cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ External Display Color Calibration Problem

LordEdwin
Level 7
Hi, I'm new here - hopefully someone will have insight into this issue.

I've just bought the RoG G750JZ (NVidia 880M) after having the the RoG G73JW for nearly four years of constant use. I am a graphic designer and I use the system primarily as a work computer with an external Dell WFRP display attached via HDMI. I've set everything up and calibrated both monitors using the Spyder 4 Pro external light reader tool. Essentially, I've replicated my set-up from the G73JW.

However, I am encountering an issue with colour calibration that I can't find a solution to which is hampering my ability to use it for graphics because colour is so important to the tasks at hand. I can only theorize that it's related to the Intel HD Graphics chip being enabled and which didn't exist in the older G73JW.

The problem: My preferred desktop environment is to have only the external Dell display on. However, whenever I go into either the Screen Resolution tab (Win8) or the Intel Graphics Properties tab to change the display settings to show on the Dell only,
the color calibration becomes modified somehow, causing everything to have an over-saturated hue, making reliable graphic work impossible.

- I've checked the loaded profile in both the Spyder4 Pro Profile Chooser and in Windows Color Management, and the selected colour profile appears to be correct.
- If I revert to Extended display through either panel, the colour will correct to the expected appearance on each monitor.
- If I choose to display on the laptop monitor only, the over-saturation does not occur.
- Microsoft support seemed to try everything to do with display settings and drivers to determine the cause, or fix it, but were unable to.

The reason I want to display on the Dell only is that when I am using a tablet to do Photoshop editing, the mouse is nicely locked within the confines of the Dell. The Wacom tablet comes with a mapping feature that theoretically allows me to lock the mouse to one display or the other even with Extended display chosen, but it's proving to be flaky, sometimes jumping in and out of that setting and making it impossible to work - i.e. it's unreliable).

I'd like to know what is going on that's forcing the colour on the Dell, when only the Dell is on, to appear the way it is. This wasn't happening with the G73JW. Does the Intel graphics chip not properly support color calibration on an external display? Is there a way to force the NVidia card into being the default card in order to test whether it has a different effect?
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
notebook section

Hi LordEdwin

Indeed letting the system switch between different GPUs is a problem for the monitor profile, given that when it switches, it will load a standard monitor profile into the LookUp-Table of your graphic card instead of the calibrate one.

So if possible, it is essential to switch this off and just use the stronger nVidia card.

Also, on my Windows machine, sometimes my Spyder profile wasn't load correctly due to the display driver. The display driver takes longer than the Spyder Utility to load on startup. My solution was to disable the startup of the graphic driver in my msconfig.

Cheers and let me know if I can offer additional help.