cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 Easy steps to speed up your RoG

cuniac
Level 7
I've been playing with my G751JY for a little over a month now and thought I would post a few things I did to get some tiny performance boots. These may be things everyone already knows, but here they are just in case 🙂

1. Uninstall GamesFirst III, Game Center & The Asus Cloud app (that I cant remember the name of lol). Asus pre-loads these laptops with some of their software that is suppose to make things run better or add functionality. Honestly, I did not notice them helping and after I uninstalled them saw minor speed improvements.

2. Uninstall McAfee. McAfee is horrible. Its much too obstructing to use on a gaming laptop. Uninstall it via Programs and Features then run the McAfee uninstall app you get from their support site. Your computer will then default over to the integrated Windows Defender and that works just fine.
LINK TO TOOL

3. Open the Nvidia Experience, go to battery and turn off the FPS limiter or set it to max. This is a setting Nvidia has to help improve battery life. While I'm sure it does help, it also takes a big chunk of performance away when on battery. Setting this to max or off is still not going to make it run as smooth as it does on AC Power. But it helps.

4. Open the Nvidia Control Panel, go to Global settings and change V-Sync from Adaptive to On. This was a huge problem with some games. Fallout 4 was locking in at 32FPS when it was set to Adaptive. I could edit the settings file for Fallout to turn of V-Sync but then it would have tarring, even with G-Sync since it needed V-Sync to work. After I switched V-Sync from Adaptive to On it shot up to 72FPS. It is now silky smooth.

5. Disable Nvidia Streaming Service. Nvidia has a steaming service that is always running, waiting for a Shield device to connect to. I have not thoroughly tested this myself but a lot of people claim disabling this task has added a few more FPS while playing.
http://www.legitreviews.com/disabling-nvidia-streamer-service-gives-video-card-performance-boost_162...

6. Disable In-Game Overlays. Most Gaming applications such as Steam & Uplay have In-Game Overlays that help you chat, join games or just have a fancy in-game menu system. These also take up recourses. Disabling these can help prevent in game hiccups and free up a tiny amount of resources. It all adds up.

7. Close any un-necessary applications before gaming. Everything running is going to take up resourse on your machine. It maybe a little or a lot or even nothing until your in the middle of a game and it tries to run a task. Before starting your game close all other open apps, check you system tray and make sure nothing is running in there. There is nothing worse than going for that headshot and someone starts to stream a Plex movie from your computer...

8. Play with AC Adaptor. Ok, this one isn't much of a tip but the Laptop is throttled when not on AC Power. So if playing a game that is fairly demanding, hook it up to AC Power for best performance.

If anyone has anymore Tips, please post them below 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

nandodean
Level 7
Thanks for the post! Especially 4,5 and 6 were really helpful

Saipher
Level 7
cuniac wrote:
3. Open the Nvidia Experience, go to battery and turn off the FPS limiter or set it to max. This is a setting Nvidia has to help improve battery life. While I'm sure it does help, it also takes a big chunk of performance away when on battery. Setting this to max or off is still not going to make it run as smooth as it does on AC Power. But it helps.

You probably meant GeForce Experience (instead of Nvidia Experience). My advice is uninstall it. Uninstalling it gave me +500 points on 3dMark11 Firestrike score. And yes, tested and measured several times. Before uninstall, 5 runs average score was about 8000 (I can go and calculate the exact number if needed), after uninstall score went up to about 8500. This on stock settings on the GPU and CPU. With some tweaking on GPU Tweak and Intel XTU, best I've gotten so far is ~9500 on i7-4720HQ and 980M 4Gb on 359.06 drivers. The newest drivers (released Dec 21st I think) would not install on my system, no matter what I tried.

Saipher wrote:
You probably meant GeForce Experience (instead of Nvidia Experience). My advice is uninstall it. Uninstalling it gave me +500 points on 3dMark11 Firestrike score. And yes, tested and measured several times. Before uninstall, 5 runs average score was about 8000 (I can go and calculate the exact number if needed), after uninstall score went up to about 8500. This on stock settings on the GPU and CPU. With some tweaking on GPU Tweak and Intel XTU, best I've gotten so far is ~9500 on i7-4720HQ and 980M 4Gb on 359.06 drivers. The newest drivers (released Dec 21st I think) would not install on my system, no matter what I tried.

