cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-End gaming computers and design choices – a lament from a woman

aufisch
Level 7
The following post reflects the subjective opinion of the author and is not meant to be a flaming post.

When it comes to high-end gaming computers and design, being a woman sucks….. big time!
Why, oh why, do I ask myself, is the design of all high-end gaming rigs streamlined towards boys/men in the midst of their puberty?

It’s similar to modern sports-cars. And I am not speaking about the sleek and classy Aston-Martin type sports-car, but about the “modded to the death” Honda-Civic type street racing cars; huge spoilers, a broad heck, big-tires and flaaaaaaames.
For countless of years now, whenever one of my computers dies and I am looking for a new one, I have to decide between the computer with the best specs and the aforementioned design-choices or a more stylish one with second rate specs. Why??

I understand the need for a big vent in a gaming computer, but does it really have to look like a bull-bar? And as a gamer who has suffered from gaming-rage like any other gamer out there, I am all for a robust design (at least for the keyboard or the notebook), but does it always have to be in that edgy/sharp lined/blocky way?

Please, computer manufacturers (and yes, ASUS you are one of the worst in this respect) – There is a market for top-spec computers without the over-the-top design you currently think is the only way to go. Read the comments in online-shops (especially the ones for the more stylish but less powerful multi-media versions. Many people (most of them written by men!) mention that they choose these lower spec computers over the dedicated gaming rigs just because of their more sophisticated design).

I know it is too late now. My old notebook is dying and I will yet again not get the computer I really want. I also have to admit; after going for a non ROG-rig twice now (all because of your design-choices), I ordered a G752VY-GC351T this time around (and this ONLY because it doesn’t have “Republic of gamers” written on it like some of the previous versions).
Now I just have to hope that someone from ASUS actually reads this and in a couple of years, when I am in need of a new rig I am not being forced to decide between a classy design and top-notch specs. 😉 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

quark54
Level 8
Have to agree with you, and it's not just you ladies that suffer.

As someone in their 50's, the last thing I want parked under my desk is something that looks like it fell from the belly of the mother ship portrayed in the movie Independence day.

Come to think of it, even as a youngster I preferred simplistic design. Just take a look at some of the monstrosities the enclosure manufactures churn out. NZXT are a prime example, yes they may have lots of fans, enough to cool a supernova, but they are so ugly it defies belief. If they can add an extra angle, an extra facet, or some other unnecessary design element you can guarantee they'll do it.

The concept of minimalism is lost on these people. Designers they are not.

Thankfully, sensible, classy but minimalist PC enclosures are still around. I currently own a Lian Li X510. Gorgeous understated design.

PC enclosure manufacturers need to understand that not everyone is 15 years old, or an eccentric individual that requires an enclosure that looks like Darth Vader's helmet.

quark54 wrote:
Thankfully, sensible, classy but minimalist PC enclosures are still around. I currently own a Lian Li X510. Gorgeous understated design.

Yes, building your own PC is the currently the only way to get a good looking top-specs machine. I used to do this regularly years ago (oh Win98-SE and its IRQ-dependencies.....). But nowadays I don't use desktop PC's anymore, so I am stuck with the manufacturers design choices.

quark54
Level 8
I know it is too late now. My old notebook is dying and I will yet again not get the computer I really want.

Build your own desktop. Easier than you think.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Asus Zenbook will be your choice in terms of design. Most of them have the same hardware as the gaming ones (Zenbook UX501 is basically the ROG501 without the "bling" from gaming. The N551 is also the same as the G551 for example).

But yes, you are true, I as photographer wanted a notebook that was most design oriented without over the top gaming looks.

So I had gone to the G551JW. It still have some gaming stuff (the illuminated ROG logo on the back and the red backlight keyboard) but it's less design over the top that the rest of the line up. And the Black and Red goes well with my website and logo colours!:D

Black Phoenix wrote:
Asus Zenbook will be your choice in terms of design.

Yea I looked at the ZEN-books. They are not bad in specs, but are not really in the same league as the top-specs notebooks. Which is exactly my problem. The nice looking ones are just that notch behind in specs.

I admit it; I want it all. 😄

I agree with quark54 build your own custom machine! It's not that hard and you will have a blast picking out your own parts. Good Luck.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Well the ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW is exactly the same as the Asus ROG G501VW.

Other choices: Asus N551VW

The problem really is that most of the people that like design grade notebooks are not Game fanatics, mostly buy for the looks and for work (See the MacBook, even the more top of the spec. It's just a definition of yourself).

So the aggressive design is left to the ones that game mainly. To be realistic, if Asus launched a notebook with the same specs as the GX700 but in the ZenBook line, how much people would buy? the Watercooling unit could also be retrofitted as a docking station but still not most of the people wouldn't buy it because really what matters is the design, not the performance.

It's sad, yes but it's the market demographics, and actually what matters is aggressive designs with top of the line equipment.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Not really sure how well this will work, but as far as notebooks go, there are notebook 'skins' out there that you can get that can change the outward appearance of your notebook some although many of them may be even 'louder' than the notebook already is.
Hopefully there are some 'skins' out there that will suit different tastes though (I remember one ROG member even made/installed their own custom notebook skin).

They may not be easily installed on all the ASUS notebook models though and could take some work as well.

Probably not the greatest idea, and wonder how much of an affect they will have on heat and cooling, but have never tried it myself.

I myself do like the look of some of the cooler modded cases but personally mine is a normal system with modest specs. that said, companies sell what the people want and it seems the majority of guys like the edgy showy systems but I don't think they would compromise on power. one of my old bosses called it "shiny metal fever" wanting the newest and most powerful equipment just for those reasons.