Level 13
New bios for Rampage VI Extreme

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 3006
Improve system performance and stability
Improve DRAM stability
Update RC code for new CPU
Update ME FW
Update IRST and RSTe driver
Fix AURA issue when using Intel thunderbolt devices.
Fix some M.2 device detect issue
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus
74 REPLIES 74

tistou77
Level 13
Following the update of this bios, I had to reinstall the NVidia drivers, I don't know why
And I have a missing driver in the device manager (linked to ACPI it seems)

Do you have the same ?

Windows takes a little longer to boot compared to 2002 and the Last Bios time (startup tab in task manager) is not reset to 0 with a reboot (not very important but I looked at it to see the boot time)

In the bios, there is a new option "Boot Sector (MBR / GPT) Recovery Policy"
What is this option for ?
Sorry for my english 😄

G75rog
Level 10
On my Apex it disabled the first OS drive on the HyperX16 card in slot 1.
Booting from the secondary OS drive on the HYperX16 I found it also disabled the 10GB Intel Nic in slot 4.
Reverted to previous bios in order to recover the system.

tistou77
Level 13
Ok, too bad...

For the missing driver, it would be the "ACPI Wake Alarm" (new device, for ???)
Sorry for my english 😄

Andy1
Level 7
Has anyone else noticed changes in how speedstep and turbo boost work? With firmware optimized defaults loaded windows task manager reports a constant 3.00 GHz speed no matter what the processor load. HWInfo64 however, shows that it seems to be working ok. also, in control panel > power options > CPU Power management i only have the cooling policy option and not the 2 other options to change min and max percentages as before. (bios 0802)

My system by the way is 9980xe with Rampage 6 Extreme Omega 64gb corsair LPX and windows 10 pro 1909.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
At least since installing 3006 (but maybe before that, I'm not absolutely certain its only since 3006) with my rig Windows power setting set at Power Saver and the BIOS settings all at default (no overclocking at all) the CPU clock speeds (and also temperatures) are very high. At idle the cores are flying at 4100 MHz with no windows open with the CPU core temperatures very high and reaching in the 90s plus range with very basic tasks. At idle unless the fans are blasting at full the temperatures are nuts. There is no dust at all in the system, and it runs a water cooler, a Ryujin in fact. A virus scan done by a pro company found no virus, nor did any other virus scans. Task Manager shows nothing is using the CPU in any way a lot at all.

Can anyone help with this issue? I have powered the rig down until I know how to tackle this. This kind of thing can cook your components.

After the 3006bios was updated, the speed dropped a lot(R6EO 9980xe )

Super Gnome wrote:
At least since installing 3006 (but maybe before that, I'm not absolutely certain its only since 3006) with my rig Windows power setting set at Power Saver and the BIOS settings all at default (no overclocking at all) the CPU clock speeds (and also temperatures) are very high. At idle the cores are flying at 4100 MHz with no windows open with the CPU core temperatures very high and reaching in the 90s plus range with very basic tasks. At idle unless the fans are blasting at full the temperatures are nuts. There is no dust at all in the system, and it runs a water cooler, a Ryujin in fact. A virus scan done by a pro company found no virus, nor did any other virus scans. Task Manager shows nothing is using the CPU in any way a lot at all.

Can anyone help with this issue? I have powered the rig down until I know how to tackle this. This kind of thing can cook your components.

Looks like you're having the same problems I am. In HWInfo64 i noticed the cores are clocked near or above 4 GHz despite no/little cpu load. Also according to HWinfo the idle power consumption is 35 watts at its lowest, compared to 17 watts on bios v0802. Luckily i only flash one of the two bios's at a time so i could keep my previous setup. So i've just switched back to the alternate bios (bios 2 in my case). I don't know what Asus has done but this bios isn't as good as the previous versions and am surprised it has been released.

Andy wrote:
Looks like you're having the same problems I am. In HWInfo64 i noticed the cores are clocked near or above 4 GHz despite no/little cpu load. Also according to HWinfo the idle power consumption is 35 watts at its lowest, compared to 17 watts on bios v0802. Luckily i only flash one of the two bios's at a time so i could keep my previous setup. So i've just switched back to the alternate bios (bios 2 in my case). I don't know what Asus has done but this bios isn't as good as the previous versions and am surprised it has been released.

You are the third person to notice this, lucky for you. HWMonitor does not show any temperature situation when not looking at the core temperatures. I'm thinking and wondering about how many people have downloaded this BIOS and are using it without any idea of the problem. They may be like me thinking all is well until they notice something is up--which, I fear and wonder might be when their box bursts into flames or their computers simply shut down automatically--or after their CPU has been half cooked and suffered a load of stress that will burn it out. My Ryujin LED (when working properly--which is every second day or so, lol) was showing normal CPU temperatures. The fans were not kicking in at all to reduce the core temperatures. This, on an aside from the main issue, is also a sham, if you ask me.

Anyhow, it is going to be interesting to see if, how, and when Asus gets out a fix. My computer was getting blue screens prior to this new BIOS, and I constantly update my software, under tax it to no end, clean the dust out weekly, etc etc. Hence I've wondered if this new BIOS might have been rushed out because of some other issue with a Windows update or some recent security related development.

Anyhow, its a good thing you noticed.

Edit: You say you only flash one of the two BIOSes at at time. Hmm, I had no idea you could do that, and wonder about this. Do all Asus motherboards allow this? And if so, is there an easy way to go back to your previous BIOS without first having to flash again with the older software?

Rob_W_
Level 12
@Super Gnome
All boards with twin bios chips you can flash separately,
My M8E and R6E also the Omega has two bios so you can leave one as is and switch to the other and flash it with new bios, if new bios causes problems then you can just press the bios button and revert to original bios ( bios 1 and bios 2) this is the practice I’ve adopted for safety.