cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a New Laptop

Retired
Not applicable
Hey everyone I am looking at buying either th G73SW-XT1 or the G74SX-XT1 the price difference is about 400 bucks the G74SX has 4 gigs of ram extra and the gtx 560m is that worth the extra 400 or would I be better off with the G73? Please give me your thoughts Thanks! 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

jorlanm
Level 7
or you may want to check the GT780DX with the GTX570m GPU
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

grungeboy2
Level 10
as far as i know the GTX460m is faster than the 560m. has to do with memory bandwidth. i think the 560m that comes in the 74 is hobbled. maybe we can get clairification on that.

i think you should go with the G73

Retired
Not applicable
If it helps anyone these are the ones I am looking at:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7124324&CatId=4938
and
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637440&CatId=4938

The max I want to spend is $1500 so the more I can save the more games I can buy and I am looking to get a nice gaming mouse.

i wouldn't buy from compusa. they're a dying company and you may end up with something that won't be covered under warranty.

second off, i think their prices are high. with all the folks having issues with their G74, i'd stay away, and get a older G73.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks man that is what I had been thinking myself as far as compusa not really worried about it since they are basically tiger-direct now.

grungeboy2
Level 10
after looking around, you're getting a solid deal from compusa. just be leery of the warranty. maybe ask what happens if they collapse further.

grungeboy wrote:
after looking around, you're getting a solid deal from compusa. just be leery of the warranty. maybe ask what happens if they collapse further.

If you're worried about the stability of the business then don't buy a premium warranty from them. Just make sure to register the manufacturer warranty and go direct for service & support. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks guys... I picked it up today on my way to work. I have 30 days to decided if I want the extended warranty if I get it its $299.99 for 3 years on accidental starting after the manufacturers one year is up and they said they would give me 10% off the warranty if I decided to get it. My question to them will be is will tiger direct honor the warranty or is it just through Compusa.

that's the question to ask. keep in mind that when businesses fold they usually get out of warranties in bankruptcy protection. i know that when the compusa's around here closed (none left around here anywhere) they did like circuit city and no longer honored warranties.