cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Win7 Upgraded to Win10

PhilG55vw
Level 9
Old news for most probably, but thought I'd post this for those who have older models. I just upgraded my G55 from Win7 Home to Win10 Home, not that I wanted to, but...

Used the Microsoft upgrade website to download the upgrade tool, let it download 10 and let it roll with option to keep apps and files. Upgrade was painless, all apps and files are intact and work. I did, after the fact, upgrade the video driver from the Nvidea site.

As I figured from past experience, the touchpad lost all the smartgesture functions. Asus website says gen 7 and 8 Intel CPUs no longer use the Smartgesture software, which sounds valid as I could not install it once I wan on Win10. I tried 4 different versions and they all quit just short of final, with the same error message. Asus says the Elan driver is included in Win10 but I could not get that to kick in until I removed the touchpad in Device Manager, rebooted and upgraded the driver via DM. I had also updated the ATK software prior to trying to install the smartgesture file. Bad thing with the Elan driver is lack of functionality with the fnF9 key to disable/enable the pad. This can be done if you're using an external mouse via a checkbox in the Elan driver.

Oh, I also did not have to pay to upgrade, I was not asked to enter a code or validate anything as the upgrade accepted the Win7 license I had.
3 REPLIES 3

davemon50
Level 11
I still use Smartgesture on my G752VY. Just had to reinstall that and also ATK package after updating to latest W10.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I still use Smartgesture on my G752VY. Just had to reinstall that and also ATK package after updating to latest W10.

AS does my G703GI. I may try that package as the two laptops are totally different at this point. I also have gestures on my T-100 on Win10. It may be some artifact left over from the upgrade from 7 to 10. Really, the only thing I'm missing at this point is the enable/disable key usage and the 3 finger functions.

davemon50
Level 11
Yeah I feel your pain there, I couldn't live without being able to turn off the touchpad. I'd never be able to type. I'd actually rather have a hardware switch for the touchpad rather than software (or in addition to it) since the software once in a while screws up and starts up the touchpad and I find myself moving the cursor all over the place. I work without a touchpad about 99% of the time.
Davemon50