cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix X670E-E wired network problem on Win11 (driver issue?)

shokwavxb
Level 7
I just put together a new Windows 11 system based on the Rog Strix X670E-E Gaming motherboard. I have been troubleshooting a wired network problem this week. In short, the Intel Ethernet i225-V (rev3) drivers (1.0.2.14 and 1.1.3.28) do not work well on transmit/upload traffic across the Internet for me (weirdly, internal home network file transfers work fine).

I've tested the same physical cabling with multiple other systems and they work fine (Windows 11 also but different wired NICs).

Running the same network speed and copy tests when booted from a Ubuntu live USB shows no problems.

During the Win11 build I didn't notice a problem as I was mostly just downloading apps/drivers. When I started gaming (MSFS/PUBG/DCS) and transferring files up to Google Drive I noticed the network on transmit would fall off to almost nothing. This was confirmed with speed test runs as well.

At least the WiFi connectivity works great, but I have a wired connection and I want to be able to use it.

My next step is try to flip through more Intel I225-V Win11 drivers in search of a fix. Anyone run into something similar on these Intel I225-V NICs?
29 REPLIES 29

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Microsoft recommend to the Ethernet controllers manufacturer the use of NetAdapterCx drivers type and not NDIS drivers type (legacy) for Windows 11 :

- Realtek has decided to totally comply with Microsoft's recommendation : Realtek use NetAdapterCx drivers type with Windows 11 for all Ethernet controllers exceeding gigabit or not (the Windows 10/NDIS drivers type remain Windows 11 compatible for a specific use incompatible with NetAdapterCx).

- Intel has decided to partially comply with Microsoft's recommendation : Intel use NetAdapterCx drivers type only with the the combination Windows 11 + Ethernet controllers exceeding gigabit like Intel I225-V/I226-V (the Windows 10/NDIS drivers type remain Windows 11 compatible for a specific use incompatible with NetAdapterCx).

- Marvell/Aquantia has decided to ignore Microsoft's recommendation : Marvell only use NDIS drivers type (legacy) with Windows 10 & Windows 11 for all Ethernet controllers.

Then each motherboard manufacturer does as it sees fit regarding the drivers it offers to its customers (hence the fact that you don't have Intel Ethernet 2.x.x.xx drivers in your motherboard support page).

So, to coming back to your case (Windows 11 + Intel I225-V Ethernet 2.5GbE controllers), I recommend that you try NetAdapterCx drivers type first and switch to NDIS drivers type only if you have an issue :

Windows 11/NetAdapterCx Drivers (2.x.x.xx) : More efficient than NDIS drivers type because of more low level access to the controller than NDIS drivers type, but can generate side effects due to the non-support of NetAdapterCx by other apps or system addons features. If you encounter any issue with NetAdapterCx drivers type, switch to the NDIS drivers type.

https://learn.microsoft.com/windows-hardware/drivers/netcx/

Windows 10/NDIS Drivers (1.x.x.xx) : NDIS drivers type is the legacy drivers type used for all other Intel Ethernet gigabit controllers drivers whether for Windows 10 drivers or Windows 11 drivers, this drivers type will give you better stability/compatibility.

Also for information, you need these drivers for your ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi motherboard :

[DRIVERS] AMD Chipset/RAID (3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/TRX40)

- AMD Chipset Drivers

[DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Intel Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - I225/I226

- Intel WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - AX21x

- Intel Bluetooth Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - 8xxx/9xxx/AXxxx

[DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (Intel 5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 5xx/6xx/TRX40)

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Microsoft recommend to the Ethernet controllers manufacturer the use of NetAdapterCx drivers type and not NDIS drivers type (legacy) for Windows 11 :

- Realtek has decided to totally comply with Microsoft's recommendation : Realtek use NetAdapterCx drivers type with Windows 11 for all Ethernet controllers exceeding gigabit or not (the Windows 10/NDIS drivers type remain Windows 11 compatible for a specific use incompatible with NetAdapterCx).

