cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Notebook: How To migrate from old HHD to a new SSD? Anyone Help?

AlexySK
Level 8
Hello,
I bought a new SSD 256 GB Disk for my ASUS Notebook A55VJ and I am trying to move the old content of the new.
Old Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital (Of wich only 180 Gb are occupied)
New Hard Drive: SSD 256 Gb Western digital

I would like to make an exact copy of the old drive with the hidden partition but seem impossible.
The partition I would like to copy are:
*:SYSTEM (EFI SYSTEM PARTITION) 300 NB
*:Recovery (Recovery Partition) 600 MB
*: Reserved Partition 128MB
C: OS (Data Partition) 52 GB
*:Restore (Recovery Partition)

I tried to use several Software to clone the old HDD disk to the new SSD disk but the hidden partition of the had disk are cloned in a wrong way,
in the old HDD inside Windows 10 I can see only C: and I can see the hidden Partitions only with a partition tool.

If I swap the New Cloned SSD Hard Disk on the SATA connector of my notebook all the "hidden" partitions are now visible in Windows 10 in form of new drives and now I have A:, B:, C: etc.
The computer boot correctly only once, but if I try to press F9 to try to see if the hidden partitions are correctly working, I get a blue screen and The notebook Wont start anymore.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Last time I migrated HDD to SSD the free version of Macrium Reflect worked. Note that the automatic partition remapping didn't work though and threw an error because the new disk was smaller. In the migration mapping tool I had to manually copy the partitions in order and manually resize them to make room for the next partition. Once they all fit it was one batch process and the copy was successful.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Last time I migrated HDD to SSD the free version of Macrium Reflect worked. Note that the automatic partition remapping didn't work though and threw an error because the new disk was smaller. In the migration mapping tool I had to manually copy the partitions in order and manually resize them to make room for the next partition. Once they all fit it was one batch process and the copy was successful.

Could you please describe the steps to do it?
I am a newbie and I need some help.
It will be alot appreciated
Thank you very much

xeromist
It has been a while since I did it but this blurb on Macrium's site sounds about right. It's pretty straightforward but I just wanted to caution you to drag the partitions individually (like this says). When I let the tool try to map all of the partitions automatically it threw an error and I didn't immediately understand why.

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/conversions/convert_to_a_solid_state_disk.htm
To clone to the partitioned SSD
In Macrium Reflect, click the Backup tab.

Click the disk you want to clone.
Links appears below the selected disk.

Click Clone this disk.
The Clone dialog appears with the source disk selected.

In the target disk area, click Select a disk to clone to and select the SSD disk.

Caution: To create a working clone, you must clone all the system partitions. System partitions are required for the operating system to boot successfully. Macrium Reflect indicates system partitions by displaying the operating system logo, for example the Windows flag, in the top left corner of the partition on the partition diagram.

Drag and drop the source partitions to the target disk.

Optionally, for each target partition, change the partition properties: click Cloned partition properties.

On the Partition Properties dialog you can change the drive letter, partition type, and partition size. Click the Maximum, Minimum and Original size buttons to automatically adjust the partition size, or, manually set the partition size and free space.

Note: The assigned drive letter is for the current Windows session. If you are cloning a Windows system disk then the letter chosen here is not used when booting into the cloned disk.

Click Clone.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…