cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Low Volume

Mopard
Level 7
One of the few complaints I have so far with my new G74SX-A1 is the very low volume output of this thing when trying to watch docs/ on-line ... say youtube. I've played around with the THX settings (maxxing out settings in each) but doesn't help much. Most times the volume is barely loud enough to hear at all with everything maxxed. I've seen this problem asked about many times now with this notebook but no answer I can find. Anyone help? tia
G74SX-A1
12 REPLIES 12

Trijicon
Level 7
I just got an A1 as well and had the same complaint when I first got it... What helped me was going into THX and with the arrows switch it over to 'external speakers' ... This helped me alot and volume is now actually good when lisening to the radio and YouTube online... It is still pretty soft and sad when watching a movie or BlueRay though... I bought a cheap pair of speakers for watching blue rays .

Thanks, yeah I tried all the THX settings (I found this also through searching the forum) and it did make a miniscule difference but they brag about the amazing sound this unit has and I can barely hear it most of the time. I can't believe Asus hasn't worked on or offered a fix for this ... or I can't find one anyway. Do you (or anyone else) know which driver(s) or software actually controls this volume and is there an update that would help? I find it hard to believe everyone is putting up with this ... unless mine is a lot worse than most others. Frustrating.
G74SX-A1

What audio driver(s) do you have installed, and what auxilliary audio programs (THX, SRS, etc.)?

BrodyBoy wrote:
What audio driver(s) do you have installed, and what auxilliary audio programs (THX, SRS, etc.)?

Wow, so sorry ... I had no idea anyone had replied. I recieved no notification via email and couldn't see where/how to select this option? Anyhow, this is what my unit came with.

Realtek HD Audio is 6.0.1.6348

Nvidia is 1.2.22.1

THX TruStudio is 1.04.04

thanks
G74SX-A1

tkd_ron
Level 8
I have found that even before I did a clean install, that getting rid of the thx thingy and updating realtek sound drivers and using its built in settings fix the volume problem.

tkd_ron wrote:
I have found that even before I did a clean install, that getting rid of the thx thingy and updating realtek sound drivers and using its built in settings fix the volume problem.

Thanks ron ... so you've found that the THX software itself is sucking the volume out of this machine and yours is better/louder after uninstalling THX completely? The THX program/sw is actually not required at all?
G74SX-A1

If you follow this thread you will find some different solutions to the problem of low audio:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3168-Low-Audio-on-G74SX-Here-s-the-fix/page14

I've found the best solution for me, as you can read about there ...
You should not expect miracles when it comes to the sound quality no matter which solution you choose. The speakers are really bad so it's all about "minimize the damage".

You just have to test the different proposals that are available in the thread and see what you are most satisfied with.

Good luck! 🙂

Check in your BIOS and turn up the speaker volume for the POST sound to max (8). I kept my post sound to its default of off in BIOS since I bought it (Oct. 2011) until just last week, and finally turned it on and adjusted volume from default of 4 to 8. That seemed to make a diff. in the sound level when booted into an OS.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Do not uninstal THX driver......
Just type in start > search> THX....it will apear "THX Trustudio Settings" . Open it and switch the arrow to "External speakers" and set the max Volume. By default it is set at "Built in speakers" to give the best quality sound at lower volume.
The only thing is that you'll have to do this every time you want louder sound, so... click right on "THX Trustudio Settings" and click and "pin to task bar" or "pin to start menu" so you will have it right under your hand when you will need it.

Please try to do so....and comment please 🙂

Also i did set in Bios the default volume from 4 to 8... but this is not the issue,just THX......