cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g74sx video card issue

Paulminn
Level 7
Hi,

For some reason, my laptop now boot up with the standard vga graphics adapter instead of the nvidia geforce gtx 560m. Anyone able to explain why this is and how to fix it? Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

Forsythe
Level 7
I'm having the same issue with mine. It just started randomly. I've updated my video card driver, but no fix.

Same here.....did you guys send the laptop back for tech support?

dstrakele
Level 14
I suspect your NVIDIA video driver is corrupted. Is it possible to use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the video driver was updated (possibly by ASUS Live Update)? See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore for details.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Restore did not work. NVidia does not even show in the system. It reverted to internal VGA graphics. Its like the entire NVidia disappeared.

PeteG wrote:
Restore did not work. NVidia does not even show in the system. It reverted to internal VGA graphics. Its like the entire NVidia disappeared.

Why did System Restore Fail? Did it give an error? Did you go back far enough? Or did you not have a Restore Point?

With a System Restore Failure, and if I did not have a recent Windows System Image to Restore from backup, I would probably install Driver Sweeper and sweep to remove any NVIDIA driver remnants (if they exist). I might also use CCleaner in Windows Safe Mode to clean up the registry, then REBOOT into Safe Mode again to install the NVIDIA driver.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

PeteG wrote:

If nVidia graphics driver and any of its components don't appear even in Windows Programs and Features, you may try this:

Reboot in Safe Mode (F8).
Use the Phyxion Driver Sweeper software to clean nVidia- Display and nVidia- PhysX.
Reboot in Safe Mode again, (Edit: clean registry again with CCleaner).
Re-install the nVidia driver.
Reboot normally.

And even if they're there in the Program and Features, I suggest a manual un-installation
of all nVidia driver and components, and do the same as suggested above.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

instead of putting out ****ty products put out good ones. This is bull**** all the crap I am having to go through just to play 1 ****ing game! **** you and your goddamn republic of ****ing gamers. ****ING MORONS!

Don't hold back Russell... Tell us what you really think.

I can't guarantee any of the other mods will feel the same, but I tend to be a firm believer that people get one or two messages like yours, but after that I tend to expect you to have gotten it out of your system and act like an adult. Otherwise I will wave my magic moderator wand and make the posts disappear. That is quickly followed by my magic moderator ban hammer, and you'll be at the whim of my generosity at that particular moment as to whether it's a temporary or permanent ban.

If you want to present your problem in a calm and coherent fashion, I think you'll find a number of people around here willing to help. Just ask yourself if you would want to help someone who said to you something like you did in your post.

russell_ross wrote:
instead of putting out ****ty products put out good ones. This is bull**** all the crap I am having to go through just to play 1 ****ing game! **** you and your goddamn republic of ****ing gamers. ****ING MORONS!

cl-scott wrote:
Don't hold back Russell... Tell us what you really think...

🙂 Venting out is good for the health, I must say. But pointing fingers at everybody and/or
making sweeping generalizations (i.e. name calling everyone) will surely bring ill will.

It's all right not to spell-out everything (for offensive words will surely be blocked),
but it would be best to spill-out something (i.e. your specific problem/s with your ROG unit,
if ever you have it).

Except for a handful of ASUS employees on this forums, we, just like you, are ASUS customers.
And we are here because we know these are community forums- we help and are helped.

So, come on, bring out your unit's issue, and we'll try to find a solution for it..
But in case you're just here to spew some hate and nothing else, you know
the door where you came in.. you're always free to get out..
ASUS G74SX-3DE