cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Mic input & realtek driver problem on my new built pc

FD_Stalker
Level 7
I have this new build windows 10 pc with really annoying mic input problem. My motherboard is ASUS ROG STRIX z590-e gaming wifi, after I built up my pc I found my headset mic input was really really low, none can hear me, I have to yell to make the bar move in mic test and there was no Microphone boost option in taskbar Sound -> Recording -> Properties -> Levels. The driver in device manager shows "Realtek USB 2.0" or something.

After struggle I manage to found the seemly latest driver in motherboard's website, Realtek_Audio_Driver_V6.3.9600.2276_WIN10_64-bit (published on 2021/01/27). The driver in device manager shows "Realtek USB Audio" It has the microphone boost option which allowed me to boost my input about 20 to 30db, but it came with new issue: I have horrible echo in steam mic test (mic input capture my headset output) and Realtek audio manager was never installed(not in control panel or program file) -- I cannot use audio manager to possibly fix the echo issue.

I followed some india guy's video in youtube and it leads me to Staiton Drivers website to download seemly latest driver "Realtek High Definition Audio (HDA) Version R2.8x (9132.1) WHQL". After erasing my audio driver I install that driver... and that usb 2.0 is back without microphone boost again. Of course, the promised "Realtek HD audio manager" is still missing.

So now I'm stuck, I installed the asus version back and don't know what to do. Do I have to try updating BIOS(current 0232), or figure it out "Realtek High Definition Audio (HDA) Version R2.8x (9132.1) WHQL" driver and "UAD/HDA"?
4 REPLIES 4

GreatBeast666
Level 7
same issue. brand new z590-e. Fresh windows10 install. onboard line-in microphone barely picks up sound, even at +30 boost & 100 sensitivity. The mic 'activity' bar (in sound settings) barely moves.

I've tried updating the bios, installing all available chipset + other packages, adding/removing the device, uninstalling drivers, you name it.
Booting into linux (where proprietary driver issues shouldn't be an issue), the mic sensitivity is the same -- very very weak, barely functional.

Hardware flaw? I really hope I don't have to RMA this thing....

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (MB | Intel 5xx & AMD TRX40)

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Note : If that doesn't fix or reduce your issue, follow your CLEANUP process then install/use the drivers package from your motherboard support page then open a ticket with ASUS Support (and/or you can post in ROG Care section : ROG Care).

GreatBeast666
Level 7
Ok, i've run through that process (uninstall everything mentioned & run suggested install).

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any improvement to the 'weak' microphone issue.

GreatBeast666 wrote:
Ok, i've run through that process (uninstall everything mentioned & run suggested install).

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any improvement to the 'weak' microphone issue.

This recent driver eliminated my mic echo, it's all good for me now.

However weak mic was "fixed" before this latest driver, by "re-introducing" the Microphone boost option in taskbar sound -> Recording -> Microphone Properties -> Levels, so if you have weak mic, do that or you can use the Realtek Audio Console. The goal is to boost your mic 20 to 30 db