cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G50VT bluescreening, cites display drivers [solved]

Mirror_Owl
Level 7
Hello all, I've had my G50VT since 2008. This week it's started blue screening, and graphically glitching leading up to an eventual blue screen, while performing normal web browsing tasks or when trying to launch a program; basically at random. I had made no changes to the system prior to this happening. Been reading as much as I can, and I'm working through the various suggestions I've found, but I'd really appreciate any help with troubleshooting.

I booted to safe mode and disabled my display adapter, and have no problems, so it's definitely somehow related to my graphics card.

Here are pictures of the error message after it recovers, and of the bluescreen when it doesn't recover:

Here's what I've tried so far..

Updated my display drivers to the most recent, directly from Nvidia's website. Issue persists. Uninstalled those drivers, tried the old ones again, get same problem. I haven't tried deleting all the old drivers manually but I did a "clean install" that the newest driver installer offered. Still could be a driver issue but after years running fine, seems odd.

In case it was an overheating issue, I've reapplied thermal paste to the GPU, and after downloading GPU-Z to monitor it, it's idling at about 50C and under load hits mid 70C (it remained stable enough for me to run Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 to test temps). The GPU was very light on thermal paste when I opened it to check that, so it's possible the GPU had overheated. Even running cool, problem persists.

I understand sometimes other drivers might cause this type of problem, so I've looked for new chipset drivers but seem to have the most recent. No help that my computer is pushing past its generation, so new drivers get tough to find. I've read sometimes a fresh Windows install will solve these things. Got my stuff backed up so I'll try that if necessary.

I'm also planning to try a different video card. I found a deal on a GeForce 260M online, which evidently fits into the G50 chassis (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/446885-asus-g50-260m-swap-procedure.html). It should be here early next week, so I can at least see if my current card is just burning out.

My specs are:

ASUS G50VT
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
Chipset is Mobile Intel PM45E
Nvidia GeForce 9800M GS

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas. If any more information would help guide suggestions, yell and I'll do whatever I can.
2 REPLIES 2

Pitcher1
Level 9
did you clean nb inside? try to clean it. do the reinstall OS and update orignal driver.

Mirror_Owl
Level 7
I solved the problem, my 9800M GS was giving out. Replaced the card with a GTX 260M and I'm up and running again. Thanks for looking guys!