cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 Plugged in and charging

curti
Level 7
Hello, I've had an issue the past couple of days with my G75VW-BBK5. The battery meter displays that it is "plugged in and charging" but the laptop is not plugged in. The first time this happened I was unable to connect to Wi-Fi or use the ROG button. When I attempted to shutdown the laptop it displayed (this is a new message for me): "Preparing Security Options" and I held down the power button to force shutdown after it stayed at that screen for a few minutes. I removed the battery and used the laptop without it last night. I plugged it back in before bed and it was working fine. I turned it on again this morning with the same issue but this time the Wi-Fi connected and the ROG button was working. I was concerned about this so I shutdown the laptop, but the keyboard, power button, and power indicator light would stay lit until I held down the power button.

I have added 8GB of memory and a 120GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 3 Agility) while using the stock 1TB drive as a secondary drive. I cloned the factory HDD to the SSD. I have also upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Ultimate.

The laptop is almost always plugged in because I mainly use it to play Diablo 3 in high performance mode.

Other note: This is my second G75. The first one was an open box that had a stuck pixel. The first one also had issues recognizing the SSD consistently. I thought it was an issue with the SSD because I saw a similar post here before; however, my second G75 has not had any issues using the SSD as a boot drive.

While I was typing up this post it seems to have "fixed" itself and the battery meter seems to be working as intended.

Is this common? Could it be a hardware problem or a Windows problem?

One more question: Did anyone else have Chrome installed on their laptop from the factory?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Try running the battery way down, and then charging it up again. That may help to calibrate the charging circuitry. The upgrades you made will not cause the effects you are seeing. They are sweet! In answer to your last question, I think that my G53SX did. Why do you ask?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Liquidus
Level 8
My G55 did not have chrome installed from Factory... lol.

Mine did. I was rather shocked I didnt' have to download it.

Mine always says plugged in and not charging, then once it hits 90% it starts charging back up again. It's designed to prevent wear on the battery and keep it lasting longer.

On a side note, how much of a performance boost did you see putting the SSD into the laptop? I'm considering doing that also, I just need someone to tell me it's worth the money 😛

@Zygomorphic: Thank you for the suggestion. I'm trying it right now.

@Liquidus: My first G75 did not have it either. I guess this one has a different image.

@theevilisback: Me too on the Chrome part. I was confused when I received an error trying to install it. About the SSD now: I think it was worth it. It definitely boots faster than the 5400RPM 1TB drive. The two reasons I bought the SSD is because I had the extra HDD bay and it was on sale. I know it probably doesn't count for much but the stock HDD is ~5.4 on the WEI and the SSD is at 7.9 (8.1 if I remember correctly on Windows 8).

Other than the SSD not working well with my first G75 I have not been disappointed. Another note is that the SSD was updated to the most recent firmware when I tried to set it up the first time and I did not change anything except for the G75 and it has not had any issues.

The quick boot time is awesome and I keep pretty much everything on the secondary drive.

You may want to take a look at these two threads while considering your purchase:
G75VW-BB5K can't select SSD as boot
G75 and OCZ Vertex 256GB problem with starting the system after power on

theevilisback wrote:
Mine did. I was rather shocked I didnt' have to download it.

Mine always says plugged in and not charging, then once it hits 90% it starts charging back up again. It's designed to prevent wear on the battery and keep it lasting longer.

On a side note, how much of a performance boost did you see putting the SSD into the laptop? I'm considering doing that also, I just need someone to tell me it's worth the money 😛

Yeah. I originally thought that there was something wrong with the notebook. Then I read the manual. 🙂

High-quality SSDs are worth the money. If you have a second drive, the boot drive can be 64-128 GB ($70-$120). Those >$200 SSDs are a little less easy to justify. Anyone who has an SSD in their laptop will tell you that it is worth it.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23