cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-G RAID1 always unsafe shutdown on clean power off

spatula75
Level 7
Still having this problem unfortunately, and hopeful that someone else may have seen it by now.

My boot drive is a RAID-1, comprised of a pair of M.2 Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB drives using VMD. I'm running Windows 11 Pro.

The issue is that 100% of the time, when I power the machine off, the RAID believes it has not been shut down cleanly (and the unsafe shutdown count increases for each drive), and on the next boot it goes through verifying everything again. It never finds any errors in the process, which makes me suspect that the final sync/flush probably DID happen, but the disks weren't marked clean before shutting down. This is reproducible always.

This problem does NOT happen when rebooting, only when powering completely off.

The RST VMD Controller and RST VMD Managed Controller driver versions are both 19.0.0.1067, which is the current release from the driver page. This happened both with the 1003 BIOS and now with the 1403 BIOS.
12 REPLIES 12

Oinkerino
Level 7
spatula75 wrote:
Still having this problem unfortunately, and hopeful that someone else may have seen it by now.

My boot drive is a RAID-1, comprised of a pair of M.2 Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB drives using VMD. I'm running Windows 11 Pro.

The issue is that 100% of the time, when I power the machine off, the RAID believes it has not been shut down cleanly (and the unsafe shutdown count increases for each drive), and on the next boot it goes through verifying everything again. It never finds any errors in the process, which makes me suspect that the final sync/flush probably DID happen, but the disks weren't marked clean before shutting down. This is reproducible always.

This problem does NOT happen when rebooting, only when powering completely off.

The RST VMD Controller and RST VMD Managed Controller driver versions are both 19.0.0.1067, which is the current release from the driver page. This happened both with the 1003 BIOS and now with the 1403 BIOS.

Have you tried disabling fast startup in windows 11?

Oinkerino wrote:
Have you tried disabling fast startup in windows 11?

Yes, that was one of the first things I did after building the system. My experience has been that fast startup causes nothing but problems. Unfortunately, it had no effect.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi spatula75,
Do you see the unsafe shutdown count increasing after click shutdown option in windows and switch off the PSU?
Does it also occur on bios 1403 with bios all default settings?
Did you download RST VMD Controller and RST VMD Managed Controller driver versions 19.0.0.1067 from Intel official driver page?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi spatula75,
Do you see the unsafe shutdown count increasing after click shutdown option in windows and switch off the PSU?
Does it also occur on bios 1403 with bios all default settings?
Did you download RST VMD Controller and RST VMD Managed Controller driver versions 19.0.0.1067 from Intel official driver page?
Thank you.

Yes, the unsafe shutdown count increases each time I power off from Windows, even though it shuts down gracefully. The unsafe shutdown count does NOT increase on a reboot; only on a power-off.

It does occur with default BIOS settings with BIOS 1403. It has been happening with every BIOS since the board was new.

I didn't download 19.0.0.1067 from the Intel site; I got it from the ASUS support site for the board, but the installed driver does report 19.0.1067 (for both) and the signature is Intel's, so presumably it's the same driver.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi spatula75,
Have you tried with other SSD drives to set RAID 1 but had the same issue?
Which M.2 slots do you install a pair of M.2 Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB drives in?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, and PSU
(Please check the specific model name of the RAM such as ADATA AX5U6000C4016G-DCLARBK.)
- the firmware version of your M.2 Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB drives
- OS version and OS build such as win11 21H2 22000.469
- a video about how you power off the pc and see unsafe shutdown count increasing
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi spatula75,
Have you tried with other SSD drives to set RAID 1 but had the same issue?
Which M.2 slots do you install a pair of M.2 Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB drives in?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your CPU, RAM, graphics card, and PSU
(Please check the specific model name of the RAM such as ADATA AX5U6000C4016G-DCLARBK.)
- the firmware version of your M.2 Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB drives
- OS version and OS build such as win11 21H2 22000.469
- a video about how you power off the pc and see unsafe shutdown count increasing
Thank you.

I don't have any other SSD drives to try in this system.
The drives are installed in M.2 slots M2_1 and M2_3 (the two with thermal pads).

The CPU is an Intel i9-12900K.
The RAM is a pair of Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQK DDR5 sticks for a total of 64GB, inserted into slots A2 and B2
I'm using onboard graphics only.
PSU is a 1000W Seasonic PX-1000 (Prime PX)
Drive firmware is 3B2QGXA7 on both drives
OS is Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 21H2, build 22000.613

I will PM you the serial number and the next time I power down I will record some video.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi spatula75,
Thank you for your reply and the serial number.
Look forward to you video sharing.

It's not going to look like much... just me clicking the windows icon, clicking the power icon, and choosing "shut down" and then showing a RAID verify starting upon restarting the machine.

I'm in the middle of debugging an unrelated intermittent driver issue which requires leaving my machine on for the next week or so right now though (looks like it was probably the bug in Sonic Studio 3 that many others have reported causing system hangs, but I want to be sure everything is very stable before I go on vacation next month).

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi spatula75,
Did you switch off the PSU after shutdown the pc?
Did you capture a photo of a RAID verify starting upon restarting the machine?
May I have a photo of it and a screenshot of unsafe shutdown count?
Thank you.