cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG X670E E-Gaming Motherbord

F1Aussie
Level 11
Hi all, I really like the look and features of the E-Gaming mobo and am wondering if it will run two Gen5 M.2 ssd without impacting any other pcie lanes. I believe that it is the case when using the M.2_3 slot it will reduce the PCie x16_1 slot down to x8 as it is mentioned in the manual, I have read that as that is linked to the pcie x16_1 slot but there are two other gen5 M.2 slots that are not linked to that pcie x16_1 slot it is those two that I am curious to know if both can be used at the same time like with one as a C drive and the other as a D drive without eating into any of the pcie lanes from the cpu. Those slots are M.2_1 and M.2_2. They are not mentioned in the manual as being linked to anything.
Cheers
6 REPLIES 6

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi F1Aussie,
As you mentioned only M.2_3 slot will reduce the PCie x16_1 slot down to x8 in the ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI manual, M.2_1 and M.2_2 will not impact any other pcie lanes.
Thank you.

Great, that is what I was hoping, thanks for the prompt reply.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi F1Aussie,
As you mentioned only M.2_3 slot will reduce the PCie x16_1 slot down to x8 in the ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI manual, M.2_1 and M.2_2 will not impact any other pcie lanes.
Thank you.

A follow up question, does the thunderbolt header take up pcie lanes? If it does I assume it would take lanes away from the second M.2 slot? Or it only does this if the thunderbolt header is used?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi F1Aussie,
The thunderbolt header doesn't take up pcie lanes but it would take up 4 pcie lanes when thunderbolt card installed in.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi F1Aussie,
The thunderbolt header doesn't take up pcie lanes but it would take up 4 pcie lanes when thunderbolt card installed in.
Thank you.

That is awesome, thanks for that info! I just have to wait for one to become available now. Cheers

Just curious. Why would it matter if the first slot ran at 8x speed. It's pcie5 so that would be equivalent to pcie gen 4 at 16x. Even the brand new 4090 is only pci gen 4. I am also interested in this board. I would definitely like to populate all the nvme slots. I guess I could buy a card and pop it in the 2nd pice slot. But in theory this would only make a difference on future cards that don't exist yet. Maybe rDNA 3 but I already have an Nvidia card. As a side note I hope I can get some decent timings on my ram. I got some 6400 cl32 stuff. Maybe later on who knows