cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RX 7900 XTX causes BSoD

simsrw73
Level 7
I just got my ASUS Radeon RX 7900 XTX and installed it in my system last week. When I installed, I ran Heaven and everything tested well. Spent a few hours playing games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. But it started crashing/freezing at idle or while browsing internet. I was/am confused about the power requirements. I knew my Corsair 850 RM was at best at the bottom end of the reqs and after the freezes I figured it wasn't enough so I put my 970 back in and ordered a Seasonic TX1300. Got it, installed it and the Radeon again, but that didn't change anything. Still crashing. I had used the Driver Removal tool to remove my old Nvidia drivers, but thought maybe some remnants were causing problems, so I did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro. No change. I still get frequent crashes/freezes/BSoD. Pull out the Radeon and put my old 970 back in and everything runs fine. No problems. Put the Radeon back in and crash. Why is this card giving me fits? I've been trying to upgrade my GPU for 4 years now. I finally got a card and should be set, but instead I'm banging my head on the desk. What is causing this? I found one discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/102cfzd/7900_xtx_idle_crashes_and_windows_power_mode/. But none of the suggestions there help.

Motherboard: ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 Rev1.xx
Processor: Intel i7-12700KF
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (F4-3600C19Q-32)
Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime TX 1300

What should I do?
1 REPLY 1

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, simsrw73.

May I ask what is the meaning of Rev1.xx of the ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4?
Is the model name of the GPU ASUS Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB GDDR6?
Please refer to the link below to confirm whether the memory you are currently installing is listed on the QVL list.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043883/

Meanwhile, could you please confirm the following question?
- the current OS build, BIOS version, and the content of the setting in BIOS (or whether it is the default)
- the serial numbers of your motherboard and GPU via pm
- the brand and model name of the SSDcurrently installed

Thank you.
Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