cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow Z13 Power Adaptor not being detected occasionally

LekKajjy
Level 7
I've had the Flow Z13 for a month now and so far, everything seems great! There's just one issue that I've been having so I'm wondering if others have had similar issues?

I use my Flow Z13 with CalDigit TS4 dock - connecting to the dock via Thunderbolt 4 and then to an external monitor via USB-C display. Occasionally - like once a week or so, the Thunderbolt 4 port would not "detect" the dock or display. To make things even worse, it won't detect any power source that gets connected to the Thunderbolt 4 port, nor the USB-C in the XG Mobile connector. I've tried both of these ports using the official Asus 100W adaptor that came with it and other USB-C power source but when this happens, the Z13 doesn't detect anything (the orange light next to the Thunderbolt 4 port does not light up).

I've also use MyASUS diagnostics when this happen but the power source/adaoptor, including Asus' own, doesn't get picked up at all. After a few shut down/ startup and restart cycles, the issue would "go away" and the power adaptor is detected normally. I haven't figured out the sequence to make "it work" yet but once this happens, the charge light comes back on again and everything "works as it should". Thunderbolt 4 port is detected, Z13 gets charged, and the display works.

Anyone experienced this and perhaps have some tips/advice?
13 REPLIES 13

Andreasd083
Level 7
Not like that, but I'm using an USB multi adapter with 100W throughput but sometimes Armory Crate displays a message that this adapter does not deliver enough power for full performance, use the Asus adapter (translated from Swedish). At first it only displayed when using an extension cable to the hub (I thought it was the cable although it was specified to deliver 100w) but now sometimes it happens when the hub is connected directly. When putting the charger in one of the USB-C-ports it disappears. As it has only 2 USB-C (3) ports I would like to have one free for accessories. The USB-A is unfortunately only 2.0 (useless IMO).

Using a 100W USB-PD charger gives the same warning message

Andreasd083 wrote:
Not like that, but I'm using an USB multi adapter with 100W throughput but sometimes Armory Crate displays a message that this adapter does not deliver enough power for full performance, use the Asus adapter (translated from Swedish). At first it only displayed when using an extension cable to the hub (I thought it was the cable although it was specified to deliver 100w) but now sometimes it happens when the hub is connected directly. When putting the charger in one of the USB-C-ports it disappears. As it has only 2 USB-C (3) ports I would like to have one free for accessories. The USB-A is unfortunately only 2.0 (useless IMO).

Using a 100W USB-PD charger gives the same warning message

Maybe both USB-C ports have different power delivery wattages, as one of it stated as power delivery and another as PD charging on the website for model of GZ301ZE & GZ301ZC. It also asterisks as "Power Delivery may vary according to regions". Where else for the model GZ301ZA which only comes with one USB-C port for power delivery.

JeeHh wrote:
Maybe both USB-C ports have different power delivery wattages, as one of it stated as power delivery and another as PD charging on the website for model of GZ301ZE & GZ301ZC. It also asterisks as "Power Delivery may vary according to regions". Where else for the model GZ301ZA which only comes with one USB-C port for power delivery.

It has two USB-C ports, one on the left side and one under the lid of the XG mobile dock. Both can be used for charging.

Andreasd083 wrote:
It has two USB-C ports, one on the left side and one under the lid of the XG mobile dock. Both can be used for charging.

Correct, but maybe due to one of the usb-c is thunderbolt 4 support and another one is just usb 3.2 gen 2 which may lead to your usb multi adapter having unstable connection issue.

Stego72
Level 7
LekKajjy wrote:
I've had the Flow Z13 for a month now and so far, everything seems great! There's just one issue that I've been having so I'm wondering if others have had similar issues?

I use my Flow Z13 with CalDigit TS4 dock - connecting to the dock via Thunderbolt 4 and then to an external monitor via USB-C display. Occasionally - like once a week or so, the Thunderbolt 4 port would not "detect" the dock or display. To make things even worse, it won't detect any power source that gets connected to the Thunderbolt 4 port, nor the USB-C in the XG Mobile connector. I've tried both of these ports using the official Asus 100W adaptor that came with it and other USB-C power source but when this happens, the Z13 doesn't detect anything (the orange light next to the Thunderbolt 4 port does not light up).

I've also use MyASUS diagnostics when this happen but the power source/adaoptor, including Asus' own, doesn't get picked up at all. After a few shut down/ startup and restart cycles, the issue would "go away" and the power adaptor is detected normally. I haven't figured out the sequence to make "it work" yet but once this happens, the charge light comes back on again and everything "works as it should". Thunderbolt 4 port is detected, Z13 gets charged, and the display works.

Did you get this resolved ? Also when using the TS4 (and it detecting it) do you get the full 100w that enables the "Turbo Mode" in Armory Crate or are you stuck in "Performance" as when trying to power with a 3rd party PSU (regardless of wattage)?

Sounds like an issue with the TS4, or maybe a compatibility issue between them.

I do notice with a USB-C hub I have that has lots of ports and ethernet, that the ethernet port often doesn't work when connected to the bottom (USB-C) port, but _always_ works when connected to the top (thunderbolt) port.

To make the ethernet port work on the lower USB-C port, I have to _shutdown_ the device, and boot it with the hub connected.

alimarzooq
Level 7

Hello, I bought my Asus rogflow z13 2 months ago and i am facing exactly the same issue... Did you solve it? 

AmberE
Level 8

I have exactly the same problem. Sometimes the Thunderbolt (v3 in my case) gets recognized no problem and everything attached to the thunderbolt works (including screen). Other times, it just recognizes it as a power supply, and my screen and everything else attached will not work. No changes, just plugging it in another day. It is frustrating, I hope it can be fixed.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @AmberE ,

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version? Could you please provide me with your laptop model so that I can give you the most up-to-date version?

Additionally, have you tried removing and reinstalling the ASUS System Control Interface v3 driver to see if it helps?

I'd like to confirm if you are plugging into the Type-C port near the indicator lights. Are you also connected to a power source while using it?

If the above steps don't resolve the issue, would you be able to record a video for us to further investigate the problem? Thank you.