cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with an NVME SSD

HappyFlygon
Level 7
I've been using an NVME drive in my rig for almost exactly a year now (ordered October 29th), and up until a couple weeks ago, it was acting fine.... A windows update hit, and all the sudden, I couldn't boot into the drive, only my backup drive. Going into bios, it doesn't even show up, when going into windows, it doesn't show up, even in drive manager, but I DO see an error in device manager, with the error being "This Device Cannot Start. (Code 10) An I/O adapter hardware error has occured.". Booting into a Linux jump-drive, it doesn't show up. When putting it in a USB adapter, it DOES show up in disk management, but needs to be initialized and I'm not clear on whether it would erase all my data or not. Posting here because it's an ASUS motherboard, and I'm starting to suspect it's a hardware issue, as I ran into this when I first got the machine but somehow got it to start working again....... At least until now.

Specs, to help diagnose:
MB: Asus TUF B450 Pro Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: 16GB GEIL Super Luce
SSD (NVME): Silicon Power A60 1TB
SSD (2.5"): Silicon Power A55 256GB
HDD1: WD Blue 1TB
HDD2: WD Blue 2TB
GPU: RTX 2070
PSU: ThermalTake RGB 500W

I've tried everything from reseating it (including every time I put it back in after attempting adapters) to updating the bios on the motherboard, I haven't attempted to initialize it in the adapter yet since I don't wanna risk losing everything if I don't understand what it does correctly) to putting it in my Laptop (which I later learned only supports a limited amount of SSDs).
7 REPLIES 7

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi HappyFlygon,

The cause might be the ssd itself. If you use other ssd or the ssd after initialized and it show up, it is not the motherboard hardware related.
Please put it in a USB adapter and try hard drive recovery tool to recover the partition, but I'm not sure the files in the ssd would be back or not.
Thank you.

Is there a good, free recovery tool I can use for this? And would initializing the drive erase any data?
Thanks for the response.

Also, I don't have any other SSDs or NVME-compatible motherbaords, but the drive DOES show up in a USB drive, it just needs to be initialized because of how the usb drive works.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi HappyFlygon,

Unfortunately, in my opinion, initializing the drive would erase data.
I'm sorry I'm not sure which recovery tool is good for your condition.
Maybe it is better to discuss the using experience with other users on the forum.
Thank you.

Alright, thank you for your help. One last question, though, do you think I could still use a recovery tool if the drive will not show up in bios and will only show up when it's placed in a USB drive?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi HappyFlygon,

If it shows up in disk management in a USB drive, it is possible to use a hard drive recovery tool.
Thank you.

It no longer shows up anywhere.
I'm declaring it dead and moving on.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi HappyFlygon,

If it no longer shows up in a USB drive, please consult the ssd manufacturer for help.
Thank you.