cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Rampage Extreme Missing NVMEs and AI Overclocking Problem

verdammte
Level 7
I just got an i9-12900KF, DDR5 RAM, and my Rampage Extreme board. However I'm having two issues:

1) When using the AI Overclocking the BIOS says it's running x54/x43 multipliers on the P/E cores, however, it never exceeds x52/x38 even when forced to max state
2) The board sees all 4 NVMEs in the BIOS, but only 3 show up in Windows.

For the first problem, when I forcibly set the x54 multiplier, the board does indeed run the P cores at the right speed, same for E cores, however the AI overclock does not. Aside from that, I'm interested in varying multiplier based on active cores, but I'm unsure of how to do that inside the BIOS. Is doing that the same as setting the individual core speeds per core or does that change the multiplier regardless of active cores?

For the second issue, I believe the problem is the distribution of PCI-E lanes that could be fixed by changing the distro related to the M.2 RAM card. However, I don't want to take lanes away from my GPU cause my GPU is in the bottom slot with the top slot empty because the active back waterplate is too big and can't be put in the top slot cause it hits the motherboard cooler. From what I can tell it's already running at only x8, which is bothersome, but I'm trying to ignore it cause the loss is minimal. I had the same issue with my prior x299 Extreme Encore board, but the PCI-E distro setting reads differently and I'm almost afraid to change it.

Just before this board I was using a temp MSI DDR4 board and it had no issues reading the NVMEs and I tested them in another computer, so I know they're good. They are not in RAID.

Specs:
-i9-12900KF
-RTX 3090
-T-Force Vulkan DDR5
-4 NVMEs
3 REPLIES 3

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi verdammte,
Do you mean when set AI Overclocking to AI optimized in bios, it shows x54/x43 multipliers on the P/E cores but it never exceeds x52/x38?
How do you check the actual multipliers?
If you restore bios to all default settings and only set AI Overclocking to AI optimized in bios, is it the same?
For NVMEs, which M.2 slots do you install the SSDs in?
If you change the disappeared SSD to other M.2 slot, does it show in windows?
May I have the bios version?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi verdammte,
Do you mean when set AI Overclocking to AI optimized in bios, it shows x54/x43 multipliers on the P/E cores but it never exceeds x52/x38?
How do you check the actual multipliers?
If you restore bios to all default settings and only set AI Overclocking to AI optimized in bios, is it the same?
For NVMEs, which M.2 slots do you install the SSDs in?
If you change the disappeared SSD to other M.2 slot, does it show in windows?
May I have the bios version?
Thank you.

It is bios version 0803, the newest. I can assure you the bios has been reset to defaults many, many times and yes, it remains the same. I'm checking the multipliers inside windows with CPUID HWMONITOR, so I know it is correct. It's also plain as day even if you were to only look at the task manager that never exceeds 5.2GHz even under torture tests, however that only provides one core reading, not including the E-cores.

As for the NVMEs. There are 4 NVMEs and 4 slots, so all of them. It does not matter which ones go in which slots, it will only recognise 3. If I change the PCI-E distro mode to the only other choice, then 2 drives disappear. Changing the recognition mode from Auto->SATA->PCIE makes no difference. From what I can see right now, If I want to get my 4th drive back, I need to put my GPU in the top slot, which I can't do since ASUS made the motherboard cooler so big that it blocks anything with a larger backplate from fitting in the slot and ASUS didn't give us any other PCI-E slots to work with other than the very bottom one, so here we are.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi verdammte,
Do you install NVMEs in M.2_1 slot, M.2_2 slot, M.2_3 slot and DIMM.2_1 slot via ROG DIMM.2? or DIMM.2_2 slot?
May I know which NVME install in each M.2 slot?
Which NVME or which M.2 slot disappear in windows?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- If the RTX 3090 is our product, please also share the serial number to me via PM.
- the brand and the model name of your RAM, NVMEs, PSU
(Please check the specific model name of the RAM such as G.SKILL F5-6000U4040A16GX2-RS5K)
- the bios settings
- screenshots of multipliers information in bios, CPUID HWMONITOR and the task manager
Thank you.