Did you mean: 

Looking for the Rogue faulty part

zoran
Level 9
Maximus iv gene z gen3
1 2500k
Corsair 650w
GTX 780

Recently my PC went crazy and unable to hold and sort of overclock. Blue screens, powering down and freezes etc, so I was pretty sure it was the PSU and bought a new one and that solved a lot of issues but Im still unable to Overclock. Temps are good, all drivers and Bios up to date so there must be something else going on.

I think its time to replace either the CPU or the Mobo. But which one first? Any advice appreciated
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Zoran

If you're going to replace both the motherboard and cpu why not just upgrade to a z170 board and 6600k or 6700k, all you'd need is a ddr4 ram kit and you can get a 16GB ddr4 3200MHz kit at newegg for under 100 dollars.

Would hate to see you put money into an older system especially when it's not an upgrade.

What's your budget?

zoran
Level 9
Yes you are right. If it was the mobo thats faulty then I would do a full upgrade along the lines you suggested above but if it was the CPU I would keep the system a bit longer . Im going to research costing of the items you mentioned. It may have to wait a few months though for finances to shape up

zoran
Level 9
Thanks a lot Nate , that looks very affordable! Time ditch my ageing system 🙂