cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any flaws with G752VS?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hey guys, I'm back. ;d

I'm grabbing a G752VS tomorrow since there's one on clearance for $2500 (AUD)

It's the 32gb model, 1tb drive with 256 SSD (I believe NVMe) with GTX 1070 8gb model.. Think that it's worth the price? ;d (I play a Voxel and 16 gigs with all my programs isn't enough. The other 16gb one is 2400, thought +$100 why not..)

Anyhow, hoping you guys can give me some info (long winded is appreciated) about what flaws and problems there are with the G752VS.

So far I know sound's crap.. that's expected from a laptop.. Also I'll be wiping it and installing Windows 8.1, hopefully it's possible and drivers work. Is Optimus a problem still?

Also why is the Kabylake version still like $3500/4000+ when the CPU's are practically the same..?

Anyhow, load me with info on the crap things about the G752VS, I'm going from a G750JX (fk'n LOVED her..)

Oh critical thing, is it able to do 3D on the laptop's screen?
8 REPLIES 8

Darnassus
Status Under Review
So far..

1: Internal battery.
2: Win10
3: Shoddy speakers (as with all laptops)

What's the difference between G752VS-GC106T and G752VS-GC107T

Darnassus wrote:

What's the difference between G752VS-GC106T and G752VS-GC107T

After looking on a couple of websites, the only notable difference is that the 107 seems to be sold in a bundle with a ROG backpack, ROG mouse and ROG headset

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Yeah I saw that.. though some sites are selling it as just the laptop, but for $100 more.. which got me curious. :f

I guess they're doing it wrong?

Just to make sure since the thing I've noticed is some sites say the screen is 75Hz and some don't say anything.. what's the actual screen refresh rate, and is 75 the only model?

Is 3D available on said screen?

And is there such thing as a model with a 2.5" SSD? Or are they all those NVMe sticks?

Darnassus wrote:
Yeah I saw that.. though some sites are selling it as just the laptop, but for $100 more.. which got me curious. :f

I guess they're doing it wrong?

Just to make sure since the thing I've noticed is some sites say the screen is 75Hz and some don't say anything.. what's the actual screen refresh rate, and is 75 the only model?

Is 3D available on said screen?

And is there such thing as a model with a 2.5" SSD? Or are they all those NVMe sticks?

The native panel varies by model (can be 1080p, can be 4K) and so does the refresh rate. The gfx card will support 3D, but you also need a screen with at least 120 Hz refresh rate.

The design of G752VS allows you to have: 2x NVMe SSD (PCIe type), 1x 2.5" SATA3 SSD/HDD plus one optional 2.5" SSD/HDD if you remove the optical drive and use a caddy instead.

Different models come with different starting options, but I believe it is either NVMe SSD (1 or 2) and/or SATA3 HDD (1). Any particular reason you are interested in a SATA SSD?
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Sheltem wrote:
The native panel varies by model (can be 1080p, can be 4K) and so does the refresh rate. The gfx card will support 3D, but you also need a screen with at least 120 Hz refresh rate.

The design of G752VS allows you to have: 2x NVMe SSD (PCIe type), 1x 2.5" SATA3 SSD/HDD plus one optional 2.5" SSD/HDD if you remove the optical drive and use a caddy instead.

Different models come with different starting options, but I believe it is either NVMe SSD (1 or 2) and/or SATA3 HDD (1). Any particular reason you are interested in a SATA SSD?

Because I've already got a SATA SSD and don't see the appeal in changing form factor. NVMe is much more expensive to increase with space, though it's much faster I assume..? I do not know, need to experiment.

Hmm, I THINK the model I'm getting is 1080p which is more than enough for me. It says..
17.3" Full-High Definition, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1070 8G, BluRay Reader, Windows 10, 1-year Warranty

Don't think the Kaby Lake's desirable.. but I'd LOVE the extra ram, I sometimes run virtual machines and my Voxel games fill my ram up to 100% sometimes.

Does the Caddy come with the unit? I think I'll be swapping it out. I always just use ISO's or Bootable USB's. I think I've used the CD Drive like.. 3-4 times over the 3.5 years of ownership just to burn a disc for UBCD.

You'll have to purchase the conversion caddy for Optical drive replacement. these G752 come with two PCIe Slots for NVME SSD and 1 slot for 2.5" SATA drive. I don't remember any Asus Gaming notebooks with built in 3D since the G75VW that had the 3D option?
Windows 10 is quite useable with Classic Shell. I believe these newer notebooks work better running 10 than 8.1, Its just we have things to learn or relearn. I personally have moved all my computers to 10 except my wife's All In On Hp Touch Screen. or my G75VW, I gradually talked myself into it with the other because I knew they were and would be compatible with 10. My G752VY came with 10 home and I upgrade it to 10 Pro.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Clintlgm wrote:
You'll have to purchase the conversion caddy for Optical drive replacement. these G752 come with two PCIe Slots for NVME SSD and 1 slot for 2.5" SATA drive. I don't remember any Asus Gaming notebooks with built in 3D since the G75VW that had the 3D option?
Windows 10 is quite useable with Classic Shell. I believe these newer notebooks work better running 10 than 8.1, Its just we have things to learn or relearn. I personally have moved all my computers to 10 except my wife's All In On Hp Touch Screen. or my G75VW, I gradually talked myself into it with the other because I knew they were and would be compatible with 10. My G752VY came with 10 home and I upgrade it to 10 Pro.

..... I'm..... naughty. ;d

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I've read there's "G-Sync Issues" can someone explain? Or anyone have said issues?