cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) takes over 3 minutes to boot to Windows 10

conticrative
Level 7
I just finished building a new desktop using principally the following:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Seagate FIRECUDA 510 1TB
64GB - Corsair 2x32GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX

There are a couple of things that leave me a bit baffled. This is going to be about the interminable amount of time it takes for the computer to arrive at the point where it loads windows 10 and allows me to login. After that, it's a speed demon, but upon a cold start this is what I see:

Press start - Black screen stays black for 22 seconds (22ss total)
After that The first BIOS screen becomes visible for 115 seconds (1:38ss total)
(The above is where it shows the logo and the "press F2 or Alt)
3. Next it loads a black screen with a larger graphic and no text for another 1:30ss (3:02 total)

Essentially, before I can see the windows login screen I have to watch either a black screen or the BIOS screen for about 3 minutes.

This doesn't seem normal to me. Someone suggested I didn't install Windows 10 properly, but I followed instructions I found on a forum and that I used with other builds.
Also, Windows 10 comes into play very late in the bootup process.
Is there anything I might need to configure in the BIOS to reduce the boot up times?
6 REPLIES 6

XIIIIX
Level 7
How did you configure the boot-disk?
And any other disks in use?
Tried it with 2x 8gB or 2x 16gB mem-kit?

I don`t have experience with 2x 32gB.

115 secs is a long time for the first boot-screen.
Seems hardware related to me.
XII

I installed Windows 10 while only the Seagate FIRECUDA 510 1TB was on the board, no additional drives.
Later I attached 3 internal 4GB drive and one 4GB external.

However, even the first few booths, when I was installing basic programs on Cdrive were taking very long. At the time I was just so glad that finally I had windows working, I didn't mind the long boot times (I tried installing windows 4 times then discovered I had to disable the WiFi driver for the installation to proceed. A post-it note on the MOBO would have been nice).

I should note that once the windows login shows up, everything works as I'd expect. It just takes forever to get there.
I also invested almost a week reconfiguring all my work programs (Adobe, MS Office, various cloud drives) and my music programs (DAW, VST) and the idea of starting from scratch without an assurance that my boot time will get better is not very attractive.

When I noticed the long boot time before I connected the storage drives I figured that I'd be able to reduce it by tinkering with the BIOS, but it looks like everything is set up as it should.

I should add that if I press [del] or F2 to gain access to BIOS, that too takes an eternity. Possibly longer than booting into Windows. I haven't timed it, but I did go downstairs to brew coffee, came back and I was still staring at the BIOS screen before it finally showed the BIOS.

Should I maybe put in a ticket with ASUS?

raju2529
Level 7
update the latest bios firmware if available .
reset the bios settings to default
enable uefi mode , secure boot
enable fast boot in bios.
disable unwanted features in bios
keep the bootdevice as harddisk or ssd with windows boot manager , disable other boot device
save and exit the bios
then boot the windows into safemode ,
go to startup items in taskmanager , disable all items
go to windows registry delete run objects under key, to do these use Ccleaner software.
go to storage sense settings delete existing waste items .
delete all existing previous system restore points , keep current one

record a video through mobilephone , share the video to google drive , thne share the link
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Thank you. Those are very precise instructions.

I should add that I came across a post from someone with a similar issue and in their case it was their CD drive that was faulty. Mine worked fine before I rebuilt the computer, but I tested it. It didn't work.
So I shut down, unhooked the CD drive and restarted.
I shaved one full minutes from the BIOS boot up. Now it takes about 2 minutes, which is still an eternity but better.

Over the weekend I'll go check on the BIOS and see what else I can optimize following your list.

Thank you.

PS: I should add that my BIOS is already set to "Fast boot" and UEFI mode is active. I think secure boot is too.
The only thing I did when I built the computer was to deactivate the Intel WiFi driver because of a known incompatibility (known to ASUS but I had to dig and install windows 4 times) and I turned on Virtualization. My boot times were not affected by the latter. It was slow before, it remained slow.
I also think my boot device is is my SSD. I set it up so I have to go to bootmanager if I need to boot off a USB (I always set it up that way), but I am unsure about the other items so I'll go over them.

I feel your pain. Have been trying to get Asus to help me with this and I have now go it down to 22 seconds from 2mins boot time, but it's still bloody long compared to my previous motherboard and Intel processor of 5 seconds boot time from POST.
What dropped the times immensely was the Secure Boot Option when reinstalling Windows.
Make yourself a bootable flash drive, default the bios and change to Secure Boot, disable CSM, save, and reinstall Windows.
Also, mouse drivers are appalling when using the BIOS, use your keyboard instead.

Asus does not believe it's their board. I believe the board isn't optimised for the Ryzen CPU.

Regards
Navin

conticrative wrote:
Thank you. Those are very precise instructions.

I should add that I came across a post from someone with a similar issue and in their case it was their CD drive that was faulty. Mine worked fine before I rebuilt the computer, but I tested it. It didn't work.
So I shut down, unhooked the CD drive and restarted.
I shaved one full minutes from the BIOS boot up. Now it takes about 2 minutes, which is still an eternity but better.

Over the weekend I'll go check on the BIOS and see what else I can optimize following your list.

Thank you.

PS: I should add that my BIOS is already set to "Fast boot" and UEFI mode is active. I think secure boot is too.
The only thing I did when I built the computer was to deactivate the Intel WiFi driver because of a known incompatibility (known to ASUS but I had to dig and install windows 4 times) and I turned on Virtualization. My boot times were not affected by the latter. It was slow before, it remained slow.
I also think my boot device is is my SSD. I set it up so I have to go to bootmanager if I need to boot off a USB (I always set it up that way), but I am unsure about the other items so I'll go over them.

pixelscol
Level 7
conticrative wrote:
I just finished building a new desktop using principally the following:

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Seagate FIRECUDA 510 1TB
64GB - Corsair 2x32GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX

There are a couple of things that leave me a bit baffled. This is going to be about the interminable amount of time it takes for the computer to arrive at the point where it loads windows 10 and allows me to login. After that, it's a speed demon, but upon a cold start this is what I see:

Press start - Black screen stays black for 22 seconds (22ss total)
After that The first BIOS screen becomes visible for 115 seconds (1:38ss total)
(The above is where it shows the logo and the "press F2 or Alt)
3. Next it loads a black screen with a larger graphic and no text for another 1:30ss (3:02 total)

Essentially, before I can see the windows login screen I have to watch either a black screen or the BIOS screen for about 3 minutes.

This doesn't seem normal to me. Someone suggested I didn't install Windows 10 properly, but I followed instructions I found on a forum and that I used with other builds.
Also, Windows 10 comes into play very late in the bootup process.
Is there anything I might need to configure in the BIOS to reduce the boot up times?

This is almost like looking into a mirror. New build today:

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Western Digital SN750 500GB
32GB - Corsair 2x16GB 3600MHz Vengeance LPX
RTX 2070 Super

Been pulling my hair out as I am getting the exact same as you. Average of 3 minutes to boot into Windows 10 from a clean windows install.

My previous build was a Ryzen 1800X and a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K5 and my boot time was around 20 seconds. So it is gutting to have better hardware and a vastly slower boot time 😞

I'm going to try some of the things I've seen suggested. I've installed a few things, but I'm only a day in, so it might be worth me just trying what Navin has suggested with a clean install and secure boot.