cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many NVME's ??

madspec
Level 7
Hi!

Long story short, I had a ROG Strix Z-690 E-Gaming WIfI motherboard that I had to RMA 3 times (It literally caught fire the first time, then the memory controller just died for the last two rma's, and killed both memory sticks in the process), complete nightmare... But that board saw all of my 4 NVME's and all 4 running at GEN 4. I finally snaped and got a ROG Maximus Z690 Hero. No more memory problem but I'm having issues running all 4 NVME's in GEN 4. All 4 drives are WD Black SN850's and are GEN 4 type drives.

If I read the manuel right, the top nvme slot is cpu bound, so this one is used for my OS. Every other nvme slots are chipset bound, so these drives are for my data and games.

So, the manual says that the M.2_2 Slot is PCI-e 3.0, the Strix Z690 are all PCI-e 4.0....Don't know why Asus downgraded that slot to 3.0 at almost double the price tag. If I want to run all my NVME's in PCI-e 4.0, I have to use the ROG Hyper M.2 card, this card can run 2 x GEN 4.0 in the PCIEX16(G4) slot as per documentation. Thing is, it only detects one of the drives, like if it was installed in the PCIEX16(G5)_2 slot.

You guys have any idea what's going on here? I truly love Asus but these couple of months have been a nightmare.

Any info would be appriciated.

Thanks
Intel I9 12900K - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO - G-Skill TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR5 @ 6400Mhz - Lian Li 360 AIO - Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 2TB NVME - EVGA 1300G PSU -
3 REPLIES 3

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi madspec,
Please refer to the following link for Hyper M.2 series Cards.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507/
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi madspec,
Please refer to the following link for Hyper M.2 series Cards.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507/
Thank you.

This is not the same card, the card that comes with the motherboard has only 2 slots for NVME's. So I can't use those configs for mine....

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi madspec,
Sorry for my misunderstanding.
If you remove all drives from M.2 slot and only install ROG Hyper M.2 card in the PCIEX16(G4), does it detect one or two of the drives?
Thank you.