cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMOS battery type for Rampage 6 Extreme?

GEEKCPA
Level 8
I started a build about 4-5 years ago with a 7900X on a Rampage VI Extreme, but I let it sit without use for several years. Now I think my CMOS battery is dead as I get a prompt to press F1 and reset AHCI or RAID in the BIOS. I get this prompt only if I have previously turned off the power to the MB, it boots fine if I leave the power to the MB on at the PSU switch.

What type of battery is used in the Rampage 6? I've scoured the manual and find nothing specifying which battery to use. Worst part of all this is I have to drain the coolant from my system and disconnect some fitting to remove the video cards to access the battery under the 2nd video card. (two 1080Ti's is SLI)

Any help you can give me is appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Jnanislore
Level 9
I'm not sure about CMOS replacement as I've never needed one, but I'd take the one you have to a computer repair shop and ask for advice. They'll probably just sell you a replacement if they have one, and if not tell you what you need, free of charge.

world
Most motherboards use a CR2032 battery for CMOS battery, and it should say right on the battery itself what type of button battery it is.

[EDIT]
Looks like it's a CR2032 for Rampage VI.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120609-OMG-WHO-DESIGN-ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME-CMOS-Battery-...

DarvinAtkeson
Level 7
It should be a CR2032 for just about any Motherboard ever built.

And YES, if you are not going to use the motherboard, take out the battery or it will drain it keeping BIOS settings till the battery dies. They can last over 10 years if they are not in the board.

GEEKCPA
Level 8
My problem just got worse. I had to remove the MB completely, because ASUS engineers attached the armor covering to the mother board with screws that can only be accessed from the backside, and my case is not open on that part of the mother board. Major pain. Finally got the armor covers off and I find the CMOS battery is completely different from anything I've ever seen. The battery is wrapped in a black vinyl with text on the outside that says "79A KTS 2032 3.0V" It has two wires attached to the battery and a micro two pin connector to the motherboard. I can't get the battery out as the vinyl covers the entire circumference of the battery casing. I can't find the typical latch release one would normally find on a CMOS battery to release it from the housing. Why does this battery have a cable attached to the MB? Is it a rechargeable battery? If so, why is it displaying all the symptoms of a dead battery?

Here's a pic (hope it displays): Can't get pic to display--it uploads but will not transfer image to the message.

Murph_9000
Level 14
That's just a normal CR2032, but unfortunately one of the times they soldered/welded wires to it and shrink wrapped it, instead of just using the normal battery holder. It's not rechargeable. There are replacements for this annoying variant of the CR2032, but far more difficult to come by than the standard battery which you can pick up with your groceries. You could try ASUS support to see if they can sell you a replacement, or try Ebay or Amazon.

N.B. The polarity matters, ensure that any replacement is wired the same way (positive & negative). This is also a problem that doesn't really exist with a normal battery holder.

DJLTY
Level 7

Hello 🙃 same issue here

Any luck finding anything? I have an R6E and as I'm doing some major maintenance I figured I'd replace the CMOS since it's been over 5 years. My computer has spent many many months unpowered, and has been acting a bit funny on boot and having more crashes & stability issues lately (which is saying something). 

I found this site that sells CR 2032s with pos/neg molex connector on it, no idea if it would work or if it's any good? ; https://www.xump.com/science/CR2032-CMOS-Molex-51021-0200-B.cfm

Is the battery in the board literally just a standard CR2032 with wires soldered onto a molex connector? Worst comes to worst I could just do that to a new regular CR2032 if that's possible I suppose. Any assistance, advice, help, or anything else would be great 🙂

Thanks 

I had used this one with a customer who has the same computer https://rometechbatteries.com/rtc-cmos-battery-for-asus-rampage-vi-extreme-motherboard/ .

This was a massive help! Picked up a few since they're so hard to find. Hope it works, they seem to be a perfect replacement. 

Greatly appreciated, thank you very, very much 🙂🙃🙂

restsugavan
Level 13

USE  CR2032 Battery for your R6E.USE CR2032 Battery for your R6E.

Buy the new CR2032 battery for your RIG.

Need to re-assemble ROG ARMOUR first.Need to re-assemble ROG ARMOUR first.

De-assemble your R6E ROG ARMOUR and it backplate first.

Remove R6E backplate before uncover ROG ARMOURRemove R6E backplate before uncover ROG ARMOUR

Do not forget remove ROG LED backplate before continue. 

Lift up ROG ARMOUR carefully. Replace the dead battery with the new one.Lift up ROG ARMOUR carefully. Replace the dead battery with the new one.

Lift up R6E ROG ARMOUR carefully. Then you'll find the CMOS battery placement. Carefully remove it then swap the new one.

Sealed the new battery carefully.Sealed the new battery carefully.

Make sure your new CR2032 sealed before re-assemble your RIG.

Re-assemble your rigs then enjoy.Re-assemble your rigs then enjoy.

Power on your rig then enjoy.

Power on your rig enter BIOS to setup.Power on your rig enter BIOS to setup.

Setup BIOS once , setting the correct date and time , setting your overclock profile. Enjoy.

W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X