cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI - Asus website has the WRONG wifi/bluetooth drivers!

davidhhh
Level 8
I recently bought the Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI motherboard.
The board has a built-in ******AMD/MEDIATEK***** wifi/bluetooth card, NOT the INTEL card that is on some of their other motherboards (including my previous x570 TUF Gaming wifi). But the ASUS support website for this specific motherboard is listing the wifi and bluetooth drivers for the wrong Intel card that's NOT on this board.
The Manual itself shows that the board contains the V-M.2 PCIE WI-FI CARD AMD RZ616
- AMD Wi-Fi 6E RZ616 (Model: MT7922A22M):
(Mediatek manufactures this for AMD.)

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x670e-a-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download/
shows:
Intel WiFi Driver V22.170.0.3 For Windows 10/11 64-bit. and
Intel Bluetooth Driver V22.170.0.2 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Again, these are the WRONG drivers for a card that's not on this board. If you weren't knowledgeable or didn't click on "show all " and weren't paying attention to notice that the listed drivers had changed, you'd have no way of knowing that you were installing the wrong drivers for this motherboard!

They originally listed the correct drivers, back in September when the board first came out. But for some reason, a few months ago, someone at the company messed up, and started updating the wifi and bluetooth drivers sections on the page with new drivers for the WRONG wifi and bluetooth, for the Intel card NOT on this board. They've repeated this mistake several times, with new updates for these wrong drivers.

You can still find the old, outdated versions of the correct drivers if you click on "show all" in each category. Doing that shows the correct, but old:
AMD WIFI V3.3.0.467 for Windows 11,Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL) and
AMD BT V1.723.0.164 for Windows 11,Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL).
AMD uses mediatek cards for their wifi/bluetooth cards. These are the cards on this motherboard, NOT Intel ones.

They have released several updated drivers since these old ones, originally listed on Asus' website.
The latest AMD|MediaTek wifi drivers I know of is 3.3.0.723.
The latest AMD|MediaTek bluetooth drivers I know of is 1.930.0.262.
Both are several months more recent than the outdated ones listed on Asus' site. I have these updated drivers installed on my PC, and they work fine.
For anyone who needs them, one helpful user on this forum has actually posted these updated drivers here:
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/drivers-amd-mediatek-wifi-bluetooth.11384/

Luckily, the ASUS Armoury Crate app doesn't install the incorrect Intel divers listed on their website. Instead it looks for the OLD, but correct drivers.
|
Still, it would be helpful if Asus actually posted the correct and updated drivers on their own website, instead of asking their customers to install incorrect drivers and sending them all over the net looking for the correct updated drivers.

Feel free to forward this post and information to the appropriate people at Asus!
3 REPLIES 3

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, davidhhh .

Thank you for asking about Intel and AMD drivers. I have confirm with relevant departments.
As for the driver version, generally speaking, after AMD releases Wi-Fi or Bluetooth drivers, we will test the compatibility with our products (in this situation, motherboards), and after confirming that there is no problem, we will release it on the corresponding product support page on the official website, so the driver update timing will be later than AMD's.

Besides the driver version release timing, may I ask if there is any abnormality in your use?

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, davidhhh .

Thank you for asking about Intel and AMD drivers. I have confirm with relevant departments.
As for the driver version, generally speaking, after AMD releases Wi-Fi or Bluetooth drivers, we will test the compatibility with our products (in this situation, motherboards), and after confirming that there is no problem, we will release it on the corresponding product support page on the official website, so the driver update timing will be later than AMD's.

Besides the driver version release timing, may I ask if there is any abnormality in your use?

Thank you.

No, it's just working fine. Honestly, I don't even use wifi all that often, since my PC is hooked up via LAN. I just regularly check both your site and Armoury Crate for updates, and noticed this change a few months back, and was wondering if I was using the wrong drivers.

I see that you've removed the Intel drivers from pages for both the Strix x670E-A and the x670E-F. Thanks! Hopefully, you'll have updated AMD/Mediatek drivers up soon.

Mack023
Level 9

My problem is fixed by setting your WiFi Network to connect automatically.