cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero QCODE 53 NO BOOT ?

USERMAC
Level 9
For some reason I am getting QCODE 53 and cannot boot into windows or load into the bios. It does not do this all the time, but it is frequent, and it usually happens when I restart the computer.
I have tested the memory and it passes. I have used this memory on a Z690 hero before this Z790 board and did not get this issue, so I am positive the issue is with the motherboard.

The memory I am using F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS nothing special 6000MHz purchased 2021 this was on the QVL list for the Z690 Hero, so I am assuming it is same on the Z790 Hero QVL list too.

I get this issue regardless of what setting I use XMP on and off also tried MCE disabled intel rated settings, but the problem still persists

Is this a known issue?

Bios version 0502
F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS
29 REPLIES 29

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
53 is a memory initialization error. Check for correct DIMM insertion and ensure the CPU cooler is not overtightened.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
53 is a memory initialization error. Check for correct DIMM insertion and ensure the CPU cooler is not overtightened.

I have reinserted the ram until I hear a Click now that you say to check if the CPU cooler overtightened if it is that will that of done any damage? worried now

USERMAC
Level 9
Still having this code popping up I have reinstalled the CPU cooler and memory multiple times. Have installed another set of memory but still the issue persists.
I am getting all sorts of odd issue like GPU not being recognised showing as Microsoft basic display adaptor and I am unable to instal Nvidia driver because it is not being recognised. Every time I try to install a fresh copy of windows 11 and it gets to the part where it wants to get the important updates and wants to connect to the internet it is all greyed out and no network is being detected even with an ethernet cable attached I had to do command prompt OOBE\BYPASSNRO .
I am in windows now, but it is only a matter of time till this code 53 pops up again.

USERMAC
Level 9
What do now I think I have tested everything possible. I do not believe my memory is faulty I think the motherboards Bios is bad as these sticks work on my Z690 Hero and do not give me this issue. The fact that these sticks are on the QVL List makes me think Asus has not properly tested these particular set of sticks as the only reason I can think of why I am getting Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed. If they work on My older board then Asus needs to fix because otherwise, they should not be on the list. Also, I am only getting the issue at random when I restart pc never on a cold boot and only when XMP Is enabled.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi USERMAC,
Do you mean the issue only occur XMP is enabled or the issue is also there on bios 0502 with bios all default settings(no OC/no XMP)?
Does it occur every time you restart from OS or also occur from bios?
Does it also occur when only one ram stick in DIMM_A2 slot?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi USERMAC,
Do you mean the issue only occur XMP is enabled or the issue is also there on bios 0502 with bios all default settings(no OC/no XMP)?
Does it occur every time you restart from OS or also occur from bios?
Does it also occur when only one ram stick in DIMM_A2 slot?
Thank you.

Hello STARRAIN@ROG

I have replaced this Z790 Hero with another Z790 Hero and that too is having this QCODE 53 error. I was surprised to see the error this time round because I got this error with MCE Disabled and every other setting set to auto so no overclocks. I only see this error when I restart, and it is almost every time this error never happens on a cold boot.
I used this 13900K before with a Z690 Hero and never had any issue at all, I could enable XMP and use ai overclocking no problems I have since sold that board so can't go back to it.

Some other trouble shooting steps that I have tried are by going into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here I set the ERP Ready to Enabled S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and testes but the issue still persists

I have re sat the cooler and even used the EK Loop torque screwdriver -0.6Nm to get a perfect even distribution of pressure. I have only used this tool once which was today just to rule out if I have any over tightening issue.
I have tried new bios 0703
I am out of ideas what next to do.

Erwin05
Level 10
similar problem.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127918-Asus-Z690-APEX-Q-code-53-when-restarting-but-never-...

https://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=53
Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed

Your memory isnt supported for your MB Z760 HERO its not on the QVL from gskill this is your problem.

You need to by a new set of memory in the QVL from G.skill.
https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=1&cls=1529635169&manufacturer=1524725352&chipset=1665025843...
Or the Asus QVL list.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

Erwin05 wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127918-Asus-Z690-APEX-Q-code-53-when-restarting-but-never-...

They are getting that problem because they are using memory that is not on the QVL List. But in my case, I am using the correct memory that is on the QVL List and am getting this error now with and without XMP enabled. Something seems off with the Z790 Hero boards One thing I did notice and that is the socket hight is different compared to the z690 hero I only know this because on my 1st z790 I wanted to use the Thermal grizzly contact frame but could not because the frame was raised by about 1 or 1/2 mm so did, I not bother because the frame would not sit flush with the motherboard. The screws on the Z790 HERO are longer than the Z690 hero too.

I am using an EKWB VELOCITY V2 and am thinking since the socket hight is different maybe it could be just too tight even though it does not seem like it but that could be the cause but will need to get another cooler to test this out which is a nightmare cause water cooling is never as simple as an aio.

Erwin05
Level 10
I dont find your memory F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS on the QVL list.

The F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS is for the Z690 MB.

The next line is your mistake.

The memory I am using F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS nothing special 6000MHz purchased 2021 this was on the QVL list for the Z690 Hero, so I am assuming it is same on the Z790 Hero QVL list too.

You assuming.

I have replaced this Z790 Hero with another Z790 Hero and that too is having this QCODE 53 error. why do u think this is?

You bought a 2nd Z790 HERO because u are using the wrong memory.