cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega USB Ports Died Then Whole PC Died

domingo_up
Level 7
This is my first post ever, so please bear with me. I hope my specs show up in my signature when this is complete, if not I will post them asap. I am writing this post from an iPad because I have nothing else, this gives you an idea of my current state.

I purchased all of the parts in the Netherlands in 2019, assembled the PC myself and everything was working perfectly until I moved to Busan, South Korea. I disassembled the PC, put all the main parts in their original packaging and reassembled it in Busan at the end of September. I also installed a new Samsung 2TB SSD when I reassembled the PC. When I reassembled the PC everything seemed fine until the following events happened, a slow decline into whole PC death:

• The top row of USB ports in the back stopped working, they charge some devices but the OS stopped recognizing anything plugged into them.
  • The PC was working fine, just the 4 top USB ports didn’t work, so I was able to continue working for another month and a half while slowly researching this problem and trying some solutions I found on this forum.
  • I performed a CMOS reset using the rear button and after also removing the MB battery for 15s, nothing fixed
  • I upgraded the BIOS to the most recent version, nothing fixed
  • I installed Windows 11, nothing fixed
  • I checked power settings and disabled “selective suspension” on USB ports, nothing fixed
  • I checked BIOS settings to make sure in Advanced Settings the USB controllers were all enabled (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101049-USB-3-0-is-not-working-in-3-1-Asus-ROG-Apex-VI), nothing fixed
  • I reinstalled the ASMedia USB drivers by deleting them in Device Manager and having Windows auto reinstall, nothing fixed
  • I tried all different monitor configurations between DP and HDMI, changing cords, changing monitors… etc, (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103267-Sudden-asmedia-USB-problems-Asus-rampage-vi-extreme), nothing fixed
  • I upgraded the ASMedia USB firmware using instructions from the ROG forum (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126312-NEW-ASMEDIA-3142-USB-Controller-HUB-Firmware-Versio...), nothing fixed
  • The morning of 11/07 I upgraded the ASMedia firmware and I restarted the PC a few times to check if the upgrade was successful. The firmware was updated, but USB ports still could not recognize devices. PC was still able to boot and restart fine.
  • I came back in the late afternoon of 11/07 and the PC would not boot, just fans spinning.
  • I know the voltage is slightly different in Korea vs the Netherlands, but not sure if that has anything to do with my PC dying. Just weird that this issue kept getting worse and worse, from 4 USB ports not working to the whole PC dying.

I saw that some of these solutions worked and some didn’t. For me, none worked and my PC ended up completely dying. No boot, when I turn it on, just all fans spinning at max speed. The MB lights turned on, but no boot… I love my rig, so much, it hurt to see it this way. *
I disassembled my PC and shipped it to a repair shop in Korea. I am going to post the their diagnosis here to inform everyone of what they found as this seems to be a common issue with this motherboard. Also, ASUS support in the Netherlands was completely useless. They said to just contact the vendor and discuss this problem with them and think about an RMA, zero help or engineer troubleshooting. ASUS support in Korea was much nicer, but could not help as these were purchased in the Netherlands and beyond their jurisdiction.*

I am reaching out to this community for ideas, help, support. Any insight you can provide will be sincerely appreciated. I will post the repair shops findings here as soon as they get back to me with their diagnosis. *
ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Intel Core i9-7920X, 2066 socket, 12 core @ 2,9GHz-4,3GHz
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16S-16GVK, 16GB, DDR4, 3.200Mhz (x2)
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Extreme, 8GB GDDR6, 3x DP, HDMI
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
HGST Ultrastar 7K6 SATA (512e, SE), 6TB
Noctua NH-D15
Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black
Corsair HX1000i
Windows 11
4 REPLIES 4

domingo_up
Level 7
My specs:
Motherboard: ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Processor: Intel Core i9-7920X, 2066 socket, 12 core @ 2,9GHz-4,3GHz
Memory (part number): G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16S-16GVK, 16GB, DDR4, 3.200Mhz (x2)
Graphics Card #1: Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Extreme, 8GB GDDR6, 3x DP, HDMI
Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U (x2)
Storage #1: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Storage #2:*Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Storage #3: HGST Ultrastar 7K6 SATA (512e, SE), 6TB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Noctua NH-D15
Corsair HX1000i
Windows 11

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi domingo.up,
Do you use the original power supply in Korea or buy the new one?
I suggest buy a now one in Korea to correspond to the voltage in Korea.
Is any qled on while no boot? Please refer to the following link.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632/
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi domingo.up,
Do you use the original power supply in Korea or buy the new one?
I suggest buy a now one in Korea to correspond to the voltage in Korea.
Is any qled on while no boot? Please refer to the following link.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632/
Thank you.

Thank you for the response, Starrain. I used my original power source I purchased from the Netherlands. The Motherboard lights up and all fans spin at max speed (except GPU fans) but no boot. I also asked this voltage question to the ASUS support email and this was their response: *

—Installing an M.2 device should not affect the USB controller. The PCH voltage is controlled by the motherboard not the power outlet of your house. And still there is a power supply between the power outlet and the motherboard which provides the motherboard of the correct currency. The USB controller is maintained by Microsoft as the drivers are since Windows 8 implemented within Windows itself.—

They said my power supply should regulate the correct voltage to my Motherboard and should not have caused this problem. However, I can ask this question to the repair station also and see if my power source from the Netherlands caused this issue. If it is confirmed that my power source did cause this issue I will post it here after the repair shop diagnosis.
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Noctua NH-D15
Corsair HX1000i
Windows 11

domingo_up
Level 7
Finally have my rig repaired and all is working well. This was the problem: I purchased all my parts in the Netherlands and brought them to Korea. My power bank, a Corsair HX1000i, for some reason did not switch voltages upon first start up. It was supposed to automatically, but did not. It may have been the capacitors storing the Netherlands voltage for a few days and when Korean voltage went into my system it messed up my Motherboard. But the row of USBs not working is a very bad sign of a bad power supply or dying motherboard that should not be ignored.*
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Noctua NH-D15
Corsair HX1000i
Windows 11