cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues on G20CB after upgrading ram

Dung_Hwangbo
Level 9
Hi everyone, I need help with something that happened to my pc recently. So a few weeks ago I upgraded the ram from the stock 8gb stick to 2 sticks of 8gb corsair valueselect. After turning it on an american megatrends screen appeared saying "new cpu detected", I thought it was normal, I pressed f1 to run setup and I moved on. The second time I booted the pc the screen reappered, but this time it was different, once again i thought it was normal and i pressed f1. The third time was when i realized there was somenting wrong. The pc turned on, then turned off and after a few seconds it turned on again, and when i reached windows i couldn't log in because i got error 0x8009002d. It was easy to fix since i restored it with my microsoft account. The fourth time the pc did the same thing as last time, but instead it went to the bios screen this time. I tested the new ram with memtest86 to see if it was bad, but it isn't. After all of this, i decided to clear the CMOS of the machine because the issues were becoming constant. It was a bad idea, not only the startup issues didn't get fixed, but also the gpu stopped giving video output (the igpu still works at least). The fan seem to be working, but the graphic card isn't detected by the system anymore, so i'm not sure if it's toasted or not. I noticed that it was still showing on device manager as an hidden device, so i followed the instruction on this website: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-nvidia-graphics-card-encountered-code-45/f2...
It wasn't helpful at all, and now the gpu disappeared completely. I tried almost everything and i run out of ideas, i'm considering bringing the pc to a repair shop because i'm really scared to make things worse if i do anything else. Can you help me out with this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

dec242
Level 7
Good luck with that, Asus may host this forum but clearly does not care about customer issues as they never reply or are capable of giving competent answers.

It seems that it stopped booting to the american megatrends screen for now, instead it boots directly to windows, which is good. But the double startup issue still persists and the gpu is still absent.
Here is all the workarounds I tried:

• Reseating the graphics card
  • Checking if gpu cable was connected properly (it was)
  • Enabling dGPU from BIOS (it was missing, or at least i couldn't find it, the option to disable the iGPU was also missing, which i remember being there once)
  • Resetting BIOS settings to default (they already were)
  • Doing what was said in the link i posted above
  • Typing in command prompt the following
    bcdedit /set pciexpress forcedisable

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Don't know if it will make a difference for the missing GPU issue, but don't forgot to check the AC adapters and AC adapter connections in case they worked loose as mentioned in the sticky thread below, or try to unplug and re-connect them. Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101567-Help-Guys-G20-switching-gpu-back-to-Nvidia-but-miss...

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
Don't know if it will make a difference for the missing GPU issue, but don't forgot to check the AC adapters and AC adapter connections in case they worked loose as mentioned in the sticky thread below, or try to unplug and re-connect them. Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101567-Help-Guys-G20-switching-gpu-back-to-Nvidia-but-miss...

Yeah, I saw that post and I already did that, but thanks anyway. Also I was wrong, the BIOS screen reappeared today, here it is if you were wondering:

Turns out the CMOS battery was dead, which explains a lot of things and also means that the new ram wasn't the culprit. I will let you know the results after I change it. Can you suggest me a compatible replacement? Here is the original: 94974

Good news! I managed to fix the issues after changing the battery, but i'll explain the full story because more things happened in the process.
Finding a new battery was quite challenging since these wired models aren't easy to find, but i found one eventually. Then, i plugged it in the motherboard and when i turned on the system, even the onboard HDMI gave me no signal, meaning that i couldn't see anything! At this point i was quite desperate and since i had nothing more to lose, i attempted doing another CMOS reset on my own. This morning I opened it up and i swapped the CLRTC pins for 10 seconds, while leaving both the battery and the GPU cable plugged in. Thank God it worked! The Nvidia GPU was finally back! As soon as i booted into Windows, i reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and everything was back to normal, almost. The integrated GPU was still missing for some reason, so i went into the bios once again, on the system agent configuration, on graphic settings, and i set the iGPU multi monitor option to enabled. And it worked! now both iGPU and dGPU are detected by the system and the startup issues have ceased completely, meaning that the new battery works perfectly. I hope this thread will be helpful for other people in the future, and thank you everyone for your support! Back in business i guess.