cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx - Simple Questions

Red_Rose
Level 7
Ok so I bought my G74Sx- DH73 from eBay for a really nice price and so far everything is working just like how I read it should be. The keyboard is fine and I don't mind the occasional pressing hard down on the keys, because they sometimes don't register, since I type hard anyway. Istarted getting the eratic touchpad but I don't mind because i use a mouse anyway and it happens at random times. So I had a couple of quick questions that are really specific that I cannot seem to find on the forum or NBR (or the anser just wasn't clear enough) so hopefully I can get some responses.

1) So I did buy this off eBay. It is a full RMA replacement factory reset G74Sx-DH73. The seller also sent me the Warranty Card but it says I need the original receipt to use the warranty. Does this mean I cannot use the warranty on my laptop or should I send a copy of the eBay receipt. I also live an hour away from the Asus Service Center in San Francisco so if I can't get warranty, I heard you just drop by and they can help you since they are jsut Asus certified.

2) It says my Optical Drive is a MAT****A BD-MLT UJ240AS. Now when I bought this off eBay, it said it had a blu ray player which was all that I needed to know. I tried searching this up on google and all I get are forum related topics about how it crashes. My question is, how can I figure out what it can do? I know it can play/burn DVD, I'm assuming it can play/burn CDs but I'm curious about the blu-ray. I know it can play blu-ray, but can it rite/burn blu-ray. Does anyone know this because I was making my recovery CD's today and it said I could insert a blu-ray disk to burn it into but I do not know if that is official proof that I can do that, so I opted for DVDs.

3) Of course I read up about the eratic Sentalic TP. I was wondering if keeping the eratic TP would damage my computer in some way since I do ot think i want to replace it unless that servicecenter could do it for me since I wouldn't want to drive up there every now and then, let alone drive in SF.

4) Same question goes with the keyboard as number 2. Any harm in keeping it since I only know that my left arrow key and my delete key are the ones I really have to press hard on.

5) I installed an Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300-n (using 2 antennas only). Question is, I plugged it in and that was it. Are there any special drivers or anything I need to download and install because I read somewhere I needed to install something intel related.

6) Based on the answer to question 1, I believe my BIOS is 201 so if I do not have warranty, should I bother attempting to safely BIOS to 203 since I heard it helps fix some 3D issues which I have not come across yet.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. I did do a lot of research before making this purchase and the fact that I actually like the aesthetics of the G74S over the G73 and I do not wish to wait for the G75 for the logic that it has new technology = buggy. Also for 1400, it was good deal.
Asus G74Sx - DH73 3D
- Processor: Intel i7 - 2670 QM 2.2-3.1GHZ
- Boot/Storage: 256GB m4 Crucial SSD / 750 GB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm
- Memory: 8GB (4x2) DDR3 Patriot Memory @ 1600MHZ
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB DDR5 (Stock Clock)
- WiFi: Intel Advanced Centrino 6300-N (2 Antennae Installed)
- Screen/Touch Pad: 17.3" 120Hz LED Matte LCD @ 1920x1080 / Sentelic
- Paste: CM ThermalFusion 400 Thermal Paste (28C-33C Idle & 55C-62C Under Load)
- OS/BIOS: Windows 7 Home Premium / BIOS 203
2 REPLIES 2

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Red Rose wrote:

1) So I did buy this off eBay. It is a full RMA replacement factory reset G74Sx-DH73. The seller also sent me the Warranty Card but it says I need the original receipt to use the warranty. Does this mean I cannot use the warranty on my laptop or should I send a copy of the eBay receipt. I also live an hour away from the Asus Service Center in San Francisco so if I can't get warranty, I heard you just drop by and they can help you since they are jsut Asus certified.

You need the original retailer receipt for warranty coverage. See if you can get it from your eBay seller.

2) It says my Optical Drive is a MAT****A BD-MLT UJ240AS. Now when I bought this off eBay, it said it had a blu ray player which was all that I needed to know. I tried searching this up on google and all I get are forum related topics about how it crashes. My question is, how can I figure out what it can do? I know it can play/burn DVD, I'm assuming it can play/burn CDs but I'm curious about the blu-ray. I know it can play blu-ray, but can it rite/burn blu-ray. Does anyone know this because I was making my recovery CD's today and it said I could insert a blu-ray disk to burn it into but I do not know if that is official proof that I can do that, so I opted for DVDs.

As designated by the "BD" in its description, it's a blu-ray drive.

3) Of course I read up about the eratic Sentalic TP. I was wondering if keeping the eratic TP would damage my computer in some way since I do ot think i want to replace it unless that servicecenter could do it for me since I wouldn't want to drive up there every now and then, let alone drive in SF.

Is the touchpad not functioning properly? If it's working fine, there's no need to worry about it based on things you've read. The touchpad can't damage your computer.

4) Same question goes with the keyboard as number 2. Any harm in keeping it since I only know that my left arrow key and my delete key are the ones I really have to press hard on.

No harm in using it.

5) I installed an Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300-n (using 2 antennas only). Question is, I plugged it in and that was it. Are there any special drivers or anything I need to download and install because I read somewhere I needed to install something intel related.

You need to remove the previous WLAN driver and then install the latest Intel WLAN driver.

6) Based on the answer to question 1, I believe my BIOS is 201 so if I do not have warranty, should I bother attempting to safely BIOS to 203 since I heard it helps fix some 3D issues which I have not come across yet.

Updating the BIOS my help with the keyboard issues. If you choose to do it, use only the Easy Flash method.

Thank you Brodyboy. Just wanted to make sure and all. I'll go contact my eBay seller then.
Asus G74Sx - DH73 3D
- Processor: Intel i7 - 2670 QM 2.2-3.1GHZ
- Boot/Storage: 256GB m4 Crucial SSD / 750 GB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm
- Memory: 8GB (4x2) DDR3 Patriot Memory @ 1600MHZ
- Graphics: Nvidia GTX 560M 3GB DDR5 (Stock Clock)
- WiFi: Intel Advanced Centrino 6300-N (2 Antennae Installed)
- Screen/Touch Pad: 17.3" 120Hz LED Matte LCD @ 1920x1080 / Sentelic
- Paste: CM ThermalFusion 400 Thermal Paste (28C-33C Idle & 55C-62C Under Load)
- OS/BIOS: Windows 7 Home Premium / BIOS 203