cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU temperature

Links
Level 7
Hi,
A strange CPU behavior has appeared yesterday.
No matter, what I do, it rapidly heats up, and cools down.

In idle it's 30c and stable.
E.g I lauch browser - temp goes up to 50 or even more. (monitoring in aida64 and mobo onboard display), after the browser has loaded (1-2sec) the CPU goes back to 30c very fast. CPU fan rpm goes up and down, while the CPU temp jumps.

I click any link, open any document/programm (heavier than notepad or paint) and cpu temp jumps 30-55 and back.
In BIOS the fan is set to quiete mode.

CPU cooler attached well. (I think the temp wouldn't be 30 in idle if the cooler was loose).

Does anyone have any ideas?
63 REPLIES 63

Sheltem
Level 9
This would sound like the (possibly OC) Turbo Boost is being activated, and it typically heavily ramps up voltage, in specific cases (G752VS had such a Turbo Gear configuration for some time) from 0.67 to 1.4+, and anything around 1.4 V heats up the CPU very quickly and to very high temperatures, unless the fan is locked at max RPM or custom cooling solutions are used. Perhaps that is the case here.
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

I didn't OC very much, just turned the XMP memory profile on.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90669-Maximus-IX-Hero-cpu-temp-spikes-and-fan-cycling&high...

This looks very much my case. Doesn't look like there is any solution.

Nate152

IX formula (latest bios) and i7 7700k @ 4.6 with that XMP profile

Zka17
Level 16
If you have Aida, then check what happens with the CPU clock and voltages while you are seeing those temp spikes...

Will do, when get home.
From what i have seen, looks like temp i rising together with cpu load.
No delay, cpu load rises to ~15% and temp instantly to 45c.
Load drops - instant cooling down to 30c.

While i was updating the bios temp was stable.

Nate152
It's normal what you're experiencing and temps are fine, there's really nothing to be concerned with.

If you want temps lower set a lower cpu voltage.

For the 7700k max safe temp is 64c.

Nate152 wrote:
It's normal what you're experiencing and temps are fine, there's really nothing to be concerned with.

Yes, that is normal! If the power saving functions are on, then you will definitely see these fluctuations...

However, when you see so high spikes of temps even at little CPU ramp ups - then your cooler is not handling it... I mean, it handles the idle temps (hence you have 30C), but it is not effective enough to immediately dissipate any excess...

The best is to lower your voltages as much as you can... even if that means to downclock - or get a better cooler...

Nate152
One thing I've noticed is the 7700k seems to run a little warmer than the 6700k.

Tweaktown did some testing and found the same thing.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55219/7700k-vs-6700k-much-hotter-barely-faster/index.html

My 7700k can do 5.0GHz at 1.31v which isn't that much and temps are warmer than my 6700k.