cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus + Nvidia + Intel : BIg issue (G551JM-CN102H)

myopyo
Level 7
Hi, 🙂

I wonder if it is normal that I have access to a limited part of the nvidia control panel with my GeForce 860M?
http://puu.sh/hINAh/173ce5836a.png

I had the same issue with the first Asus I have bought : G551JM (I made me reimburse because of a defective button)

I noticed that the color saturation is too high.
The display becomes good when the nvidia driver is uninstalled.
I wish I could adjust the colors on the nvidia control panel and access to ALL features ..

My drivers (intel and nvidia) are up-to-date.

A girl in distress.
6 REPLIES 6

Svift
Level 7
That is optimus in a nutshell. Very limiting and except battery life on web or movies absolutely useless. Also your windows enviroment is always and only rendered by intel integrated chip. That is very bad news for prohotoshop, cad, corel users.

There is no way to bypass it. 😞 I solved it by getting another machine without optimus.

Svift gave you the answer get a notebook that does not have optimus
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Svift wrote:
That is optimus in a nutshell. Very limiting and except battery life on web or movies absolutely useless. Also your windows enviroment is always and only rendered by intel integrated chip. That is very bad news for prohotoshop, cad, corel users.

There is no way to bypass it. 😞 I solved it by getting another machine without optimus.

But in NVIDIA control panel you have the option to use the NVIDIA GPU for programs like Photoshop etc?
Does it not really use it? I'm confused

ROGer G551 wrote:
But in NVIDIA control panel you have the option to use the NVIDIA GPU for programs like Photoshop etc?
Does it not really use it? I'm confused

In Windows 8, you have to start Nvidia Control Panel as Administrator. And you may have to start your game as Administrator. That's it. Ignore all the other advice on this, including Asus support. I think Nvidia is at fault here for not updating thier interface to support Windows 8 security features. Laptop support are just told to cover for them. "If you don't like it, buy a different laptop." Or use administrator or install Windows 7 over it (the advice being spread around at Toms Hardware forum).

theCoder
Level 7
Try starting nvidia control panel as administrator. You should be able to save your settings. At least, I was able to with my GL551JW

myopyo
Level 7
Ok. i read that too : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61306-G551-BSOD-Driver_Power_State_Failure and I decided to get another machine.
It's my third Asus and I always have the same problem, so it will be the last.

Thanks for your answers