cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53S: problem with right FAN

pablitopm
Level 7
Hello Rogers! My name is Pablo, I'm from argentina and this is my first Thread ever make. (sorry for my english!! i hope its good enough)

i have a rare noise in my rigth fan, i belive its de GPU fan?

the warranty does not cover Argentina because i bought it in Europe. So, i open it (following videos from youtube) and clean up the fan but i didnt remove it so i dont know if it is properly clean, because the noise wont stop.

So my question is, Does that ever happened to you? What could it be?

Regards!

Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
Hi Pablo - you could have a noisy bearing in your GPU fan. The seal on the bearing may have broken and allowed the oil to dry out.

You could choose to remove the fan and lubricate it (see http://www.techrepublic.com/article/quiet-noisy-computer-fans-with-a-drop-of-oil/5034842?mobileView=...) or replace the fan.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks a lot, when i have time and the rigth oil i will do this and see if the noise keeps going.

one more thing. what happens if i disconnect the cable of the fan and then take out the 3 screws that holds the fan cover (all of this without unscrewing the mother board), the fan will come out and leave the mother board in its place? or i need to take the mother board out to take out the fan?

Zygomorphic
Level 17
No worries about the English! 🙂 I'm not sure if you have to remove the motherboard, but I do not believe so.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Bringing news :p. i've just perfomr a stress test to the GPU and the CPU, my highest temp was arround 75°C - 78°C, is this normal? when i stop the test my gpu went from that temp to 56 in seconds (wasn't really counting but it was pretty fast for me) and then keep going down, so i guess the fan it's fine. must need oil, don't you think? can it be anything else?

dstrakele
Level 14
Your reported temperatures and cooling time are normal, so the GPU fan is doing its job. It's either a noisy bearing or the screws holding the fan in place are loose, causing a vibration.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

pablitopm
Level 7
ok, problem solved, i will post my solution in the days to come.

solutions with a few pictures!

pablitopm
Level 7
here is what i did to fix the problem on my fan. (thanks for all the help)

first i did some reviews of my temperatures, to see if the fan isn't working how it should. So i some stress test and constantly checking temperatures.
I see that my temperatures where fine, not going over 80°C with heaven benchmark and playing games like far cry 3, it didnt past the 85°C.
and then checking how much time it takes to the temperature to go down. it take a few seconds to drop from 85°C to 70°C.

so there is when i notice that my fan was working fine. i was just a annoying noise. (thanks again for those who reply to me!)

after that i disassemble my pc (i leave the mother board on, i did not take that out) after disconeccting the fan i took it out and clean it, i take away the stiker thinking i will be able to put the oil there but not.

to oil this fun you must take it all apart. 1788517886

so that how the fun looks when its all apart. you have to oil the center of the second photo. assemble it all over again. be careful with the screws dont leave anyone loose!

now my noise is gone and runs more smoothly than ever! i did to the other fun while i was in there! is more easier on the cpu fan than the gpu!

hope this help someone!

Bye!

pablitopm wrote:
here is what i did to fix the problem on my fan. (thanks for all the help)

first i did some reviews of my temperatures, to see if the fan isn't working how it should. So i some stress test and constantly checking temperatures.
I see that my temperatures where fine, not going over 80°C with heaven benchmark and playing games like far cry 3, it didnt past the 85°C.
and then checking how much time it takes to the temperature to go down. it take a few seconds to drop from 85°C to 70°C.

so there is when i notice that my fan was working fine. i was just a annoying noise. (thanks again for those who reply to me!)

after that i disassemble my pc (i leave the mother board on, i did not take that out) after disconeccting the fan i took it out and clean it, i take away the stiker thinking i will be able to put the oil there but not.

to oil this fun you must take it all apart. 1788517886

so that how the fun looks when its all apart. you have to oil the center of the second photo. assemble it all over again. be careful with the screws dont leave anyone loose!

now my noise is gone and runs more smoothly than ever! i did to the other fun while i was in there! is more easier on the cpu fan than the gpu!

hope this help someone!

Bye!

Dear pablitopm I really appreciate your effort for posting this tutorial
it happened to me also and I'm very annoying from the noisy sound
I was afraid how to disassemble my G53s now after I read your post I feel like I can do it alone.

I'll try it today with my replay