- Intel has decided to partially comply with Microsoft's recommendation : Intel use NetAdapterCx drivers type only with the the combination Windows 11 + Ethernet controllers exceeding gigabit like Intel I225-V/I226-V (the Windows 10/NDIS drivers type remain Windows 11 compatible for a specific use incompatible with NetAdapterCx).

- Marvell/Aquantia has decided to ignore Microsoft's recommendation : Marvell only use NDIS drivers type (legacy) with Windows 10 & Windows 11 for all Ethernet controllers.

Then each motherboard manufacturer does as it sees fit regarding the drivers it offers to its customers (hence the fact that you don't have Intel Ethernet 2.x.x.xx drivers in your motherboard support page).

So, to coming back to your case (Windows 11 + Intel I225-V Ethernet 2.5GbE controllers) :

- If you are using Windows 11 22H2, do not use network copy tests as your test will be skewed as there is a known issue from Microsoft : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/slower-smb-read-performance-for-large-fi...
- I recommend that you try NetAdapterCx drivers type first and switch to NDIS drivers type only if you have an issue :

Windows 11/NetAdapterCx Drivers (2.x.x.xx) : More efficient than NDIS drivers type because of more low level access to the controller than NDIS drivers type, but can generate side effects due to the non-support of NetAdapterCx by other apps or system addons features. If you encounter any issue with NetAdapterCx drivers type, switch to the NDIS drivers type.

Windows 10/NDIS Drivers (1.x.x.xx) : NDIS drivers type is the legacy drivers type used for all other Intel Ethernet gigabit controllers drivers whether for Windows 10 drivers or Windows 11 drivers, this drivers type will give you better stability/compatibility.

Also for information, you need these drivers for your ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi motherboard :

- AMD Chipset Drivers

Drivers - I225/I226

Drivers - AX21x

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

So, to coming back to your case (Windows 11 + Intel I225-V Ethernet 2.5GbE controllers) :

- If you are using Windows 11 22H2, do not use network copy tests as your test will be skewed as there is a known issue from Microsoft : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/slower-smb-read-performance-for-large-fi...

- I recommend that you try NetAdapterCx drivers type first and switch to NDIS drivers type only if you have an issue :

- AMD Chipset Drivers

Drivers - I225/I226

Drivers - AX21x

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

I have provided an answer that will be useful to you here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130857-Intel-Ethernet-Drivers-Question

Note : If you are using Windows 11 22H2, do not use network copy tests as your test will be skewed as there is a known issue from Microsoft : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/slower-smb-read-performance-for-large-fi...

- AMD Chipset Drivers

Drivers - I225/I226

Drivers - AX21x

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

I have provided an answer that will be useful to you here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130857-Intel-Ethernet-Drivers-Question

Also for information, if you are using Windows 11 22H2, do not use network copy tests as your test will be skewed as there is a known issue from Microsoft : https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/slower-smb-read-performance-for-large-fi...

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

*none of this fixes the connection issue with wired network. I just purchased a rog strix z690-f and have this same issue. I should not have to buy a pcie nic card as a workaround to your faulty motherboards.

I have also big problem with the Intel i225-V on the Asus Strix x670e E Gaming Wifi and use Windows 11 22H2. I have test many driver and always the same issues. When I do a network test, the speed is correct, but I still get errors from my provider. If I do a test from another device, but everything fits. If you unplug the LAN cable and plug it back in, I only have 10% of the speed and I have to restart the router to get the LAN working again. I also have this only on the PC. LAN cable I have already tested various without improvement. Therefore, it is 100% an issue with the installed Intel LAN chip, which is very annoying at the overpriced price for the motherboard.

I have an i225-V (rev3), I use the driver directly from Intel version 2.1.1.7, of all the ones I tried it works the best.

I use the Driver from @MoKiChU.