Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing a program to use the Nvidia card in the CP doesn't do anything - G751JM

falkenjeff
Level 7
Click to enlarge.

Note in the image:

• I have selected the entire game folder and told it to use the NVidia card in the NVidia control panel (I have also tried individually adding the files - that doesn't work either)
  • The game, Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst is running (the game folder I am referring to).
  • GPU tweak, in the background, says the intel GPU is being used
  • The "NVidia GPU activity" icon in the system tray also says the NVidia GPU is not being used

I have tried (months ago) to run other programs with the NVidia GPU. For example, webpages running flash video (by trying to force Google Chrome to use the NVidia GPU), VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic, etc... And it has NEVER worked, not even once. The only programs that will use the GPU are actual games that are recognized by "NVidia Geforce Experience" and are able to download profiles and stuff (which I don't even use), and the control panel itself. Up until now it has been fine - videos and stuff, for the MOST part, run fine on the intel card; any choppiness or FPS drops in the videos might not even be the video card's fault, it could be internet lag or streaming issues. League of Legends and Starcraft 2 run fine and use the NVidia GPU, and those were the only games I played.

Well, until now. I downloaded a PSO Blue Burst private server, and it is not using my NVidia card. No game profile exists in Geforce experience, because the game is no longer supported by its developer, SEGA (and all official servers have been shut down). The game DOES run fine, it's not a huge issue - IF I RUN IT AT 1280x720. If I run it at 1280x720 full screen, I will get 30 FPS and it will never drop (the game is one of those old games that is locked at 30 FPS). But if I try to run it windowed, or if I try to run it at 1920x1080 full screen, the FPS occasionally drops and the game becomes unplayable.

So I would now like to know why the heck my G751JM ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to use my NVidia card for ANYTHING that isn't a game officially recognized by NVidia and its game profiles/experience tool. Other people are able to run this game in 1080p just fine, but I can't because I'm on a garbage intel card and forcing it to switch absolutely does not work, and never has.

Note: In the past (with VLC and stuff) I have tried right clicking and using the context menu to select the NVidia card - that has also never worked, and with the current NVidia drivers that isn't even an option anymore, it just tells you to use the NVidia control panel.
21 REPLIES 21

falkenjeff
Level 7
Tried uninstalling GPU tweak, gaming center, Geforce experience, tried fresh installing Nvidia driver, had no effect. Used system restore, undid my changes.

falkenjeff
Level 7
bump

Nader
Level 8
Are you Even Sure you are talking about G751JM Or G750JM
As far as I know G751 Does not have optimus

Nader wrote:
Are you Even Sure you are talking about G751JM Or G750JM
As far as I know G751 Does not have optimus

the G751JM has optimus

joshindaphils
Level 11
falkenjeff wrote:
1) No, you can't disable it in the BIOS.

2) No, I can't return it. I was mostly playing League of Legends/Starcraft 2 so I didn't notice this was a huge issue with absolutely no workaround until now - 8 months later, when I decided to play an old game, PSOBB. Newer games auto-select the correct video card just fine.

3) I'm over-reacting? It's a $1500 gaming laptop, and it can't even play an old ****ty game at 1080p (or in windowed mode at all) without dropping FPS. I'm forced to play it in 720p, because it's using the ****ty intel card. And I'm going to be stuck with it for at least another 2 years.

1) When I did my initial research no one was having any problems with Optimus on the JM. All the posts (which I read on this forum) were simply "I love my JM." As someone not familiar with gaming laptops at all, Optimus seemed like a great feature - if it worked. Since it was the only machine that was reasonably priced at the time (and it was on sale), I went for it.

2) I have not found a single workaround that works with the JM. Most of the threads complaining about optimus on other machines either: a) Go unanswered/have no solution (like my thread on THIS forum), or b) Have a model-specific workaround (eg: a BIOS that actually lets you disable the intel card). You honestly think I haven't spent HOURS googling this before coming here? If it's so easy to fix, then tell me how to do it!

Replying on this thread so other threads are not derailed from your issues.

No I didn't imaging you spent hours looking into this as a google search and three tabs later I've found these links:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/500704/geforce-mobile-gpus/manual-control-over-optimus/
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

This appears to be the defacto way to get manual control of Optimus, however you don't even mention it.

Typing nVidia Optimus in google it auto suggest "not switching" I'm sorry you got surprised here, next time you may want to do your homework a bit better.

If you want a cookie cutter it always works experience for gaming there is always consoles, unfortunately PCs still require a bit of effort on your end to get things working just as you want.

Unfortunately I can't assist further as I can't replicate the issue myself having a JY and have never owned a device with Optimus. I suggest your redouble your effort and focus on Optimus in general and not just Asus laptops.

Perhaps try opening a support ticket with Asus, undoubtedly they get many of such tickets and are likely to have a ready solution... seams like there are many options more beneficial than complaining and bashing things...

joshindaphils wrote:
Replying on this thread so other threads are not derailed from your issues.

No I didn't imaging you spent hours looking into this as a google search and three tabs later I've found these links:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/500704/geforce-mobile-gpus/manual-control-over-optimus/
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

This appears to be the defacto way to get manual control of Optimus, however you don't even mention it.

Typing nVidia Optimus in google it auto suggest "not switching" I'm sorry you got surprised here, next time you may want to do your homework a bit better.

If you want a cookie cutter it always works experience for gaming there is always consoles, unfortunately PCs still require a bit of effort on your end to get things working just as you want.

Unfortunately I can't assist further as I can't replicate the issue myself having a JY and have never owned a device with Optimus. I suggest your redouble your effort and focus on Optimus in general and not just Asus laptops.

Perhaps try opening a support ticket with Asus, undoubtedly they get many of such tickets and are likely to have a ready solution... seams like there are many options more beneficial than complaining and bashing things...

Going over my internet history for the past 2 days (not including anytime I looked into it in the past and gave up because intel runs media players and stuff fine, so it wasn't a huge issue):

1) Approx 2 hours between 3am and 6am yesterday Googling my specific "access is denied" error message, finding out my Nvidia driver (which I hadn't updated in months) was bugged. Than about half an hour updating the driver, which didn't work (got rid of the "access is denied" issue, but didn't fix the issue where the game refused to use the Nvidia card)

2) An hour from 10:30am-11:30am Googling and uninstalling various programs (Asus gaming center, GPU tweak, intel drivers, checking all the BIOS options, etc) to see if any of them were the cause, and then restoring my system when it didn't work.

3) Another hour or so in the evening googling my issue more, and then attempting to install non-OEM updated intel drivers to see if it fixes my issue (using a workaround because intel doesn't allow non-OEM drivers on the G751Jm by default), and then rolling back when it didn't work.

Thanks for the links. I have no idea how you found them, but I will try it out :).

joshindaphils wrote:

Okay, I have tried messing with a whole ton of settings. I still can't get it to pick up my game. Ugh.....

Rares95
Level 8
You can't gain access to the Intel GPU with G751.

falkenjeff
Level 7
Talked to Nvidia support. They told me it's up to the GAME DEVELOPER to make sure Optimus selects the right card, and that it's not a driver issue at all.

What a ****ing load of crap.