cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sudden issues with memory on X299 gaming II

haightc
Level 7
:
I have a x299 Gaming-II and all the sudden I started getting errors in games that I had insuffienct resources. Then I notice fpsVR was only showing 8gb of RAM, where as in CPU-Z it would say 64gb. So I pulled all of my memory and tried booting with each stick. I found that my machine wouldn't get past memory check with two of the sticks alone. So I put all the memory back except those two stick CPU-Z says 48gb, windows says 8.. ... So then I open ASUS SPD in the bios and only the first stick shows in in SPD with all the information, all the rest just say the model number nothing else. Now memory check will hang up in a have a DIMM in any slot but the first one (B1). All sticks will boot and windows will run just fine when install into B1 but not when installed to any other slot
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Remove any overclocking including XMP profile

Reseat the CPU cooler and CPU and report back.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

turning off XMP didn't help... stangly I got slots 3 mem slot back reseating the CPU... D1 still won't recognize any installed ram...
d1's ram chip will show up with model number any timings but not name and description
I run hard line liquid cooling so pulling the CPU and reseating is a task
Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Remove any overclocking including XMP profile

Reseat the CPU cooler and CPU and report back.

haightc wrote:
turning off XMP didn't help... stangly I got slots 3 mem slot back reseating the CPU... D1 still won't recognize any installed ram...
d1's ram chip will show up with model number any timings but not name and description
I run hard line liquid cooling so pulling the CPU and reseating is a task

I also run hard-line so can appreciate it's not ideal when needing to troubleshoot these things, there's always a trade off. If reseating the CPU resulted in more memory being detected it would appear to be a mounting issue. Also check the stand offs are not over-torqued surrounding the CPU and memory array.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

haightc
Level 7
Asus SPD is now saying 16gb.... Information only full report on B1 & B2. It just weird that it would just start doing this now. It's been hanging out like this for about a year. The spring on my barrow water are pretty strong, so getting them initially thread in takes some force. the screw are knurled thumb screw which should reduce the likely-hood of over tightening. I looked at the exposed screw threw threads with a flashlight. I can backing them off slightly to see if that helps as well.

**update 22Jun2022**
tried reseating my CPU twice and still can't get the system to recognize two slots, in SPD D1 & D2... Next steps in the queue to try are some more new RAM, just replaced the two sticks that previously failed an mem check. Then try new CPU block. If that doesn't work I'll next try and old x299 board that might or might now work, possible water damage, my ASUS 3070 ekwb have had to go back as block loves to leak (twice now).

And what was the reason and final solution? 

I have the same problem: mobo is new + original BIOS 1301 + 8x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3200 MHz with Hynix chips (ver. 5.32) - only 3 channels A,B,C are visible, slots D1, D2 are not recognized, but what surprised me - in BIOS for slots D1,D2 only memory type is displayed (neither capacity nor manufacturer). For other slots A,B,C full DRAM information is displayed. It looks like D1, D2 slots are visible only partially ?  I tested sticks from these slots in second machine with the same socket (ASUS X299 PRIME-A) with Thypoon Burner (Win10x64) and it reads them correctly (!). Like in the first case - slots D1, D2 of PRIME-A were not visible in BIOS. I don't think it is BIOS issue, rather memory incompatibility , wrong voltage / latency settings or faulty one of DRAM sticks....