cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW Blu-Ray Burner - possible to use for recovery?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

As I'm about to create a system restore disk using the ASUS recovery utility, I notice I'll need to use a few DVD's to make this restore disk.

Is it possible to use Blu-Ray discs for this sort of restore disk? Is the laptop ale to boot from a Blu-Ray source, or will booting only work from a CD/DVD?
1 REPLY 1

Chastity
Level 10
The burner is not capable of burning Blu-Ray blanks, unless you have an external one that can. Also, the software doesn't recognize BR media. Sorry. The recovery set is basically a copy of the Recovery partition on your HDD. I've heard stories of the application messing up burning a disk, so I came up with a workaround:

1) Run the application, and let it make the .ISO images
2) When it asks for the first blank, leave the app running, and find those ISO images (they will be named CD1.ISO thru CD6.ISO, for example)
3) Copy these images to another location, like onto your 2nd HDD.
4) Abort the Recovery app, and it will then delete the original images (stupid feature IMO)
5) Burn the ISO's with your burner application of choice, like ImgBurn, Nero, or even Windows 7 Burning option.

Personally, I prefer using backup software to image my partitions. I use Acronis Home Image 2011, and I backup to an external 880G USB HDD.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]