cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx bbk7 DC screwy

Corey5Star
Level 7
It won't power on or charge without wiggling the ac in the dc a bit and one little bump and it turns off. Help?
10 REPLIES 10

dstrakele
Level 14
Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18929-Asus-G74sx-WONT-CHARGE-BATTERY&p=129623&viewfull=1#po...

You could have a polarity problem with your power adapter.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

DrBeltway
Level 9
Do you mean the power plug is loose in the laptop socket?

I've seen a couple reports of the center pin in the laptop socket breaking off inside the power plug.

Maybe that's what happened in your situation and holding it in just the right spot allows it to make contact with the broken pin stub in the socket.

Look in the laptop socket and see if there's a pin in the center. If there's not, check the hole at the tip of the power plug and see if the pin is in there.

If you don't see the pin in the laptop socket or in the plug, it may have fallen out and gotten lost. It's OK - it's not much use now anyway.

You should consider talking to ASUS about RMA'ing the laptop if possible.

Also, they will probably understand the problem better if you use the terms 'power plug' and 'laptop socket' instead of "ac" and "dc".
G74Sx - BIOS 203

Its likely that it is the charger. The wire is loose where it connects to the box. At one point a small wire was outside of it.

DrBeltway
Level 9
Ah, OK. Glad to hear that. ASUS might be able to send you a replacement adapter, then.
G74Sx - BIOS 203

It's actually the worst. The DC needs to be replaced. About how much will this run me for? I know the jack itself is about 4 bucks. I replaced the charger to no avail. Any recommendations besides repairing the jack?

brecker
Level 8
yup, try not using it much like this if you have to move the cable very often, unless you don't mind replacing the battery as well...

DrBeltway
Level 9
Whoa... Now I'm completely lost...

G74Sx - BIOS 203

DrBeltway wrote:
Whoa... Now I'm completely lost...

It's the socket.

Corey5Star wrote:
It's the socket.

First, I'd see how much ASUS would charge for the repair (I'm guessing your laptop is out of warranty).

I've seen computer repairshop ads on the 'net offering to fix power jack issues for $65-$100 USD assuming you're in the US. That doesn't include shipping costs.

If it's too much, think about how much Do-It-Yourself action you're comfortable with. Can you solder well? Are you willing to take apart the laptop?

If so, check THIS out. If the center pin is still in place and the whole socket is wiggly due to having broken free from the solder holding it to the motherboard, I can't think of any way to fix it without taking the laptop apart. The link shows a great (and most likely permanent) fix for just about every problem related to laptop power jacks. All you need is a panel mount jack/socket, a couple wires, a soldering rig and a drill. At least you can be reasonably sure it'll be the last time you have to take it apart due to a power jack failure

I'm real big on DIY, so I was thinking up some ways to fix some of the more common problems without taking apart the laptop. Since I don't have a broken G series power socket to play with and can't really test them these ideas are just "maybes".:

1. For broken center-pins, I'd try drilling a tiny hole slightly smaller in diameter than the stub into it. Then I'd find a suitable tiny screw HALF or less the length of the original pin, cut the head off (or reduce it in diameter to slightly less than the plug-hole diameter) and (if necessary) file/cut a notch into one end in order to fit a tiny straight-slot screwdriver, then drive it in through the stub to make solid electrical contact. I would think that the shorter pin length should make it slightly less likely to be broken off by plug movement. Obviously the thickness of the stub and what's behind it would be very important variables, so it's a "maybe".

2. This approach to broken center-pins seems much more feasible for some reason. I'd begin by finding a small compression spring and soldering or stretch-fitting a few turns on one end to grab on to the broken center-pin. On the other end of the spring, the last two turns or so could be enlarged to keep the spring/pin assembly anchored partially inside the plug hole, but with a few mm of pin sticking out. The friction of the socket flanges should keep the plug in the socket, but if not there are options like ring magnets and washers epoxied to the right depth on the face of the jack and plug. And, of course, the spring-loaded pin is kept in contact with the center stub.

Just some (probably crazy) suggestions, but good luck and please post back about the repair, however you decide to do it or have it done.
G74Sx - BIOS 203