cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU usage by LightingService.exe

cablebox
Level 7
It seems to be a long existed issue since Aura software.

When Aura Sync light effect is set to anything except the constant effect (even if the motherboard is the only Aura device), the LightingService.exe will always occupy two CPU threads at 70%~90% usage.

As soon as this LightingService.exe thread was kill, or the light effect has been set to constant effect or turned off, the CPU usage occupied by LightingService.exe will drop to 0%.

As a result, there are two CPU cores will hit 55°c at idle even in winter with a 360mm AIO cooler, and almost 60°c in summer, not to mention that there will be absolutely performance impact.

I understand that the light effect requires some CPU resources to calculate, but it's still ridiculous to occupy almost all two threads resources on a 4.5GHz 7980XE.

Is there any workaround for this issue?
6 REPLIES 6

Mappi75
Level 8
Hi 7980XE owner here...

..not really for your problem: but i delid my cpu

with aida64 stresstest 1 1/2 hours the two hotest core were at 86 degrees,
after delid it was only at 59 degrees - thats 27 degrees less - that was in summer with 30 degrees room temperature.

Mappi75 wrote:
Hi 7980XE owner here...

..not really for your problem: but i delid my cpu

with aida64 stresstest 1 1/2 hours the two hotest core were at 86 degrees,
after delid it was only at 59 degrees - thats 27 degrees less - that was in summer with 30 degrees room temperature.

It was a delid one already.

Nonny
Level 10
Hello ,
I had a simular problem , not the same but it looks like it could be somhowe the same , in my case was that the LightingService.exe didnt work well with the corsair icue serviice .... , there was a little tutorial to make the icue service dominant and lightingservice depending on icue , the resold was that icue start first and when the service is startet then lighting starts secound , this fixes my problem , i have AIO Capellix 360 , if you have also this type of AIO maybe this could be also the problem what i had ... IF you have maybe the Corsair AIO then maybe this tutorial could help : https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/169652-tutorial-how-to-solve-icue-and-asus-aura-conflicts/
Greetings

Nonny wrote:
Hello ,
I had a simular problem , not the same but it looks like it could be somhowe the same , in my case was that the LightingService.exe didnt work well with the corsair icue serviice .... , there was a little tutorial to make the icue service dominant and lightingservice depending on icue , the resold was that icue start first and when the service is startet then lighting starts secound , this fixes my problem , i have AIO Capellix 360 , if you have also this type of AIO maybe this could be also the problem what i had ... IF you have maybe the Corsair AIO then maybe this tutorial could help : https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/169652-tutorial-how-to-solve-icue-and-asus-aura-conflicts/
Greetings

Thanks for your reply. But the only light control software in my PC is the Armoury Crate. I use ROG Ryujin 360 AIO cooler, G-Skill Trident Z RGB controlled by Aura.

The problem existed since the first day I had my RVIE mb.

Nonny
Level 10
Hello cablebox,

sorry to answer so late , and that i cant help here 😞 , ok in this case i dont know , but it sounds like there are some background services biting each other , but if all is from asus the software shold work well together , maybe ist a securety software what causes this problem :confused: .
like i say i belive there are some services in the background at war , maybe try to disable for exaple the antivirus software Temporarly , just to see how the system reacts , if its good then , put the lightnigservice.exe in the antivirus exclude list , so the antivirus leave this service untouched.
if this not help next would be firewall , this programms have also a system control part , and should have also a exclude list.
I would disconect the internet when testing with securety software , just in case you never know 🙂 .

maybe this can help to find the guity program or service what causes the problem
With friendly greetings
Nonny

Asryan
Level 10

I have the same issue since recently.

When i kill the process the RGB stays on though (I use static). Is there a way to kill the process after boot to keep the rgb on?.