cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G751JT, Internet Speed topping out at 130 Mbps, solved ?

Zephyr064
Level 7
Hello,

I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me.

I recently received an Asus ROG G751JT from someone as a gift. He went Mac and didn't want this laptop anymore.

I'll try to give you as much information as possible and I'd be happy to respond as best I can.

I haven't been able to get any better internet speeds than 130 Mbps.

Everything is being connected via LAN cables and I have the proper Cat6 cables.

I have updated the drivers, removed any bloatware from Asus, even a fresh install. It is running Windows 10.

The Ethernet adapter says that it's connected at 1.0 Gbps. My ISP service is 250 Mbps.

On all my other devices, iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro and another Windows 10 laptop; all of them are getting that 250 Mbps speed. Except for the G751JT.

I've tried a direct connection to the modem, but I'm still getting a max of 130 Mbps.

I have confirmed the specs that it is a Gigabit Adapter. https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JT/specifications/

I thought that it might have been a faulty adapter and tried a USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, but still getting the same results of being capped at 130 Mbps.

I've tried setting the Speed & Duplex of the Ethernet Adapter from Auto Negotiation to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

azwxguy
Level 7
Too bad he went MAC. Sad face. Was the machine used? It might have taken a lightning strike somewhere along the way and toasted the LAN port. Can you plug your LAN cable into, say, a 5-port gigabit switch? See if you get any green LED network traffic. The flash rate might give you an indication of throughput when compared with a known good laptop. You might even be able to locate a replacement and polish up on your soldering skills. But if it was a lightning strike and there is damage further into the motherboard, you might never get it to work right.

Does the wifi work? Fast and all? Your LAN port might be damaged. All the connections in the LAN socket lined up and good?

Still under warranty?

Cheers.
N71JQ-A1, G752VM-RB71, GX703HR-XB96

Your ASUS G751JT has a Realtek LAN adapter. the latest Realtek driver is:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/Realtek_LAN_Driver_V10.34.307.2019_Win1_64-bit.zip
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Your ASUS G751JT has a Realtek LAN adapter. the latest Realtek driver is:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/Realtek_LAN_Driver_V10.34.307.2019_Win1_64-bit.zip

Just tried installing this. Same result, topping out at 130 Mbps.

Both LAN and WiFi adapters are affected. Must be Windows related.

You reinstalled Windows 10 with original drivers from your eSupport folder?

Did you use the ASUS Installation Wizard application?

Then upgraded Windows after all ASUS drivers and programs were installed?

Your Device Manager showing any problems?

This could also be a defective LAN chip on your motherboard.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Both LAN and WiFi adapters are affected. Must be Windows related.

You reinstalled Windows 10 with original drivers from your eSupport folder?

Did you use the ASUS Installation Wizard application?

Then upgraded Windows after all ASUS drivers and programs were installed?

Your Device Manager showing any problems?

Yes. As well a USB Gigabit Ethernet Dongle was affected as well.

Yes reinstalled Windows from the eSupport folder.

Not sure what that is, I don't recall seeing an ASUS Installation Wizard.

Yes, I updated all the drivers at the same time, then the system did the Windows update.

Device Manager show no problems.

The LAN chip is beside the ethernet connector on the motherboard, should be labeled Realtek. Take a close look at both the ethernet connector (inside and out) and the soldered connections to the LAN Chip. Is the ethernet connector loose?

It will require motherboard removal to inspect the LAN chip and ethernet connector.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

Hey jdfrench3, thank you for your responses.

I had forgotten my password and wasn't able to get in for a while.

But I upgraded to the Windows 10 2004, then my system went a little wonky, so I went back... and just by chance I tested my speed again, and now it's showing 249Mbps.

I wonder what happened there.

I would guess it has something to do with Windows then.

azwxguy wrote:
Too bad he went MAC. Sad face. Was the machine used? It might have taken a lightning strike somewhere along the way and toasted the LAN port. Can you plug your LAN cable into, say, a 5-port gigabit switch? See if you get any green LED network traffic. The flash rate might give you an indication of throughput when compared with a known good laptop. You might even be able to locate a replacement and polish up on your soldering skills. But if it was a lightning strike and there is damage further into the motherboard, you might never get it to work right.

Does the wifi work? Fast and all? Your LAN port might be damaged. All the connections in the LAN socket lined up and good?

Still under warranty?

Cheers.

Unfortunately, no, it's used and no longer under warranty. It's currently connected to a 5 port gigabit switch. The light is green.

I've used a USB Ethernet Gigabit dongle, but I'm still topping out at 130 Mbps.

I tried on the Wifi and it's the same, topping out at 130 Mbps.