cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73jw random freezes?

Sunny77
Level 7
Hi all:)

I've got freezes lasting 1-3s, every 10s or so, in games like FC2, DCS World, & FSX, W7 is kind of slowish,
& the keyboard presses are lagging. I also get this when watching videos online.
I don't get any BSOD's CTD's or whole computer freezes.

My laptop is an 2 years old ASUS G73JW, this started 1 month ago, Since then I've:
did a fresh system reinstall, w7 sp1,
done all the trouble shooting I could find searching the net.
newest drivers for all devices, HD/GPU/GPU/W7 checks, processes on/off, Realtech HD sound checked etc. etc...
tried different Nvida drivers
don't use McAffe antivirus.
But nothing helps...frezzes are still there.
The only thing I haven't tried is an external SSD coz I don't own one.
After reading other threads I'm suspecting my HD, but how can I be sure, all the HD checks show nothing?

I've been trying to solve this mess for a month now with Asus support & googling & it's driving me nuts.....
I'm totally out of ideas, please help me solve this...thank you!

Specs: Asus G73JW-TY190V - i5 460M 2.53 GHz/ 4GB / Hard Drive 500.0 GB Hybrid Drive ( 4.0 GB flash ) 7200.0 rpm Interface: Serial ATA-150, / 17" TFT / GF GTX 460M / DVD / BT / Win7 HP.
14 REPLIES 14

dstrakele
Level 14
The "mini-freezes" you report have been reported by others for the Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HDD. It appears to be a firmware issue. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22479-Computer-GPU-Stuttering.

You'll note that HDTune and CHKDSK also reported no problems on that user's HDD.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Pitcher1
Level 9
are you install by recover partition or install youself? it sound like system and driver problem.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
are you install by recover partition or install youself? it sound like system and driver problem.

I did install by recover partition.

Jporter396
Level 7
i had the most annoying thing ever happen due to outdated intel rapid storage drivers, go into event viewer and see if the events listed match up with your freezes. my even name that caused the freezes was iastor 9.
Asus G73JH & Asus G75VX

Jporter396 wrote:
i had the most annoying thing ever happen due to outdated intel rapid storage drivers, go into event viewer and see if the events listed match up with your freezes. my even name that caused the freezes was iastor 9.

Bingo! I have: Event id-9, Event source iaStor 3 events in last 24hrs
EventData
\Device\Ide\iaStor0
0F0005000100000000000000090004C00100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
What is it?

Google, Intel rapid storage driver and install the latest ones from intels website. This seemed to work for me and I haven't had thus happen yet. I believe the issue is a small problem with the hard drive and the timing with the motherboard. The driver should fix that. Lemme know if it works.
Asus G73JH & Asus G75VX

Jporter396 wrote:
Google, Intel rapid storage driver and install the latest ones from intels website. This seemed to work for me and I haven't had thus happen yet. I believe the issue is a small problem with the hard drive and the timing with the motherboard. The driver should fix that. Lemme know if it works.

Installed the Intel rapid storage driver....but unfortunately it didn't cure the freezes, thanx for the help!

No problem, have you googled the event name, thats how i found out my problem
Asus G73JH & Asus G75VX

If the freezes happen when using video content I would suspect that the GPU may be overheating. Does this happen when you first start your pc or when you've had it on for awhile? I recently repasted my both my CPU and GPU on my new G73 but on my old one I had a similar issue that you are having which I fixed by dismantling the computer and repasting. While apart I noticed that my exhaust vents were completely covered by dust and debris so very little heat was making it out. Anyhow, this fixed my problem with freezing during graphically demanding content.