cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME CPU Support Bios version

speedyrazor
Level 7
Hi, I can see on the Asus website, that they are saying that most i9 CPU's are supported from Bios version 1603:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_CPU/

But looking in the bios section, the latest Bios is only version 1503, is this just a typo?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Regards.
13 REPLIES 13

Deepbluee
Level 7
I guess they are going to release Bios v1603 soon, it hasn't released yet.

Deepbluee wrote:
I guess they are going to release Bios v1603 soon, it hasn't released yet.

Do you know what will be in this update? Surprised there isn't a beta out yet?

cekeu
Level 12

JustinThyme
Level 13
Looks like 1603 was mostly about the 99XX CPUS.
Seeing how Im about to pull the trigger on a 9960X guess Im just gonna have to update the BIOS before I start taking things apart.
I was looking to try more cores than my current 7900Xs 10 and curious if the 9960X will exceed the 7960X. Why not just go with 18 cores? Not a budget issue. Reading about and comparing top dogs in bench marks and the 7960 bested the 7980 on close to half and was only behind a slight margin on the rest. OC results seem to be better. Might have a better chance yet with a soldered IHS.

Anyone want to try and talk me into the 9980XE instead?

I was toying with the idea of the Sage MOBBO and adding another GPU until I saw the damn prices!!! I literally paid the same for 2x 1080TI Strix cards than what one goes for now. 2080TIs are in the same price range.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Seeing how Im about to pull the trigger on a 9960X guess Im just gonna have to update the BIOS before I start taking things apart.
I was looking to try more cores than my current 7900Xs 10 and curious if the 9960X will exceed the 7960X. Why not just go with 18 cores? Not a budget issue. Reading about and comparing top dogs in bench marks and the 7960 bested the 7980 on close to half and was only behind a slight margin on the rest. OC results seem to be better. Might have a better chance yet with a soldered IHS.

I was toying with the idea of the Sage MOBBO and adding another GPU until I saw the damn prices!!! I literally paid the same for 2x 1080TI Strix cards than what one goes for now. 2080TIs are in the same price range.

Your board has USB BIOS Flashback. Without being able to discern your workload, it's a how long is a piece of string question. If it's a gaming system for example, then there's no need to push the boat out here. Arguably, a better upgrade would be a 9900K.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme wrote:

I think the clocks are higher for 7960 because there are less cores. I have 7980xe delided with liquid metal and clock 4.8 on two highest cores and 4.6 on the rest. If you are unwilling to delid, then the 9980 is the exact same chip but with solder. The temps are extreme regardless what series you get. I have 3 large rads and custom loop. 4.8 is reasonable for me, but without the rad space it is safer at 4.4 for everyday use. Assuming you get a decent chip. Delid and liquid metal is worth it though. No thermal throttling when tuned properly

JustinThyme
Level 13
Not going to delid a soldered chip. Ive been running a 7900X with all cores up to 5Ghz but day to day the are all at 4.8Ghz. It was of course delidded as the tooth paste wasnt cutting it. Yes Im sure its because it has two less cores. Im currently running 2x 480 rads in a custom loop and looking to add more because they all run hot.

As for a 9900K, you are right...Its arguable. For my use gaming is maybe 20% tops. The bulk is Photo and video editing. I dont see a 9900K besting a 5Ghz CPU with 2 more cores let alone one with twice as many in this aspect. If this was my first X299 chip and I was on a tighter budget as well as only gaming Id probably go for a 9900K. Im figuring its my last upgrade to this platform as Im sure the next will require another chipset and Im not diving off that cliff again any time soon. Much the same reason the less powerful M9F and M8E builds in the house stopped there. Im thinking about the time I run the X299 for all its worth the Z170 with its 5.0 GHz 6700K will be the first to hit the scrap heap as the M9F Z270 with a 7700K 5.2GHz beats it out by a little. I wasn't going any further down the Z train and if I didn't already have all the other investments in the Intel X299 I'd probably jump ship to AMD.

Im aware of the BIOS flashback, I always use that method to flash new ROMS and will do it this time too while the existing build is still intact. My intent is to make sure the UEFI works while I have a known functional chip and all the other components so if I pop in a new chip and there are issues im not chasing my tail wondering if its the chip or the UEFI/setup.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Abaidor
Level 9
@JustinThyme

If you are not going to delid which is not advisable anyway with the new SKUs then personally I would not go that route. You are going to get bad temps and lower clocks along with lower STP across the board. If you need more cores it might be worth it to consider getting one of the older SKUs (7960X), delid it and overclock.

I was torn between the 7940X, 7960X and 7980XE when I made the purchase list for my system and finally settled for the 7940X. The reason was because I did not need 18 Cores and because it offered the best single core speeds back then among the HCC CPUs. Yet, I thought that because it "only" has 14 cores I would be able to hit higher overclocks. I have been using the CPU for the last 8 months without a delid at 4.7Ghz/3 Cores, 4.6Ghz / 4 Cores and the rest @ 4.2 Cores. I can clock it higher but there was no way to cool it without a delid.

I then decided to wait for the new SKUs to see whether they performed better because of the soldered IHS....to my dismay they are not any champs of clocks. So I decided to deldi and go for direct die cooling. I ordered everything needed but I am still backordered on the Skylake-X direct die frame that will take up to month to arrive.

I will try to hit max clocks for now which will benefit me the most for what I do. My workflow utilizes cores nicely but not because of a single app more so because of heavy multitasking and VMs.

I will try to hit as high clocks as possible on 14-Cores with a strong custom water loop and call it a day. I don't see a point in going for a 7960X (too little core difference) or for a 7980XE and lower clocks at this point. My next upgrade will be Ice-Lake or Threadripper 2-3-4 whatever with DDR5 & PCI-E 4/5.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

JustinThyme
Level 13
I may just sit back and wait for a bit to see how things pan out a few months from now. Im not hurting with a 5GHz all cores 7900X.
No 99XX have hit main stream yet, only review samples.