cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore

LiveOrDie
Level 11
ASUS today launched the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Rampage VI Extreme Encore socket LGA2066 motherboard. This board replaces the original ROG Rampage VI Extreme from the product-stack, but is positioned a notch below the Extreme Omega. It still has a beefy EATX PCB, but with slight variations to the layout. A few features such as the U.2 port are removed, while some of the connectivity options receive major updates. To begin with, the Extreme Encore features Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) WLAN (the Extreme Omega has the older 802.11ac standard). The Extreme Encore also features a 20 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port, which combines 10 Gbps wiring from two ports to a single port. The wired networking is unchanged, with a 10 GbE interface driven by an Aquantia controller, and a 1 GbE driven by an Intel i219-V.

ASUS also reworked the CPU VRM compared to the original Rampage VI Extreme. The new Extreme Encore features a 16-phase CPU VRM with Infineon TDA21472 power-stages, and a large fan-heatsink with more surface-area than even the heatsink featured on the Extreme Omega. The memory VRM is a 4-phase (2+2 phase) setup. The expansion slot area has been made a little more usable, with x16, space, x4, x16, space x16, compared to the x16, double-space, x16, x4, x16 layout of the Extreme Omega. The Extreme Encore features the latest ROG design scheme, with even more acrylic aRGB diffusers. The rest of the board's feature-set is identical to that of the Extreme Omega. The ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore is expected to be priced at USD $649.99.

Source

153 REPLIES 153

LiveOrDie
Level 11
So what are peoples thoughts on this board? Its pretty much the Omega with a few changes, It looks to have a color LCD panel rather than a LED one.

tistou77
Level 13
Thanks for the info 😉

Difference with Omega ?
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
Thanks for the info 😉

Difference with Omega ?

Faster Wifi, 8x sata ports, no U.2, 4x M.2 slots, bigger VRM heatsink, color LED display, more RGBs, USB 3.2 and its cheaper.

tistou77
Level 13
Ok, thanks

Always 1 less PCIe slot compared to the R6E
USB 3.x must always be managed by ASMedia and not Intel

the other 2 M2 are under the "shell" I guess ?
Sorry for my english 😄

tistou77 wrote:
Ok, thanks

Always 1 less PCIe slot compared to the R6E
USB 3.x must always be managed by ASMedia and not Intel

the other 2 M2 are under the "shell" I guess ?

The omega supports 4x m.2 but the Encore supports full size M.2s on both slots, when the omega doesn't due to its layout, which is why they have moved around the slots.

Still its hardly a upgrade if your already on a Extreme or Omega, but the M.2 and VRM cooling is worth the upgrade from the normal Extreme.

The power phases and the timing of this board I feel like Intel will drop a higher core count CPU on X299 very soon.

tistou77
Level 13
I'll wait to see if there will be another Rampage 😄 😄
The layout of the PCIe on the Omega and Encore are not suitable for my PC
Sorry for my english 😄

Homewrecker
Level 9
I'll pass on this one. No point in getting new blocks and breaking open my loop just for the sake of a lateral 'upgrade'.

BigJohnny
Level 13
losing PCIE lane and U2 is a deal breaker for me. When someone comes up with an M2 that will top the 905P AIC and U2 then ill take another look.

lukeyboy89
Level 7
This VRM should have no issues with a 9990XE (The auction CPU that draws about 650W)?

Is the VRM better or worse than the Omega?

Which board would you choose out of the two? I ask because i have a faulty Omega that i will be returning, and i may pick this up instead.. price isn't an issue, i just want the best performance.