cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-A2 Problems (and RMA troubles)

mertesn
Level 7
I purchased the G73JH-A2 in April 2010 from XoticPC.com with an extended three year warranty and Blu-ray upgrade. Since the day it arrived I've had nothing but problems. First the display died. It took eight weeks to get fixed.

As soon as the laptop was returned, one of the hard drives died, causing a second RMA.

The Blu-ray drive quit working. Since this was an upgraded part from XoticPC, I sent it to them for replacement. The drive was stolen in shipment and I had to purchase a new drive (ongoing issue with UPS). Unfortunately the replacement drive doesn't have a face plate that matches with the rest of the laptop and ASUS so far has refused to provide one.

A third RMA was requested on October 26 for the following:
-Since the day the laptop arrived, I have been unable to play games properly. Randomly during gaming the laptop will emit a very loud static/roaring sound. This is not the sound of fans nor does it appear to come from the speakers. It happens at the same amount of loudness regardless of volume settings.
- The touchpad does not function correctly. Despite making sure that nothing but one fingertip is in contact with the touchpad, the system acts as though many fingers are attempting to provide input.
- The keyboard misses keystrokes. I have to type very slowly as a workaround. This is unacceptable.
- Both the CPU and GPU overheat, causing shutdowns. I understand there was an issue with thermal paste being improperly applied and I believe that to be the issue in this case as well.
- Due to the overheating, the rubber feet on the laptop have come off.

All of this was detailed on the RMA form included with the laptop.

For this third RMA, my laptop arrived on October 31. On November 1 the repair status was changed to "Waiting-[WF9]-Wait for customer confirmation - NTF". At no time during the repair process was I ever contacted to confirm anything. In fact, I called around November 3 to find out what information was needed. I was told someone would contact me regarding the repair. On November 10, having not been contacted, I called ASUS support. The representative promised me a call from the repair facility within 24-48 hours. This promised call never happened - three phone numbers were provided and none received any calls regarding the repair. On the morning of November 15 I called ASUS support again, and was told the case would be "elevated" because problems were not immediately found. I was promised a call from the repair facility that day. Again, the call never happened. Instead I received an automated e-mail that night stating my laptop was being shipped back to me.

The laptop is scheduled to arrive on November 18, and based on the previous description of events I do not expect to find the problems resolved.

This is my third ASUS laptop (also have a W2P and F3SV), and will likely be my final ASUS laptop based on the troubles I have had in getting repairs and poor customer service.

I want my laptop fully repaired. It should not take multiple RMAs to do this. If the repair facility is unable to duplicate the problem, I expect them to contact me for further information. If I am promised a phone call within a specific time period, I expect that promise to be fulfilled.

If anyone here can provide some information I'd really appreciate it. I have filled out the escalation form with the above information.
25 REPLIES 25

JRd1st
Level 12
Which repair facility is this?

PM Brian@ASUS. Maybe he can help.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

mertesn
Level 7
It went to the facility in Milpitas, CA.

mertesn
Level 7
PM sent as well.

JRd1st
Level 12
Milpitas is the one repair facility i've heard nothing but good things about, and 2 weeks at their facility isn't bad. Their office sounds either totally buried in work, or just disorganized. Maybe both. Lol

Good luck, man!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Quick update:

After my initial post, I PM'ed Brian@ASUS and filled out the form at the ASUS Escalation Mailbox (http://vip.asus.com/eservice/cus_suggest.aspx). Within a day I had heard back from both Brian and another rep (from the escalation process) promising further assistance.

The laptop arrives today. If the problems still persist I'll take the next step detailed by the Escalation rep - provide him with some detailed logging information. Once that is done, he'll set up another RMA to come directly to him.

Point is, things seem to be moving in the correct direction. I wish it didn't have to come down to escalating the issue, but it is what it is.

Chastity
Level 10
@mertsen

Can you PM me your RMA number and your name and address, and contact info? Thx

Chastity
Asus Customer Care
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

mertesn
Level 7
The laptop seems to be mostly working now. It is definitely running cooler since the thermal paste was re-applied. I have not had a chance to run high-end gaming or video editing/encoding. I will get this tested tonight.

The only problem that remains is the touchpad. When I sent the laptop in, the touchpad was behaving erratically. Now it doesn't function at all. I have tried using the Fn keys to enable/disable the touchpad, but this has not worked and will need another RMA to be fixed 😞

And of course the Technical Inbox section of the support web site isn't working...replying to a message there now results in an error of "Can not input HTML tag", so I can't let the support folks know what's going on. I'm sure it'll get fixed later today, but for now it's busted.

JRd1st
Level 12
You can try sending Chastity@asus another pm in the meantime...

Sorry your RMA experience was less than it needed to be. 😞

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I have a theory.....pulled entirely out of my arse with no actual information to back it up.....that the RoG line has a completely separate design team, and it's probably assembled at different factories. (It wouldn't even surprise me if it used to be another company that Asus bought at some point and has only partially integrated. ) The design "ethos" and assembly quality are so different between my RoG and non-RoG Asus laptops that you would think they were from different companies.

I could well be wrong, of course But it does indeed seem like the RoG line has more problems, and I don't think that's just a reflection of the expectations of the kinds of people who buy it.