Ill Try to run some benchmarks with it uninstalled when I get home and see if I get the some response. And yes, I meant GeForce Experience lol 😛

Korth
Level 14
Much of the Asus bloatware can be cleaned out automatically with run-once tools like this or this.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

My GL551JW is on its way. I plan on removing McAfee, and installing Norton, since as a Comcast customer I get Norton for free. I haven't had any issues with Norton on my current low-end Asus laptop.

sisu4ever wrote:
My GL551JW is on its way. I plan on removing McAfee, and installing Norton, since as a Comcast customer I get Norton for free. I haven't had any issues with Norton on my current low-end Asus laptop.

The issue is not that is has McAfee instead of Norton, but that it has 3rd party security software at all. The native security software i.e. Windows Defender uses far less resources and is much less impacting on your computer. 3rd party programs are usually more secure than they need to be, and hinder your network performance in addition to using more resources than the native software.

aeolisio
Level 10
cuniac wrote:
I've been playing with my G751JY for a little over a month now and thought I would post a few things I did to get some tiny performance boots. These may be things everyone already knows, but here they are just in case 🙂

1. Uninstall GamesFirst III, Game Center & The Asus Cloud app (that I cant remember the name of lol). Asus pre-loads these laptops with some of their software that is suppose to make things run better or add functionality. Honestly, I did not notice them helping and after I uninstalled them saw minor speed improvements.

2. Uninstall McAfee. McAfee is horrible. Its much too obstructing to use on a gaming laptop. Uninstall it via Programs and Features then run the McAfee uninstall app you get from their support site. Your computer will then default over to the integrated Windows Defender and that works just fine.
LINK TO TOOL

4. Open the Nvidia Control Panel, go to Global settings and change V-Sync from Adaptive to On. This was a huge problem with some games. Fallout 4 was locking in at 32FPS when it was set to Adaptive. I could edit the settings file for Fallout to turn of V-Sync but then it would have tarring, even with G-Sync since it needed V-Sync to work. After I switched V-Sync from Adaptive to On it shot up to 72FPS. It is now silky smooth.

5. Disable Nvidia Streaming Service. Nvidia has a steaming service that is always running, waiting for a Shield device to connect to. I have not thoroughly tested this myself but a lot of people claim disabling this task has added a few more FPS while playing.
http://www.legitreviews.com/disabling-nvidia-streamer-service-gives-video-card-performance-boost_162...

6. Disable In-Game Overlays. Most Gaming applications such as Steam & Uplay have In-Game Overlays that help you chat, join games or just have a fancy in-game menu system. These also take up recourses. Disabling these can help prevent in game hiccups and free up a tiny amount of resources. It all adds up.

7. Close any un-necessary applications before gaming. Everything running is going to take up resourse on your machine. It maybe a little or a lot or even nothing until your in the middle of a game and it tries to run a task. Before starting your game close all other open apps, check you system tray and make sure nothing is running in there. There is nothing worse than going for that headshot and someone starts to stream a Plex movie from your computer...

8. Play with AC Adaptor. Ok, this one isn't much of a tip but the Laptop is throttled when not on AC Power. So if playing a game that is fairly demanding, hook it up to AC Power for best performance.

If anyone has anymore Tips, please post them below 🙂

Useful guide but if it were me I would put #1 at clean windows install just start fresh with as few partitions and only the software you want instead of trying to remove certain programs.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dunedune
Level 7
The PC speed depends first in which Hardisk did u installed windows os ,SSD hardisk is way better to let windows load all files quickly comaparing with HDD . For instance my G551JW boot takes only 10 seconds to start all services and specific programs in windows while HDD takes approximately 40 - 60 seconds to boot and sometimes it spend 4 minutes to load services

TimeLion724
Level 8
Yeah, I keep all of my games on my SSD that's internal.
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS