cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 Built In Mic Issues (Static and Hiss)

M40A1Fubar
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a G55SVW at Fry's 2 days ago and I am very happy with this laptop outside of one major issue; the built in mic. I am not sure if this is just a software/driver problem or if it is a hardware/ lack of shielding problem but the internal mic has horrid hiss and background static in all of my vent/TS/skype calls. Adjusting the mic levels helps it for a short time but then it comes back. Turning on noise cancellation and echo reduction in the VIA HD Audio Deck actually makes it worse. It also happens when I have headphones plugged in but still have the internal mic going as the primary. It also does it when using a analog headset with mic. USB headsets are fine. I have also tried turning up mic boost and down mic levels, lower mic boost to 0 and turn up levels, change recording frequencies, you name it I tried it. I am getting a bit frustrated because outside of that issue and the annoying volume control that dosn't control the LFE sub level bug, I am extremely happy with this system so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10

M40A1Fubar
Level 7
Ok,

I did some more testing and it is doing it on any mic that is going through the internal sound card. I have tried 3 analog headsets (all of which work on every other PC just fine) and the built in mic while in calls. Changing all sound settings in both Windows and in the VIA HD panel has no effect on getting rid of it. I can reduce it a little by turning the mic gain down to 30 and the mic boost up to +30 but it never goes away. Seems like a driver issue or lack of shielding around the sound card.

dstrakele
Level 14
You've done quite a bit of troubleshooting. I'd try uninstalling the driver from "Control Panel,- Uhinstall a program", REBOOT, then reinstall it.

If that failed, I would probably try one last thing - an ASUS Factory Restore. Press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and choose to restore Windows to the 1st partition. It will be completely overwritten, so backup any important files you've saved there.

If that fails to resolve the issue, I'd take it back to Fry's to exchange for a new laptop.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
You've done quite a bit of troubleshooting. I'd try uninstalling the driver from "Control Panel,- Uhinstall a program", REBOOT, then reinstall it.

If that failed, I would probably try one last thing - an ASUS Factory Restore. Press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and choose to restore Windows to the 1st partition. It will be completely overwritten, so backup any important files you've saved there.

If that fails to resolve the issue, I'd take it back to Fry's to exchange for a new laptop.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the driver uninstall twice and no luck. I also re-installed the drivers to no avail. I did a ASUS Factory Restore per your suggestion and yet again, no luck. I took it back to Fry's today and exchanged it for another one. I just got home about 10 minutes ago and this one is doing it as well, but with a different flavor. The background noise is now just static and fluctuating whistles. With my headset on and mic monitoring on I can actually hear when my HDD is being used through the mic. I am getting the impression that this is an issue of very lackluster or non-existent shielding around the sound card. This is a bit dissapointing because other than this issue it is a great machine. I have not decided on whether I should just keep it and pick up a small USB sound card or if I should take it back and pick up a different machine. If I take it back I can't say it is broken being that they have both done it so I will be stuck with a 15% restocking fee.

I have had many laptops before incluidng 2 Macbook Pros, both of which still work to this day and they never had any issues like this. Maybe a driver could fix this problem? Oh yes, I tested several analog headsets on this new machine as well and they all do it exactly the same.

M40A1Fubar wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I tried the driver uninstall twice and no luck. I also re-installed the drivers to no avail. I did a ASUS Factory Restore per your suggestion and yet again, no luck. I took it back to Fry's today and exchanged it for another one. I just got home about 10 minutes ago and this one is doing it as well, but with a different flavor. The background noise is now just static and fluctuating whistles. With my headset on and mic monitoring on I can actually hear when my HDD is being used through the mic. I am getting the impression that this is an issue of very lackluster or non-existent shielding around the sound card. This is a bit dissapointing because other than this issue it is a great machine. I have not decided on whether I should just keep it and pick up a small USB sound card or if I should take it back and pick up a different machine. If I take it back I can't say it is broken being that they have both done it so I will be stuck with a 15% restocking fee.

I have had many laptops before incluidng 2 Macbook Pros, both of which still work to this day and they never had any issues like this. Maybe a driver could fix this problem? Oh yes, I tested several analog headsets on this new machine as well and they all do it exactly the same.

Got the same issue. =\ Don't know how to fix it.

Liquidus wrote:
Got the same issue. =\ Don't know how to fix it.

Yay, I am not alone! I have done even more testing and I have found a few very odd things going on. As I said before, all normal analog mics, built in and plug in all have the high pitched whine in the background. I have also been trying USB headsets and I found a VERY odd happening. USB headsets that only use the USB for power such as any Steal Series headsets (5H V2 and 7H tested), and the Sound Blaster Tactic 3D all STILL have the whine in the background over the mic. HOWEVER, my Tritton AX Pro does not. This led me to believe that this was a USB voltage issue or a whole system shielding/ground issue. Why?

The only difference between the AX Pro and the other USB headsets is that the AXPro has a AC powered Amp/Mixer which by my theory, is regulating the signal and preventing the issue. So, to test my "AC powered USB will fix the issue" theory, I plugged in a powered USB hub then plugged my Steal Series 5H USB headset (which had the problem before) and guess what? It fixed it. It seems there is a grounding and or shielding problem in this system and any mic level signals are getting interference.

So ASUS, what are you going to do about this?

(Edit)

I just discovered that any USB or Analog Mic, no matter if plugged in directly to the computer or through powered USB hub still does it. The USB hub helps a little but it is still there. I also tested all 4 USB ports on this system to no avail. The only headset/mic out of the 5 have tested that doesn't do it is the Tritton AXPro. All of my test headsets and mics are verified to work without any issue on another system. I would just use the Trittons at this point however the USB audio on the Trittons is designed for chat only and doesn't have any virtual surround or 5.1 support. That is all handled through Optical Digital on this headset. So In other words, I am screwed in terms of PC gaming while in chat on this laptop no matter what headset combo I use unless I want to A. Make my friends want to drive screw drivers in their ears, or B. Deal with crap in game audio on the Trittons.

I noticed that my microphone quality improved drastically when I used a stand-alone USB microphone. In this case, I used the PS3 eye and it is probably the best microphone I have ever used. Better than my previous gaming headsets by Plantronics (747 and 777).

But, I'll admit, the sound quality and mic quality on this laptop is probably its Achilles' heel.

Liquidus wrote:
I noticed that my microphone quality improved drastically when I used a stand-alone USB microphone. In this case, I used the PS3 eye and it is probably the best microphone I have ever used. Better than my previous gaming headsets by Plantronics (747 and 777).

But, I'll admit, the sound quality and mic quality on this laptop is probably its Achilles' heel.

In most cases USB mics will always be better, especially when using a good headset like Steal Series, Astro, Tritton, and so on. Like I said above, every USB mic I try still has the high pitched whine. The Trittons are the only ones that don't do it but I can't use those for gaming on my PC due to the Trittons being designed to use Optical Audio for game audio and USB for chat only.

I agree with you about the overall audio system in this machine. Audio is utter garbage all around with the horrid mic input interference, bad software, and only passable speakers. I till can't figure out why EVERY USB port on the system gets whining and static on any headset mic, USB or 3.5 mini, but this is extremely frustrating. I can deal with crap speakers and badly designed drivers and software, but I cannot do these mic problems no matter how I hook up or what headset I use. I will give props to Nvidia, their HDMI audio output quality is stellar out of this system and things sound great on my 5.1 system, too bad I can't use that for voice chat!

Breaking news!

So, the feedback (high pitched eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee constantly) that is occurring over any mic input on this system, including built in, 3.5 mini, or USB, is actually happening without any mic plugged in as well! Any time the signal is played from any mic input, whether it be on Skype, Vent, TS, or just monitoring on my headphones, it does it, regardless of if the mic is plugged in or not. It even does it when my guitar is plugged in. For example:

My USB headset is unplugged, internal mic is disabled, and no analog mic plugged in to the 3.5. If I turn on mic monitoring on the 3.5 mini (which is unplugged) I instantly hear the sound, just as it is when a mic is plugged in. If I turn the mic level down to 0 on the unplugged mic it goes away. I tested this in Skype and my friend recorded the same results. He heard the high pitched sound even though that mic was not plugged in. And again, this is the same situation that was going on with the first laptop. Same types of feedback and noises.

To touch on the software and driver side of things; I am removed ALL no critical drivers and bloatware from the system to no avail. I have all the most up to date drivers for everything and nothing is running in the background. I even tried re-booting with the USB headset plugged in to no avail. The sound also carries over the HDMI Audio out into my surround system. Running the system unplugged, plugged in, plugged in with no battery, screen off, screen on, Wi-Fi off, Wi-Fi on, VIA drivers uninstalled, VIA installed, track pad on, track pad off, Bluetooth off, and every other thing I could think of made no difference whatsoever. I tried a USB headset plugged in through a powered USB hub as well. The only thing I haven't done yet is mess with the bios, something I normally don't do on factory systems.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hi,

I have the same problem with the G75. I tried three Headsets, and my friends can't understand me in TeamSpeak3.
All driver updated from the Asus Side.

Actually I have three Problems:

1. The microfone problem.
2. The Sub Problem...HS pluged and Sound of the main speaker
3. The Volume control, it's much to loud, i must turn it on minimum that i can play without pain in my ears.

what can i do?

Sorry for my bad english.