cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG x570 Extreme USB Charging?

mitsakos156
Level 7
Greetings, so i own a ROG x570 extreme, and i recentely found out that thunderbolt 4 can charge up to 100w.

Therefore i bought a usb -c to usb -c cable that is qualified as Quick charge 3.0 15W. (NOT a thunderbolt cable)

i can only see on my device charging with ~1.8A which doesnt make sense to me. i tried both rear slots on the motherboard same result.

whats weird is that my case that is Lian Li 011XL front usb -c port, charges the phone with 2.8A, which gets power from the motherboard.

Do i have to get a thunderbolt cable in order to get the most charging speed out of it? and how come onboard slots give less power than the case slot? (which is connected on the motherboard.)

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi mitsakos156,
Do you try the same usb -c to usb -c cable and device in rear port and front I/O port?
Do you have the same result on bios 0801 with bios all default settings(no OC)?
May I know how you check the charging speed?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi mitsakos156,
Do you try the same usb -c to usb -c cable and device in rear port and front I/O port?
Do you have the same result on bios 0801 with bios all default settings(no OC)?
May I know how you check the charging speed?
Thank you.

hey there, i was pretty sure i was on the latest BIOS, which i wasnt. so 1st off i loaded default settings (i was OC). same charging results,
then i updated to 0801, i tried with same charging results. then i OC'ed 0801 same results.

yes its the same cable while trying to charge from motherboard itself, and from the front of the Lian Li case.

i am measuring with an android app called Ampere attaching pics.

2730mA is from the usb c of the case
1710mA is from the motherboards thunderbolt 4 usb c.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi mitsakos156,
May I double confirm after you updated to 0801, the bios settings was all default and no OC?
Have you tried another usb -c to usb -c cable and another device for charging but the same result?
Thank you.